Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #1

Winterizing--how to do the tanks?

If we take 2014 Chat.Citation into mountains this winter, how much stuff (antifreeze?) do we put into holding tanks? How low does the temp have to go to be a problem 1. if driving, 2. if stopped for a few hours, 3. overnight. thanks.
eestork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #2

None. Holding tanks should be empty. Any little residual liquids have plenty of room to expand. No one does them. Some people do add antifreeze to the water heater, but if you have drained it, whats the use?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #3

Using the RV at freezing temperatures.

You will need only 3 gallons of RV Antifreeze.
Drain the hot water heater (tank), leave the plug out just don't loose it.
Switch the water heater to bypass.
There should be an intake tube close by put that in a gallon of the RV Antifreeze, open each faucet (Hot and Cold) pump until Antifreeze flows. Don't forget the outside shower. Use bottled water for drinking, wash with wet ones.
That will prevent any frozen lines.

Take a gallon of RV Antifreeze, use it to flush the toilet each time you use it. The tank won't freeze but may be slushy.
Use the RV as you would normally. You will use a lot more Propane to stay warm. I also have a small space heater to help with the heat (only of use while at 30 amps service).

Winter camping or traveling isn't that hard.
Have fun.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #4

The operator's manual for my 2017 View states the following on page 7-15:

"You can winterize the water and plumbing system of your coach using one of the following two methods. 1) Blow out waterlines using compressed air, or 2) Fill waterlines with RV water system antifreeze."

I'm about halfway through the process for option 1.

I've drained the entire coach, reinstalling the drain plug for the water heater as instructed by the manual (to prevent bugs and critters from making a winter home in there).

I'll finish the blow out/winterizing procedure once I get the blow out fitting I've ordered. We'll continue using the RV in the winter months as well.
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
Using the RV at freezing temperatures.

You will need only 3 gallons of RV Antifreeze.
Drain the hot water heater (tank), leave the plug out just don't loose it.
Switch the water heater to bypass.
There should be an intake tube close by put that in a gallon of the RV Antifreeze, open each faucet (Hot and Cold) pump until Antifreeze flows. Don't forget the outside shower. Use bottled water for drinking, wash with wet ones.
That will prevent any frozen lines.

Take a gallon of RV Antifreeze, use it to flush the toilet each time you use it. The tank won't freeze but may be slushy.
Use the RV as you would normally. You will use a lot more Propane to stay warm. I also have a small space heater to help with the heat (only of use while at 30 amps service).

Winter camping or traveling isn't that hard.
Have fun.
I don't see in the manual for my 2015 Navion 24V whether or not to drain the water lines and water tank before winterizing with antifreeze. It does mention draining the hot water heater. Do I drain the lines and fresh water tank before adding antifreeze?
Southern OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #6

Drain all the tanks, don't worry about the water lines, water will be replaced by the RV antifreeze (water tank is not inside the motor home), make sure to open low point drains in the outside shower bay run some of the pink RV antifreeze thru the low point drains & shower hose hot and cold. Don't forget that hose behind the toilet. I leave the RV antifreeze in the lines but you could open all the faucets and let it drain out.

Either way next Spring attach to city water, run water through the system until no foaming is visible at any faucet. Fill the fresh water tank and hot water tank to clear the 12V pump. Run water through the toilet and hot water in the bath sink. Then fill/drain the hot water tank several times. I know we had the bypass on to not fill the hot water tank but it always seems to get some residual in it. Your wife will not be happy taking a shower or filling a pot with even a little antifreeze. Last step buy a gallon of wine run it thru the lines to the sinks takes that last bit of taste out of the lines.

Blowing out the system works but you never completely get all the water out, any water left in the lines will find a low point to settle creating a potential freeze point. Second most compressers also have a small amount of oil in them I never cared for drinking petroleum products.

Sounds like a lot to do but winterizing takes 20 minutes, cleaning out in the spring is no big deal just time.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #7

S. Bradley, thank you so much for going into detail! I'm obviously a rookie at this. Thanks for including dewinterizing. My wife thanks you too�� The gallon of wine is interesting. I plan on doing it.
Southern OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #8

I did miss one step, after clearing the 12V pump use city water to clear the lines to that bath sink.
Don't bother with a good wine it taste alittle funny after running it through the lines. I tasted it, kind of like drinking Ripple when we were kids.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #9

Get cheap vodka, put a couple drops of food coloring in it and then next season just drink it. Makes dewinterizing very entertaining. I know some boat owners that do it. They seem to be having fun.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:44 PM   #10

I was winterized my rv with air through water lines and parked it in carport for the winter. I'm placing dehumidifier (EVA-DRY) on dinette. Anything else I should do? It has been so cold (low 24) since last week?
kohraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:11 AM   #11

Water appears to be frozen

My fifth wheel is a 2016 Forest River that I just bought in October.

The problem is now I am afraid I may have really messed up. The temps are in the teens, last night I failed to leave the water dripping and this morning I have no water. I bought a heater water hose and that is connected.

Also I have been reading about leaving both my gray and black tanks open. Those are open, but I have not added any antifreeze and after reading all the various posts it sounds like I may have created some major problems for myself.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Debi
dsueclimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
At this point, if there is damage, it is done, no help to worry until it thaws...
And the damage probably will not be in the lines, but in the fixed valves and parts attached to the lines...
Turn up the heat, detach the water hose and sewer until it warms up and use your holding tanks.
Use your furnace as electric heat does not warm the basement (unless you put it there too !)
I went to Lowe's and got a couple of 200 W heats and cheap utility light with incandescent bulb (NOT LED! want the heat)
and put them in the basement wet bay and near water filter, etc...

We had a 5'er at a shop over one winter and they SAID they winterized, but didn't :(
shower controls and ice maker line froze and sprayed everywhere when it thawed !

It is what it is, replaced the shower controls and the icemaker line was spliced and on to the next adventure !

good luck !

Tags
tank, winter