Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #1

2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2

We are currently looking at the 2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2. We want to down size from our 2005 40' Alfa See Ya. But want to stay in the DP. We haul a car carrier with one of our classic cars mostly to car shows. Having never had any problems to speak of in our Alfa (bought it new) I have read some concerning reports on the new smaller DP coaches. I've read and done lots of research and for the money we like the 33.2. My issues are this - Has Thor fixed the slide problems, the air bag leak, and the GC? I understand they are very easy to work with and most of the complaints are of the dealer nature. However if we're going to spend that much I want to know Thor has taking care of the 2013 model problems. Any info would be most helpful. If you have one already we would like to know how you like it.

bbandpb
05 Alfa See Ya
bbandpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #2

We own a 2013 Palazzo 33.1

We purchased our Palazzo June 2012 and we currently have 6000 miles and we love it. We have not had the slide problem mentioned by some and we have only had minor issues with loose screws, etc. but we had the same problem with our last RV. We are scheduled for a warranty visit next month @ Thor to fix a windshield seal and the large slide topper needs adjusting ( collects water). The service department told me that while I am there they would give it a once over before the warranty expires the end of June.

There is a few threads in the Thor section that has a lot of owner input therefore I suggest that you pay this section a visit for a good read.

FYI: I only tow a Honda CRV on a dolly but I do not know it is back there and I average 11 mph.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have been fortunate that I have not had significant problems with my 33.1 but unfortunate that I have not been able touse it as much as I would like with less than 5K miles on it.
Have not heard about air bag problems.
What is a GC problem?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #4

2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2

Thanks you guys! Any info at this point is most helpful. GC should have been QC = quality control. There are several mention of kinked air hoses in the rear of the coach. So when you go to reinflate the air ride it won't i.e. you can't move. Most have figured out how to correct it without having it done by a tech. Never the less Thor should address it. How do your coaches handle going up mountains we would like to do the Grand Canyon at some point?

bbandpb
05 Alfa See Ya
40'
haul a car carrier w/a classic car
61 Starliner or 63 Galaxie XL or
55 Crown Vick
also 4 wheels down Jeep
Old 04-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbandpb View Post
Thanks you guys! Any info at this point is most helpful. GC should have been QC = quality control. There are several mention of kinked air hoses in the rear of the coach. So when you go to reinflate the air ride it won't i.e. you can't move. Most have figured out how to correct it without having it done by a tech. Never the less Thor should address it. How do your coaches handle going up mountains we would like to do the Grand Canyon at some point?

bbandpb
05 Alfa See Ya
40'
55 Crown Vick
also 4 wheels down Jeep
The only hills I have encountered are those on the east coast from southwest Ohio south to Florida but the hills that I did go up/down it handled just fine. The exhaust break does a good job holding the speed going down hill.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #6

Quote:
We are currently looking at the 2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2. We want to down size from our 2005 40' Alfa See Ya. But want to stay in the DP. We haul a car carrier with one of our classic cars mostly to car shows. Having never had any problems to speak of in our Alfa (bought it new) I have read some concerning reports on the new smaller DP coaches. I've read and done lots of research and for the money we like the 33.2. My issues are this - Has Thor fixed the slide problems, the air bag leak, and the GC? I understand they are very easy to work with and most of the complaints are of the dealer nature. However if we're going to spend that much I want to know Thor has taking care of the 2013 model problems. Any info would be most helpful. If you have one already we would like to know how you like it.

bbandpb
05 Alfa See Ya
Ok I have the 2013. 33.2- I got mine in October. I believe the QC could be better but don't know that all manufacturing company's are probably alike. I did not buy a half million dollar coach so I don't expect that kind of quality. Now I did have an issue with the large slide. Spent two days at Thor factory & they treated me like royalty and fixed the slide. Something about cutting out a slot bigger. Didn't really understand but for sure it works now. So to sum it up you can read my previous post to see in detail how they fixed it and treated me. I have 12,000 miles on mine. Hills have not been any problem. We have traveled out West with it and went thru Flagstaff. Didn't go up to the canyon on this trip but saw plenty of hill while out West. I tow a small car. It is our third class A RV and we are 100 % satisfied with it. Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Haven't seen anything anywhere about kinked air hoses or problems with air bag inflation.

