Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
Camper Kem. I'm sorry, my question was not clear. I was curious as to why you didn't use the tire manufacturer's recommendations after you contacted them with your data.
I added a few pounds to the pressures recommended by Continental to account for varying weight load I might be carrying. I guess I'm thinking of the extra PSI as a safety measure. By running the tires at these pressures which are slightly less than the 61 lbs that Winnebago lists on the door jam, the coach also rides a bit better.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 09:48 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
I added a few pounds to the pressures recommended by Continental to account for varying weight load I might be carrying. I guess I'm thinking of the extra PSI as a safety measure. By running the tires at these pressures which are slightly less than the 61 lbs that Winnebago lists on the door jam, the coach also rides a bit better.

Camper Ken, thanks. I drive an ERA and Winnebago and Continental both recommend 61, all around. I have found 59 indeed does ride better.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
Camper Ken, thanks. I drive an ERA and Winnebago and Continental both recommend 61, all around. I have found 59 indeed does ride better.
Anyone including me who decides on a different tire pressure than recommended by Winnebago and/or Continental does so as their own risk and must assume responsibility for such action.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:46 AM   #18

You 2 with Continental tires , can look for me on sidewall, if , yust as in Europe, they give psi directly behind sises without AT in front of it, and somewhere else something like " maximum inflation pressure of 10 psi higher ?
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
jadatis, I do not understand, what is your question. If you are asking me the pressure stamped on the sidewall of the tire, that is hidden now behind my tire covers. That number is the maximum pressure to which the tire may be inflated, as I understand it.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #20

No there is a difference. The pressure behind AT as often given like this " maxload xxxx lbs AT yyy psi( cold) , is the cokd pressure for wich the max load is calculated for the reference-speed.
Max allowed cold pressure is the max the tiremaker allowes cold measured ( cold is when inside and outside tire, the temp is the same).

In earlyer days for instance, ST tires where allowed 10 psi over AT pressure for 75mh instead of AT pressure wich was for 65mh.

But nowadays the Continental groop gives both on sidewall in Europe, and I wanted to know if they also do that in America.
Other tiremakers dont allow higher then AT anymore, in earlyer days they did allow.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:03 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
No there is a difference. The pressure behind AT as often given like this " maxload xxxx lbs AT yyy psi( cold) , is the cokd pressure for wich the max load is calculated for the reference-speed.
Max allowed cold pressure is the max the tiremaker allowes cold measured ( cold is when inside and outside tire, the temp is the same).

In earlyer days for instance, ST tires where allowed 10 psi over AT pressure for 75mh instead of AT pressure wich was for 65mh.

But nowadays the Continental groop gives both on sidewall in Europe, and I wanted to know if they also do that in America.
Other tiremakers dont allow higher then AT anymore, in earlyer days they did allow.

No, I am even more confused. Some of which is due to the abbreviations, what is "ST", what is "AT". All tire pressure readings, as far as I am aware are done with the tires "cold". Similarity what do you mean by "75mh"? Is this 75 miles per hour(75MPH)?
I am seriously considering going out in the cold rain, removing my covers and having a look, but not tonight.
Maybe steer tire and axle tire? If so I believe that these pressure recommendations are on a decal affixed to the driver's door jamb in the USA. And as I said above, the pressure stamped on the tire itself is the maximum pressure allowed.
Surely, someone on this forum can answer this question.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:17 AM   #22

ST is abreviation for Special Trailer , a tire that gives many blowing tires trouble , because though max speed given of often 140kmu/87m/h , is mostly calculated in maxload for 65mph .
This gives more deflection, so more heatproduction a cicle, but because lesser cicles a second at that lower speed, same heatproduction a second.
Then these tires have higher maxload then LT( lighttruck) tires with same sises and loadrange( ( LRD 65PSI behind AT, E AT 80psi) .

Can write a book about it , but dont look in the rain, when I know it within a month, its OK.
Then you can learn from it all too.

Learned since using mobile phone to write answers, to keep my story' s relatively short, but leave for that reason explanation away. So also reason for writing errors not corrected, askes much of the fine motorics of this 59 years old man.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
The manufacturers recommended tire pressures from the chart are "The minimum required pressure for that weight" Most RV'ers do add a few pounds for safety and to allow for slight loss each time you check pressures.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #24

Here 2 pictures of one Viking tire, also in the Continental- groop.
One with the 65 psi behind the sises also D-load
The other with that maximum inflation pressure of 10 psi higher so 75 psi.

Here a summary of the brands that belong to the Continental-groop, but if you find this double pressure, google the brand, and most likely it is also one of the Continental groop.
1. Continental
2. Semperit
3. Viking
4. Vanco
5. Uniroyal
Mayby not all these brands are sold in America I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170903_161517.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	235266   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170903_161226.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	235267  

Tags