Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 11:34 PM   #1

Question Storing a Sprinter all winter...

Howdy - looking for opinions here - 2nd winter with my Sprinter-based Prism "B+". Last winter I would start it and let it run for 1/2 hr + about every other week. Others have suggested this isn't a good practice - better to just park it and let it sit all winter, that I really can't get it up to normal operating temperature doing what I did. I'm in NH, and keep it at home under a Adco cover, so taking it on the road really isn't an option, either. So...what does everyone else do??? ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

Change the oil before storage; to get any contaminants out of the pan; and parked for the off season.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #3

Alaska
Winterize, cover, fresh oil, top off the DEF, charge the batteries, disconnect the chassis battery near the gas pedal, fresh winter formula fuel, park it. Running it without getting to operating temp. allows moisture in the crank case.
I don't have access to constant power so I can't leave it on a battery minder, but I do charge the batteries with Ctec 25000 to top off several times during the winter.
Run the generator/turn on electric heat to put a load on the generator every month.
I hope that helps, not the best options but digging it out to run it would be a job plus I'd have to take the cover on and off. Even with a good cover I sometimes find ice on the roof.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:50 AM   #4

Does anyone know is Mercedes Benz recommends adding anything to the fuel tank if the Sprinter is going to sit during winter months ?

TIA
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
Does anyone know is Mercedes Benz recommends adding anything to the fuel tank if the Sprinter is going to sit during winter months ?

TIA
From what I've read, Mercedes recommends NOT adding any fuel additives. Fill the tank with fuel prior to storage.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:06 PM   #6

In Alaska we switch over to a winter blend (October) which has all the additives in it, still many of my non-Sprinter friends use additives. Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel is rated to 14 degrees Fahrenheit. If you are using Bio Diesel, most Northern state cut back to 2%.

Check with your local distributor for fuel content. Whatever you find, fuel it to the top to keep the moisture out of the tank and slow down any degradation of the fuel.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:26 PM   #7

Maritime PNW:

We rarely see snow or freezing temps and can usually head out for a weekend each winter month. I'm questioning if we even need to winterize but that's a roll of the dice. Never did with our travel trailer.
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #8

At least drain the water heater, one of my friends had to replace the water heater $1500. Blow out the lines cheap insurance.

Tags
winter