A key to satisfaction is a thorough PDI before signing anything. Mine was almost two days and found a few things, one serious. it was also a major education as I had no motor home experience and there are a lot of systems. I also intend on going to Camp Freightliner when possible.

Also important is expectation. I did not pay $1M so did not expect a Newell. So far I Am satisfied with the value/cost ratio.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #8

test drove the 33.2 Palazzo

You guys have been such great help. We test drove the 2014 Palazzo 33.2 yesterday. We loved the power and the maneuverability. But was not happy with the how it drove. Its seems to be darty (for lack of a better word) almost like it was out of tow. It wasn't rolly per say. Felt like you had to keep correcting the stirring. Seemed to handle the big trucks coming up along side of it and passed them very easily. Any one have the same thing? Should we test drive another one? The bad thing was the salesman said they wouldn't send it to freightliner to have it check till they "sold" it. Makes me wonder!

bbandpb
05 Alfa See Ya
40'
55 Crown Vick
also 4 wheels down Jeep
Old 05-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #9

Quote:
You guys have been such great help. We test drove the 2014 Palazzo 33.2 yesterday. We loved the power and the maneuverability. But was not happy with the how it drove. Its seems to be darty (for lack of a better word) almost like it was out of tow. It wasn't rolly per say. Felt like you had to keep correcting the stirring. Seemed to handle the big trucks coming up along side of it and passed them very easily. Any one have the same thing? Should we test drive another one? The bad thing was the salesman said they wouldn't send it to freightliner to have it check till they "sold" it. Makes me wonder!

bbandpb
05 Alfa See Ya
40'
55 Crown Vick
also 4 wheels down Jeep
When I first took delivery I had the same problem, it appeared to wonder and I continually had to make steering corrections.

Now after saying this I discovered that Freightliner delivers all of it chassis with max inflation in the tires (120 psi) because they do not know how the coach manufacturer will build the coach and how the weight is distributed. In addition, you must get it aligned and weighted (adjust tire pressure accordingly) after the coach is install on the chassis and it is loaded with your normal travel items, water, propane, full bag of fuel, golf clubs, etc.

I feel that once you adjust the tire pressure and check the alignment (my toe in/out needed adjustment) you will see an improvement.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
We had the same wondering issue until our first service. Had alignment/toe checked and adjusted. Weighted and correct tire pressure.
Drives great now.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just loaded, weighed, and adjusted air pressure according the to book, It handles great. Much better than the 2013 Coachmen Encounter (gas) we had.
BTW - using the air chuck on the firewall by the Gen only produced 110 psi, we needed to get to 120 on the steer axle, so we had to use the garage compressor to get the higher PSI. I doubt there is a way to adjust the firewall bib PSI.
js43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by js43 View Post
We just loaded, weighed, and adjusted air pressure according the to book, It handles great. Much better than the 2013 Coachmen Encounter (gas) we had.
BTW - using the air chuck on the firewall by the Gen only produced 110 psi, we needed to get to 120 on the steer axle, so we had to use the garage compressor to get the higher PSI. I doubt there is a way to adjust the firewall bib PSI.
Set the high idle and you can get the 120 psi needed. I do have a question about putting max air in your steer axle...most Palazzo owners report somewhere between 90 and 110 based on their weight. I run 100 psi in mine but I am not anywhere near max gross on that axle...just asking?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post

Set the high idle and you can get the 120 psi needed. I do have a question about putting max air in your steer axle...most Palazzo owners report somewhere between 90 and 110 based on their weight. I run 100 psi in mine but I am not anywhere near max gross on that axle...just asking?
You've got me rethinking the weigh in. I'm going back to the gravel yard to have them weigh it again.
js43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by js43 View Post

You've got me rethinking the weigh in. I'm going back to the gravel yard to have them weigh it again.
Remember to divide properly with 4 wheels in rear. Seems like it would be hard to load up the Palazzo to max weight.

Tags
thor