RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #1

Which Sprinter Chassis has the most CCC? (or OCCC)

Im fairly new to the forum. But,Ive been looking at motorhomes for a long time. Ever since the Sprinters came out, I've really liked them. I am now at the point that I will be able to purchase a motor home, within the next year. I still love the Sprinters, but, the CCC (or OCCC) still concerns me.

There are a lot of Sprinters out there now and I havent had the opportunity to keep up with the newer models. Which Sprinters (C's) models have the most CCC/OCCC and of course, the quality to go with it.

Thanks

suz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #2

Sprinters

Hi guys,

Anyone out there have a C Sprinter? What is your CCC/OCCC? Since there is a bit of confusion on CCC/OCCC, could you please let me know what your number does not include. Are they all the same?

I love the Sprinter, but, I think Im just wishing that it will magically come up with better numbers.

Thanks again

Old 06-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #3

I don't have one but I too did a lot of looking. I concluded that they were just not worth the extra $$ and it would take us, given our level of use now, a long time to get an adequate payback form better MPG.

When they first came out (View was first) the CCC was simply horrifying. Only a few hundred pounds. Since there are three of us, when we added 3 bikes we'd have very little capacity for much else.

Since then the GVWR has been improved considerably but it is still hot "great." The other thing I don't care for is the narrow rear track. I was just showing my wife that point the other day when we came up behind a Sprinter MH - the wheels are in a few inches whereas our with our E450 the rear track is much wider. I can't help but think handling and stability is affected by that narrow track (the E350 has a narrower track than the E450).

It is a tough call because I think most of the Sprinter interiors have been done very well with excellent use of space. And the cab is VERY nice - especially when the front window shades are built in.

Don't forget to return here and let us know what you buy.

Don
Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #4

As Steve Jobs would say, oh, there is one more thing. The towing capacity was originally awful and it really limited the toads you could consider. Now the GCWR less the GVWR is 4200 lbs and that widens the range of acceptable toads considerably.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #5

Hi there, actually , after looking around, we are leaning towards a B motorhome, on the 3500 Sprinter chassis or possibly the Chevy. CCC is 2880. It will work really well for hubby and I. Now, we move forward and try and decide which manufacturer...
Old 06-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #6

Don,

The original Sprinter is a european Mercedes van; introduced to the U.S. when Mercedes owned Chrysler, as a replacement for the discontinued Dodge van. The narrow body & track were for european roads. I suspect the dual tire version was created for U.S. manufacturers of class C motorhomes, and the basic CCC was increased for class B usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
... The other thing I don't care for is the narrow rear track. I was just showing my wife that point the other day when we came up behind a Sprinter MH - the wheels are in a few inches whereas our with our E450 the rear track is much wider. I can't help but think handling and stability is affected by that narrow track (the E350 has a narrower track than the E450)....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Don,

The original Sprinter is a european Mercedes van; introduced to the U.S. when Mercedes owned Chrysler, as a replacement for the discontinued Dodge van. The narrow body & track were for european roads. I suspect the dual tire version was created for U.S. manufacturers of class C motorhomes, and the basic CCC was increased for class B usage.
George, I'm WELL aware of its history. In 2005 we took our Journey into Freightliner's Gaffney plant for service. While the work was being done, we and several other owners were given a tour of the chassis assembly operation AND the assembly of the Sprinters. At that time (and perhaps still today) they were built in Germany, actually knocked down and boxed, and then uncrated and reassembled in the US - all to avoid some duty. In Canada, our revenue service quite rightly said "that is not US made" and they get hit with duty when imported into Canada and thus few are sold here because the $10k to $15k extra makes them "just not worth it".

I would not call the Winnie View and its equivalents Class B - although some dealers do. The "highway" cruisers certainly are B's but not the View, Solara etc. When they are built the body behind the cab is cut off completely and what they start with is really no different than an E350 cutaway from Ford.

The poor CCC of the 2005 models was really a bad move. They couldn't carry much and they couldn't tow much. That is not the case now. Also keep in mind that there are thousands of motorhomes using this chassis in Australia and New Zealand as well. We've been over there four times and found they are very popular.

