Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #1

Valve stems and tire pressures

Just had the valve stems replaced on my Sprinter 3500. What in the world were Mercedes and Winnebago thinking? You couldn't get a gauge, much less an airhose, to the inner wheel. The kit was relatively inexpensive, as was the install. For less than $200, I can actually check the tire pressure now.

BTW, Winnebago just did a 'recall' that changed the recommended tire pressure on the new Eras.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #2

Winnebago can't mess with the chassis due to the strict upfitters guidance from Mother Benz. It's a surprising issue. But understandable if you consider Mother provides chassis cabs and "vanilla" vans to hundreds of upfitters of hundreds of different applications and has no idea where they go.

Curious... What's the TP change?

'14 View Profile

Also in Kerrville.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #3

TP Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Winnebago can't mess with the chassis due to the strict upfitters guidance from Mother Benz. It's a surprising issue. But understandable if you consider Mother provides chassis cabs and "vanilla" vans to hundreds of upfitters of hundreds of different applications and has no idea where they go.

Curious... What's the TP change?

'14 View Profile

Also in Kerrville.
From 54 front to 61 front. Not sure if it was just the vans or all Sprinter chassis. And it made a surprising difference in the handling, from the limited experience so far.

Also in Kerrville? Small world.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSprinter View Post
From 54 front to 61 front. Not sure if it was just the vans or all Sprinter chassis. And it made a surprising difference in the handling, from the limited experience so far.

Also in Kerrville? Small world.
Neil,

My 3500 chassis and yours is GVWR 11,030#. My placard says 61 F and 61 R(s) for max GVWR. No doubt it will handle better.....

Get your RV loaded for a trip. Full fuel, full water & WH; empty gray and black tanks. Dogs, cats & wife .... To over to the land fill off the Loop and get it weighed. Nothing fancy. Just total weight. I think it cost me a buck and change last time. That way you have an idea about where you are weight wise. I think mine comes in around 10,100 something all up. But I'm a Class C. Yours should be less I think.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #5

After loading and weighing my Navion, I emailed Continental Tires asking for a load/inflation chart for the Vanco Four Season tires. They said they don't have a chart, but asked me to provide weights. (I sent them 4-corner weights). They replied 50 lbs front, 55 lbs rear. I run them at 52 front and 57 rear.

Dropping the pressure down from 61 lbs improved the ride and the handling feel.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm betting the valve stems were set up like normal truck dually stems. They just take a different setup to check and add air to them. Probably a trip to Harbor Freight or a truck stop would have found the correct equipment and not required a change in the stems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I'm betting the valve stems were set up like normal truck dually stems. They just take a different setup to check and add air to them. Probably a trip to Harbor Freight or a truck stop would have found the correct equipment and not required a change in the stems.
Because of the very small access hole(s) on the inner Mercedes steel wheels, even with a dual chuck pressure gauge/inflator, it's very difficult to service the valve stem on the inner tire. I stress "very difficult".

I had dually valves installed on my rear wheels. Not cheap, but a very worthwhile investment.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #8

Smile Valve Stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
Because of the very small access hole(s) on the inner Mercedes steel wheels, even with a dual chuck pressure gauge/inflator, it's very difficult to service the valve stem on the inner tire. I stress "very difficult".

I had dually valves installed on my rear wheels. Not cheap, but a very worthwhile investment.
And actually, it was even a little worse than that. I'm not sure if it is an MB thing or an Winnebago thing (I suspect that latter), but the outside wheel is aluminum and the inside wheel is steel. The location of the inside stem was almost directly behind one of the "spokes" on the outside wheel. You could barely get a dual head chuck in there, and no way could you get a standard fill chuck in there and put the pressure on it to add air. Now the inside wheel has a long, steel stem through one of the outside openings, and the outside wheel has a 90 degree stem pointing out. Much better.

Tags
tire pressure