Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When buying a used Sprinter Class C Motorhome...

I am looking for a used Sprinter class C Motorhome. I like the Winnebago View and Entegra Qwest, although I have narrowed it down to the View.

My question is, with the restrictions that MB puts on their engines to not run with Bio Diesel of a certain type. A statement in a Mercedes-Benz Biodiesel Information publication makes the automaker’s position crystal clear: “Diesel fuels containing a higher percentage of biodiesel, (e.g. B6 to B20) according to ASTM D7467 as well as straight biodiesel (B100/100%) ASTM D6751 may cause severe damage to your engine/fuel system and are not approved.”

How can I check this when buying a used Sprinter class C Motorhome?
pequeajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You can try calling Mercedes customer service after you have a model and vin number picked out. I think the whole mess is associated with the emission control system and their fear of warranty issues and financial liability. I have a 2015 Sprinter van and I was forced into using several tanks of bio 20 while on a trip out west. Don't know that I u sevitbunl
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=604eholston;4988624]You can try calling Mercedes customer service after you have a model and vin number picked out. I think the whole mess is associated with the emission control system and their fear of warranty issues and financial liability. I have a 2015 Sprinter van and I was forced into using several tanks of bio 20 while on a trip out west. Don't know that I would use it on a regular basis, though.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequeajim View Post
I am looking for a used Sprinter class C Motorhome. I like the Winnebago View and Entegra Qwest, although I have narrowed it down to the View.

My question is, with the restrictions that MB puts on their engines to not run with Bio Diesel of a certain type. A statement in a Mercedes-Benz Biodiesel Information publication makes the automaker’s position crystal clear: “Diesel fuels containing a higher percentage of biodiesel, (e.g. B6 to B20) according to ASTM D7467 as well as straight biodiesel (B100/100%) ASTM D6751 may cause severe damage to your engine/fuel system and are not approved.”

Do you mean are there any telltale signs of excessive bio-diesel use?
Is the engine about to fail from bio-diesel damage?
You could take it to an MB Sprinter shop and ask them to evaluate it. Tell them your concern that it may have had many tanks of B6-B20 or more and ask them what they think. Maybe they have a way of verifying bio-diesel use?
I think they're more concerned that you're not emptying the kitchen fryer grease into the fuel tank. Most commercial grade bio diesel is made from soy bean oil. It's not the stuff from the KFC fryers or the chip wagon in the park.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
See this from Mercedes which gives instructions about B20 use.

https://www.thefitrv.com/wp-content/...esel-Final.pdf

I have over 50,000 miles on my 2017 Sprinter Winnebago View. Out west and in the southeast, all you can get is B20. I have burned a ton of B20 in this RV with zero problems. As always, replace your fuel filter at the 20,000 mile maintenance interval when you change your oil (synthetic only).

I have the 24V floorplan as it does not require the slide out to use the beds.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:47 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequeajim View Post

Old, Old information from Mercedes. New instructions are more rational and you can stop worrying.

1. You can use up to B20 (nothing higher is even sold at commercial stations)
2. If you have to use B20 continuously, then restrict idling, check your oil level more frequently, and change your oil at 10,000 miles (not 20,000).

If you can live with that, then happy motoring.

And even better news - the latest generation engines have dropped the B20 restrictions.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:35 PM   #7

I do not run B20 in my 2016 Itasca/Winnebago View and because we do not make long cross country trips, our annual mileage would take over 10 years to reach anywhere near 20,000 miles. So I have the oil and filter changed every two years, regardless of mileage. Some may say it's not necessary but I believe it's good preventative maintenance especially since the motorhome sits for extended periods in the off-season.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #8

My dealer recommended filling up with B20 only enough to get to another gas station that has lower bio-diesel content. How easy that will be I'll find out when I take off this winter.
ParkOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:45 PM   #9

When buying a used Sprinter Class C Motorhome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
OldAnd even better news - the latest generation engines have dropped the B20 restrictions.

But MB still recommends using B5 or less. Here is what my 2019 Sprinter with the V6 diesel says about using B20:

Continuous use of fuels with bio-diesel con‐ tent over 5% (B20 fuels) can lead to fuel filter clogging. Deposits may also form on the fuel injector. This may reduce the engine output. Unburned fuel can get into the oil pan. This causes the engine oil level to rise. This can cause engine mechanical damage.
Observe the following points to avoid damage and reducing the engine output:
# Fill up with fuels with bio-diesel content of 5% (ULSD) or less, whenever possi‐ ble.
# Regularly check your engine oil level if you use B20 fuels on a regular basis.
# Strictly follow the oil change intervals quoted in the instrument cluster and within your Maintenance Booklet.
# Use only engine oils and filters approved for use in your vehicle.
# If you do not plan to drive your vehicle for several weeks, completely fill the fuel tank in advance with ULSD fuel.
Knittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What is ULSD fuel.
pequeajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ultra low sulfur diesel. It is what is required in all diesel on highway vehicles now for several years. Older engines were grandfathered out but they do better with it. The modern substitute is biodiesel of varing percentage, anywhere from 5 to 20 percent or rarely more. Why, I do not understand, it is less efficient, costs more and is dangerous to many Diesel engines. Unfortunately it is all you can get in many places. Which is which is posted on the pump by law. The fuel for farm vehicles and boats is the same stuff but with a red dye, better not get caught with it in your on highway vehicle, it pumps without the highway tax.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
Ultra low sulfur diesel. It is what is required in all diesel on highway vehicles now for several years. Older engines were grandfathered out but they do better with it. The modern substitute is biodiesel of varing percentage, anywhere from 5 to 20 percent or rarely more. Why, I do not understand, it is less efficient, costs more and is dangerous to many Diesel engines. Unfortunately it is all you can get in many places. Which is which is posted on the pump by law. The fuel for farm vehicles and boats is the same stuff but with a red dye, better not get caught with it in your on highway vehicle, it pumps without the highway tax.
ULSD and biodiesel have nothing in common. Sulfur provided some lubricity in older fuel but was replaced with other lubricants in ULSD. The use of bio derived oils in diesel fuel is much like gasoline with 10% ethanol. But biodiesel was not developed to provide better lubrication of diesel fuel but to reduce the use of dino derived petroleum products.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, class c, motorhome