Don
Old 06-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #8

Well, we did find several Sprinters that will work. Roadtrek , Pleasureway and several others now make the Sprinter on the 3500 chassis. CCC is about 2800 +-, That will work. 20-22 mpg, I think can live with. Hubby can also use as a daily driver as he works 10 mins from the house. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by suz15 View Post
Well, we did find several Sprinters that will work. Roadtrek , Pleasureway and several others now make the Sprinter on the 3500 chassis. CCC is about 2800 +-, That will work. 20-22 mpg, I think can live with. Hubby can also use as a daily driver as he works 10 mins from the house. Thanks for your input.
Without the oversized box on the Roadtreks and Pleasureway (Triple E) units the CCC does go up considerably. What you are describing is the type of unit that DW and I' would consider if it was just the two of us but our 38 year old son who has Down Syndrome travels everywhere with us and just loves travelling. The overhead bunk is "his room" on the road and he loves it.

Let us know what type of MPG you do get. From everything I've read the "up to numbers" are somewhat overstated. Even 16 to 18, however, is a darn sight better than the 8 to 9 we get now and the 7.6 we got with our Kodiak Gasser.

One fellow at our park in Florida has a similar unit and I gather they love travelling in it - excellent highway cruiser in their view. They got rid of a larger C when they bought a park model for the winter season.

Don
Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #10

Nice to see that you are concerned about carrying capacity. Just a thought, my coach had a carrying capacity of 4500 lbs as stated on a coach specific label in the cabinet. After weighing the coach with only me in it, I found that the label was off by 800 lbs. so, please weight any coach you are seriously reviewing. I drive them from the dealer to a local truck stop with CAT Scales. It gives me a chance to drive the rig and I feel better. The reason I do this is that my first Coachman Class A was 37 feet long and only had a CCC of about 800 lbs. it sure had a lot of basement storage but all you could put in the storage was air. Best of luck.
Jim
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #11

Jim, front/back and side to side distribution is also important. Our first MH was a 3 year old A gasser. It had very good CCC BUT the problem was that when DW and I got in with about 3/4 tank of fuel and 1/3 tank of water and nothing else and drove on to the scale we got a shock. Weight on front axle was within 100 lbs of GAWR? What to do? What to do?

My engineer son asked me where the water tank was located and how much was in it. I told him right at the back under the bed. He paced out the distance from the rear axle to the front wheels and then to the back. He asked the capacity and I told him and we calculated the added weight of water to fill the tank and what that would take off the front wheels. So, if we filled the fresh water tank we'd be OK at the front and stay within the GVWR. What a PITA though. When I called the manufacturer (Triple E) I was told that all of their calculations where done with a FULL fresh water tank.

So it sure does pay to know where the weight is located. We've seen one owner with a DP take delivery of a unit that was overweight on the front axle with nothing but him up front. On our Kodiak forum we've had one owner with a front left/front right difference of 800 lbs and he found it made proper alignment almost impossible and handling sucked. Dangerous traps can be anywhere.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #12

Don,

I agree.I have weighed my rig with and without full tanks of fuel and/or water. My gray and black tanks are over rear axle and extend the full width of the motor home, so those do not make a difference. I have also relocated heavy and light items in compartments to better balance the load. The rig does drive better when balanced. Thanks for you input.

Jim
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #13

It's all about chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
George, I'm WELL aware of its history. In 2005 we took our Journey into Freightliner's Gaffney plant for service. While the work was being done, we and several other owners were given a tour of the chassis assembly operation AND the assembly of the Sprinters. At that time (and perhaps still today) they were built in Germany, actually knocked down and boxed, and then uncrated and reassembled in the US - all to avoid some duty. In Canada, our revenue service quite rightly said "that is not US made" and they get hit with duty when imported into Canada and thus few are sold here because the $10k to $15k extra makes them "just not worth it".

Don
In the '70s Germany and France decided to tax imported American chickens. In retaliation the US decided to tax dextrin, brandy, potato starch and light trucks. Since then the other taxes have become moot but the light truck tax lingers. It is a 25% tax. To get around it Daimler-Benz partially disassembles cargo vans coming to the US, imports them as parts and then reassembles them. This is also how a lot of grey market cars get into the country.

Interestingly the passenger vans don't need to do this. They are classed like station wagons and can come in whole without the tax. Freightliner used to bring in some vans with cheep seats to get by the tax. They would then shred the seats and sell the vans as cargo haulers. Isn't politics fun?

mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis