RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #1

Wintertime Do's and Don'ts

Just finished winterizing the motorhome. Just wondering what to do about the diesel engine thru the winter. My old gas engine you would run it 30min' every 2 weeks with the AC on high and air up the tires to the max pressure. I know your not supposed to idle MB diesel for long periods. Your not supposed to put any additives in the fuel. What do you seasoned owners do in the winter?

Thanks

tinseast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 03:24 AM   #2

If you can take her out for a run of 20 miles or so then do it. Me? I have mine inside and a trickle charge on the batteries, Tank is full and I did put a diesel conditioner in it. Topped off my DEF. Tires at 80psi and on rubber mats

MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
So many myths, so little time. Fill the fuel tank. You really don't need additives. Your batteries could benefit from a trickle charger or solar charging. You can charge the house batteries and, as long as you have a Tric-L-Charge device, you will charge the coach battery as well. Resist the urge to start the motorhome unless you are prepared to take it on at least an hour drive. It's perfectly fine to let it sit to Spring.

Your tires need no attention. If you are parked on asphalt, get yourself some cheap placemats from the Dollar Store and put them under the tires. Otherwise, they need nothing.

And other than pumping antifreeze through the lines and adding to the sink traps and toilet bowl, you should be ready until spring.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #4

I don't like leaving mine sitting in the same spot for many months so I take it for a ride every 6 weeks to scrape the rust off the brakes. I also run the generator and light off the stove and fridge because after 6 weeks they light right up, but after 6 months they take a while.

Dave
Old 11-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless you can drive the rig for 30 min at highway speeds don't bother starting it. That comes direct from Cummins support.
Cummins now recommends Power Service fuel additives.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Unless you can drive the rig for 30 min at highway speeds don't bother starting it. That comes direct from Cummins support.
Cummins now recommends Power Service fuel additives.
These are Mercedes 3.0L V6 diesels. Cummins suggestions do not apply.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
These are Mercedes 3.0L V6 diesels. Cummins suggestions do not apply.

Dave
Old 05-07-2019, 11:19 PM   #8

Try to run straight #2 (no bio) through for your last tank and then refill with the same. No need to top off DEF, if you do make sure it is not up in the neck because when it freezes it could crack it. Pull the battery disconnect. Several times during the winter I make sure the battery is up and charge if needed. As others said, try not to start it unless you are prepared to drive it.
pfm41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #9

Sprinter Engine batteries

Talking to the service manager of the local MB Sprinter repair shop, he said the following.

1. Winter storage, be sure to disconnect the battery disconnect located under the dash just above the gas pedal.

2. Do not let DEF tank go below 1/2 if you can avoid it. Top off every other fill up.

3. Speaking of DEF, be sure to use 32% or greater urea. He said Peak brand is an example.

Just FYI
dosxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For family reasons we did not go south this last Winter after being gone for ten years previously.

I put her away in October and kept it plugged in all Winter. Started her up a week ago and ran into town to top off the tanks. No problems noted.

We do drain all the water and blow the lines. Anti freeze in the drains and clothes washer.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosxx View Post
Talking to the service manager of the local MB Sprinter repair shop, he said the following.

2. Do not let DEF tank go below 1/2 if you can avoid it. Top off every other fill up.

Just FYI
Don't understand the service manager's comment. We just just completed a 3000 mile trip with probably 10 fuel-ups and used about 2 gallons of DEF. Why would you want to bother with a quart to two of DEF at a time. I didn't add any on our trip and the gauge was above half at the end of the trip.
pfm41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfm41 View Post
Don't understand the service manager's comment. We just just completed a 3000 mile trip with probably 10 fuel-ups and used about 2 gallons of DEF. Why would you want to bother with a quart to two of DEF at a time. I didn't add any on our trip and the gauge was above half at the end of the trip.
Not only that, since there is a shelf life on Def, I've been careful about adding too much at once, since I don't put a lot of miles on mine.

Adding to the post a couple up, I know this comes from Cummins not MB, but the issue will be the same.

Apparently bio diesel is not very stable and is hard on fuel system components. Cummins says any bio burned needs to be within 6 months of manufacture date and cannot sit in the fuel system for more than 3 months or it could damage fuel system components. Hence the reason for the post above saying to ideally run through pure #2 diesel for your last tank full, and then top up with pure #2 (assuming you can find it).

In addition, apparently it's much more susceptible to algae.

The challenge, is that unless you know of places that definitely don't use bio over 5% (below that doesn't need to be declared), you can easily find yourself pulling into a truck stop and it being B20. You sprinter guys have a little easier time opting to simply go on to another location, and/or hitting non truck stop stations, but that's a real challenge for those of us pushing 65' with our toad.

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter