RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #1

2014 Palazzo - observations after 5000 miles

I just wanted to share some observations and issue that I experienced with our new DP. Our Palazzo had 1100 miles on it from the delivery trip when it was handed to me. Since it showed up a couple of days late, the PDI was rather abbreviated so I ended up doing all of the remediation work myself. Some of the items I saw made me scratch my head, but, in the end were minor such as:
  • The sliding door stops were simply a screw in the bottom of the doors. I removed and replaced with a rubber stopper and screw to address vibration and the overall "clack" when open or closed. I also put a couple of felt pads in the lower door rail so the doors would not move as much while driving and scrape along when open or closed. Additionally, the runner for the doors was not quite parallel to the floor so it would bind when fully opened.
  • The drop down overhead bunk over the front area would sag since the locking pins supplied would fall out during travel. This was simply addressed by loading the assembly slight before driving (lower a bit with pins in). I had the left side go down while I was driving which was a bit disconcerting when it first happened but was easily addressed (lower all the way, reset plane, and then back up).
  • I adjusted most of the cabinet doors so they were square and properly flush.
  • I removed the skylight in the shower to address a bit of sloppy work and cleaned up the install.
  • The vents were full of saw dust when you ran the heater. I think I was vacuuming those for a week and sawdust was still getting everywhere. Easily addressed.
  • Thanks to a very wet and rainy trip from Florida to Minnesota for the maiden voyage, I did find and address leaks with the outside cabinet doors.
  • I fixed a couple of annoying rattles. The front wheel well back panel was not fully mounted (three corners instead of four) so it rattled/banged.
  • The driver seat was not square, but facing a bit left. Easily adjusted.
  • I had to remove and remount one of the MCD shades since it was mounted crooked by the dinette.
  • The front window cover would come out of the frame when deployed. I replace the end caps with longer, solid rubber ones to effectively lengthen the rod.
  • I touched up a bunch of woodwork and redid some trim.
  • I replaced the bathroom faucet with a more usable item.
  • Mounted the bunk TVs parallel - both were crooked.
  • Drilled out an replaced a couple of screws on the rear ladder that the heads had broken off (over torqued).
  • Fixed a loose lighting assembly over the couch.
  • Stapled some non-slip foam liner under the dinette cushions so they would not always slide off when used.
  • Fixed 5 of the screens that would pop off all the time (removed some of the tension springs)
  • Sealed up a couple of the lower storage cabinets with insulating foam.
  • Put a seal on the generator cabinet to reduce wind noise and rattling
  • Cleaned up the wiring on the autostep so it did not hang too low.
  • Straightened the main sink drains so water did not pool.
  • Built a spring based retention for the refrigerator to allow easier access while on the road
  • Nylon tied a number of wiring runs and tubing under the coach to avoid vibration, rattles, etc.
  • Installed felt pads on the slide in the Mega storage so it did not shift and clunk while driving.
So, all minor items that could easily be addressed. As a note, when I was shopping for DPs, I would see that same issues in everything we toured so I did not feel this was a bad reflection on Thor so as a positive as they were all minor. I had to do a similar exercise in my prior Itasca on delivery.

On the good front.
  • Good balance of power and size. Some would report the 5.9 ISB as too little motor, but, on this rig, it offers a good balance of power and mileage.
  • Tracks well, once you get the tire pressures set to your GVW.
  • Slides all worked well
  • Quiet and no drafts with the double pane glass.
  • Very easy to maneuver - much better than the 32 foot E450 chassis we had on the prior motorhome.
  • MPG - much better
Leg 1, Tampa to Minneapolis, mileage was about 11.4 MPG over the 1600 miles. Not bad for windy, rainy conditions.

Leg 2, to the race track and back, towing, it was 10.5 MPG over 280 miles.

Leg 3, to Winconsin Dells and back, about 500 miles, not towing, we hit 11.8 there (doing 70 MPH) and 12.9 back (steady at 65 MPH). So, the extra speed does cost you.
Bottom line, we are really enjoying the new rig and it has lived up to our expectations.

Thanks,

HeavyH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #2

Thanks for the review... I had similar issues. Minor items is a no biggie... I agree on how easy it is to manuever this rig, even backing up into a spot is supriseingly easy.... enjoy!

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #3

Dave,

Good write-up but I would like to make a suggestion...send this to Thor, attention "Mark Stanley, Technical Manager", mstanley@tmcrv.com

Mark attended the Thor Diesel Club rally in Eureka Springs, AR in May and he visited all 32 coaches in attendance to discuss our coaches and gave everyone a business card. He encouraged everyone to email him directly if we had any questions or had any issues with Thor in general that we could not get corrected through their Customer Service.

I would stress the sawdust in the vents, this was a major complaint given to Mark by other Palazzo owners.

In addition to Mark I would place Customer Service on copy; warrantysupport@tmcrv.com

Thanks and Happy RVing!
Jack
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #4

Good idea, I will pursue that.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #5

Very helpful. I am going down to Texas to look at the Palazzo later this month. Still trying to decide between the 33.1 or 33.2. At least I now know what to look for.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Great report.
Thanks
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #7

Glad to share. I know some of the items I identified are nick picks, but, they tend to be things that annoy or give the appearance of the assembler being careless whether that was the case, or not. We love our coach and the recent trips were an affirmation of our choice on the Palazzo. We love the floor plans and balance of features. Definitely offers bang for the buck.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is a sign or sorry management and quality control to have those issues. They manage to ALMOST do the job, and they depend on the dealer to fix the things if someone complains, or hope the owner will fix everything himself. To make a point, I would prepare an invoice for your time at the local shop rates plus materials with a 50% mark and send it to the CEO along with a link to this thread. I would fall over backwards if he even replied.

Ken
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #9

I found similar items in almost every DP I looked at under $300,000 so it seems to be an industry practice to have the dealer patch up hurried work. Kind of like the drywall taper handling the gaps left by the drywall hanger. For me, most of the items I addressed were either assumed to be covered by the dealer detailer (what the dealers get paid to do) and some design oversights/shortcomings.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #10

Here are a few pics of the updates.

The AV system with dual DISH receivers, wireless HDMI and the Bluray along with the HMDI matrix switch.

The refrigerator door spring retainer.

Removed the vents, redid the foil tape and cleaned out the sawdust by running a shopvac hose all the way down each vent.

Balanced the output of the heating vents for uniform airflow.

Rubber stops on the rear sliding doors.

Felt sliders on the metal assembly so the doors do not scrape.

A towel rod in the shower for wet bathing suits or like to drip into the shower.

Removed the bunk doors and put in some privacy curtains - better for when the rig is travelling (kids).

Replaced the bathroom sink faucet so it was more usable since the as built faucet was too low and short.

Replaced the mount in the hallway with a permanent, locking bracket that was designed for RVs. Using the included assembly, the TV would drop down when going over bumps.

Stapled down some non-slip foam used for drawers on the dinette seats so the cushions would not slip when used. Stole this idea from Itasca.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyH2O View Post
I found similar items in almost every DP I looked at under $300,000 so it seems to be an industry practice to have the dealer patch up hurried work. Kind of like the drywall taper handling the gaps left by the drywall hanger. For me, most of the items I addressed were either assumed to be covered by the dealer detailer (what the dealers get paid to do) and some design oversights/shortcomings.
That was my opinion also. We didn't pay $500,000 and I never expected that quality. As to the sawdust I has an AC company use their furnace duct cleaning Vac truck on the heat runs. It sucked ever piece of sawdust & even a 3" plug they had drilled out and left in there.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #12

Wow, great mods! I really like the towel rod and non slip foam idea... Im stealing these!

What material did you use to balance the out for the bathroom vent... I know the bathroom is the warmest of all the rooms when the furnace is on. Limiting the output is a great idea.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
Wow, great mods! I really like the towel rod and non slip foam idea... Im stealing these!

What material did you use to balance the out for the bathroom vent... I know the bathroom is the warmest of all the rooms when the furnace is on. Limiting the output is a great idea.
It used furnace metal tape. To balance, I taped a paper on one edge over each vent then modified the amount of air flowing on each vent until they were the same.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
HeavyH20 -
The Cummins 300HP is the ISB 6.7