Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #1

2014 Palazzo 36.1 big slide stopped in back

2014 Palazzo 36.1 with the triple track upgrade, low gear high torque slide motors, and upgraded wiring harness.

It's been working fine for the year we have owned it through numerous cross country multi-week trips. Today while doing my monthly fire it up and check everything routine the big slide stopped moving in the back while extending it.

I stopped immediately and tried to retract it. No joy. Front moves, back doesn't.

So now my RV is stuck on my RV pad with the big slide halfway out. I will be calling the local RV shop but without any way of driving it there I'm kind of stuck.

Anyone had this issue and if so is there an easy fix I am missing?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #2

I read that you can unplug the wiring harness from the motors and push the slide in. I believe I read it in one of the manuals that came with he coach. Of course, with a full-wall slide, it will take several people.
vmyoung61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #3

sounds like the rear motor is not working... it can be replaced fairly easily, even by yourself, especially since the slide is already half way out, which is a perfect place to have room to reach and replace the motor.

- remove the outside set screw, under the rubber seal, at the top area of the slide trim
- unplug the wiring harness from the top of the motor, which sits right on top of the inside of the wall, at the top of the interior of the slide
- pull the motor up, and then the bottom of the motor should come out of the column first
- you can try to see if the motor works by plugging the harness back in while the motor is out, and hold the motor while someone pushes the slide switch - the shaft at the bottom of the motor should turn - if not, it's a bad motor(which could also be a wire at the top of the motor circuit board could have broken or come loose, which is a common problem) and has to be replaced.

- a new replacement motor can be had at some camping worlds(they generally keep some in stock in the parts department, not in the retail area, generally $250 or so), or online(Amazon is a good place).
When placing the motor back into the column, two 'pins' that protrude from the bottom of the motor should set into two holes in the column, and the shaft, which has a corresponding 'flat' edge must
also slip into the column properly.

- you can certainly try to push the slide in while the motor is out, though heavier slides like the full wall slides might take a few people - leveling the coach with the slide side higher will also help.

[don't forget the replace the outside set screw - it is not to keep the motor from turning from it's own torque, but to keep the motor from 'riding up' as the motor is turning, keeping the shaft in constant contact in the gear shaft.]

I've replaced several motors myself...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
sounds like the rear motor is not working... it can be replaced fairly easily, even by yourself, especially since the slide is already half way out, which is a perfect place to have room to reach and replace the motor.

- remove the outside set screw, under the rubber seal, at the top area of the slide trim
- unplug the wiring harness from the top of the motor, which sits right on top of the inside of the wall, at the top of the interior of the slide
- pull the motor up, and then the bottom of the motor should come out of the column first
- you can try to see if the motor works by plugging the harness back in while the motor is out, and hold the motor while someone pushes the slide switch - the shaft at the bottom of the motor should turn - if not, it's a bad motor(which could also be a wire at the top of the motor circuit board could have broken or come loose, which is a common problem) and has to be replaced.

- a new replacement motor can be had at some camping worlds(they generally keep some in stock in the parts department, not in the retail area, generally $250 or so), or online(Amazon is a good place).
When placing the motor back into the column, two 'pins' that protrude from the bottom of the motor should set into two holes in the column, and the shaft, which has a corresponding 'flat' edge must
also slip into the column properly.

- you can certainly try to push the slide in while the motor is out, though heavier slides like the full wall slides might take a few people - leveling the coach with the slide side higher will also help.

[don't forget the replace the outside set screw - it is not to keep the motor from turning from it's own torque, but to keep the motor from 'riding up' as the motor is turning, keeping the shaft in constant contact in the gear shaft.]

I've replaced several motors myself...
I appreciate the detailed post, especially from someone who has done this before.

Do you happen to have a part number for the low gear ratio high torque motors?

I will go out tomorrow morning and snap a bunch of photos and then I will probably have more questions for you. The whole measure twice cut once idea.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #5

I would call Thor about this of course, but they outsource their trouble calls on the weekend and the last person I spoke with hadn't even heard of a Palazzo.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #6

I think it's a 500/1 ratio motor, you can get um in two days or less with Prime on Amazon
Old 08-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
I think it's a 500/1 ratio motor, you can get um in two days or less with Prime on Amazon
Yep I found it after I asked. It's Lippert Components part #287298 high torque 500:1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5164.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	172812  
Old 08-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #8

By "outside set screw" do you mean it's on the outside of the RV?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #9

You can read trouble codes and try manual override to get the slide in.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schwintek-In-Wall-Troubleshooting-Guide.pdf (2.59 MB, 44 views)
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_cruisin View Post
By "outside set screw" do you mean it's on the outside of the RV?

yes sir, top of the slide trim, pull back the rubber seal to find it
Old 08-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
slide out problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by myarmar View Post
You can read trouble codes and try manual override to get the slide in.
I had the bedroom slide on my 33.2 go out while down at Sugarloaf KOA this past July. The tech who helped me told me the controller can be reset by depressing the little white button recessed in the controller for about 9 seconds or until the red led stays on continuous. This allowed me to get the slide in. Still waiting for the actual diagnosis to the problem as the 33.2 is still up at General RV awaiting the arrival of other parts for other issues.

Might be worth a try.
billbaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #12

Quote:
yes sir, top of the slide trim, pull back the rubber seal to find it
Is it this one where my thumb is?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right and document this for other owners as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5172.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	173026  
Old 08-15-2017, 08:25 AM   #13

I would think so, but if you remove it and the motor can not be removed, it's the wrong one.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #14

Quote:
I would think so, but if you remove it and the motor can not be removed, it's the wrong one.
Is this a different configuration from yours or are you just having a hard time seeing it in the photo? I would rather not use trial by error, hahaha.

Tags
slide