Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2019, 05:43 PM   #1

Tire Pressure Recommendations

Today I did the walk through/delivery inspection on my new 2019 Jayco Melbourne which is on the MB Sprinter chasis. On the placards on the door jamb there were two stickers that recommended 61 psi on all the wheels. Is this what others are running or should the tires be aired up closer to the max psi of 80 psi? Thanks in advance
Idahokent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #2

Run the psi recommended by the placard, as they take into consideration the appropriate weights of the coach. A maximum psi will only result in a rough ride and poor handling characteristics. Long term have the coach weighed when fully loaded, and run what the tire manufacturer recommends per axle based on actual weights.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #3

This one will get all sorts of opinions. Run them softer and you'll get a softer ride. Run them harder and you'll get better fuel economy. Handling, soft or hard, is subjective. I run mine harder because I like better fuel economy and the coach rides fine. You might want to see how the tires look when your slide is deployed, if you have a Murphy bed floor plan and a full wall slide. Stability might be better on harder tires.

2 cents. 😎
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:19 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I weighed mine and, according to the axle weights I got and the tire charts, the correct inflation pressure was 61 psi for the rear, 58 for the front (which is exactly what Winnebago puts on the sticker). I add 5 psi as a safety margin, so I run 66 psi rear and 62 psi front. The extra 5 psi works well if your weight fluctuates a bit - like a full tank of water or an extra person.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:41 AM   #5

Do what the stickers state, fill your water tank, fuel tank, get your new MH setup for camping with all your stuff. Go for a ride, a long ride over various types of roads. If you like the ride, then leave well enough alone. If you think the ride is too harsh, go get it weighed and set the tire pressures according to the tire manufacturer’s chart. Ignore what it says on the tire for PSI. (Unless you load up on rocks)

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #6

Thank you for all the replies. Will get them filled accordingly and also get the coach weighed on the way home when I eventually bring it home in a couple of weeks
Idahokent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:31 AM   #7

Load it up. Take it to these people for corner weights. https://rvsafety.com/
Fill em up and have fun.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:01 AM   #8

The OCCC is a joke on Sprinters. Weigh it with a load. The remove everything you don’t need. I use the Michelin guide. I have a TPMS and Borg valve. The stock rubber are hard to air or check.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:42 AM   #9

Trick is to keep as high possible pressure for the weight on tires, at wich comfort and gripp is still acceptable.

To deterine that pressure, the only right way is to weigh per axle , or better per axle-end ( wheel in case of single load) , as already mentioned .

The advice on sticker of 61 psi ( conversed from 4.2 bar) is what the carmaker meanth for a van to transport articles.
A motorhome is different build, more weight on rear wheels, by the things build in and where you store the stuff.
So most likely weighing proofes that you need higher pressure on rear, mayby even that 80 psi.

I made a spreadsheet to calculate pressure for motorhomes.
In that I ad , if given axleweights , 10% to the weight , before calculating pressure with my determined extra safe formula

This 10% adding is to cover unequall load R/L

If axle-ends weighed, I use part 3 of spreadsheet, where weight of heavyest loaded axle-end is made maximally 95% of weight to calculate the pressure for. This gives some reserve for inacurate reading , pressure loss in time, etc.
The lightest loaded axle-end not lower then 85% of weight to calculate the pressure for, I determined that then comfort and gripp is still acceptable.
That is if you calculate presure for max speed of 99m/h ( is speed for wich LT mostly maximum load is calculated for).

Because you never drive that 99mh , extra reserve in pressure is given,
I can als calculate a save lowest pressure for the tires, if speed and weights are given 101% accurate, wich is never possible, even pressure-measurement is never that accurate.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #10

ONLY way to really know is to get a 4-corner weighing, then consult the tire chart for the particular tire on the rig. For our Prism, FULLY loaded to capacity, we were right at maximum chassis weight of 11,050# (OK - 20# over...) - chart for the Continentals put us at 60psi front axle, 65psi rear.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:52 PM   #11

Shortly after I bought my Navion 24J I weighed it as it was normally loaded, personal gear, full fuel, full propane, at least 1/2 tank water, my wife and I. Since I could find no online tire pressure charts for the Continental tires on the Navion, I emailed Continental with the weight info and received a reply from their technical department.

51 psi front, 55 psi rear. I upped it a bit and usually run 55 front, 59 rear.

Of course it will vary for others based on the model and weight.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:21 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Camper Ken, curious, why did you not use the manufactor's recommended pressures?
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
Camper Ken, curious, why did you not use the manufactor's recommended pressures?
Manufacturer's recommeded pressures and just that, "recommended". Those assume you're running your coach at it's maximum listed weight carrying capacity. That's why I weighed mine and contacted Continental directly to get the actual proper tire pressures for my situation. The recommended pressures would work, but in some cases might cause a harder ride or unnecesary tire wear.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:51 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Camper Kem. I'm sorry, my question was not clear. I was curious as to why you didn't use the tire manufacturer's recommendations after you contacted them with your data.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure