RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2018, 11:25 PM   #1

Sprinter Starting Issue

Have a new Winnebago View 24D. On our trip from Iowa to Arizona the vehicle failed to start twice. Both times were after 300miles of driving. I disconnected the chassis battery (not sure this impacted the situation) and waited a short period (5min). It then started. Anybody else have this problem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2018, 11:37 PM   #2

You might look at this post from a couple days ago.

Won't Start

AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #3

I just added this post to the other one linked. I'll put it up here, in case it helps with this issue.

This sounds like a problem I had with a 1973 Ford Mustang about 40 years ago.

Drive for a while and after engine gets up to operating temperature, shut it off, for any reason. Then try to restart it, and no crank at all. Or, occasionally the dreaded dead/dying battery clicking of the solenoid. Wait a while and sometimes it would start.

The cause of that problem was related to the type of softer metal used in the electrical connections at the starter motor itself. The studs and nuts/washers used to secure the negative cable on the starter, were heating up over time, causing them to expand and contract, and eventually loosen enough with the vibration of driving, such that the amount of current getting through was insufficient to get the starter motor to engage and crank the engine.

The fix was double nutting, or adding a locking nut (or both) instead of the single standard washer/nut to tighten and secure the negative cable to the stud on the starter motor.
There was also a temporary field fix, if you could trace the negative cable to the starter motor, and tug or wiggle it a bit, it would sometimes make enough of a connection that the starter would turn the engine over.

EDIT: This has happened to me on my Navion, but not after a longish period of driving, and only the one time. In the driveway. It did start a few seconds later. I may have tried to start it too soon, before the self test/chiming had completed. I was in a hurry.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, just happened to me the other day. Very short 10 mile trip , had lunch, went to start it and wouldn’t start until the third try...
New 2018 View 24J
ViewFromHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
There are several "won't start" scenarios, which one are you experiencing? Does the engine crank and not start or does the engine not crank. Makes a big difference in troubleshoot.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
There are several "won't start" scenarios, which one are you experiencing? Does the engine crank and not start or does the engine not crank. Makes a big difference in troubleshoot.
Mine does nor crank. The battery appears to be strong. You turn the key and nothing happens. All the ignition indicators light but no cranking happens.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcubed50 View Post
Mine does nor crank. The battery appears to be strong. You turn the key and nothing happens. All the ignition indicators light but no cranking happens.
One of the scenarios (I believe) is trying to start "too soon".
When you turn the key to the "run" position and the self test with all the dash lights starts, there's usually a chime sounding as well. I recall my dealer said it's a good idea to wait until the chiming stops, before engaging the "start" key position. Effectively, you're trying to start it "too soon".
Does that fit your situation?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #8

I had this problem, after driving for a couple of hours if I turned off the engine I would have to wait about 20 minutes before it would start. Everything seemed normal when you turn the key with the dash lights and chimes. But it would not start or even click.

The fix was having the transmission valve-body replaced, that is where the switch that knows the transmission is in park is located. That fixed my problems.

This is a link to a video showing the problem I had.

https://youtu.be/gE9vmgpM9Cs