Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #1

2014 THOR Palazzo 36.1 Coolant

What coolant should I use to top off the coolant in the surge tank in my 2014 Palazzo 36.1.The factory filled coolant is pink in color. Do I need to add coolant with SCAs and if so, what SCA test kit is recommended?

Is Shell – HD/N Antifreeze Coolant the correct one?
Starsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #2

Peak Fleet Charge SCA charged 50/50 pre-diluted. It will have the pink cap on it. Also, make sure you don't have any coolant leaks. Mine leaked at the EGR cooler. This took a trip to cummns where they replaced the banjo washers and o-rings on the coolant fitting.
paid-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #3

Where can you purchase the Fleet Charge 50/50?
Old 05-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebs View Post
Where can you purchase the Fleet Charge 50/50?

Peak Fleet Charge SCA Precharged Coolant/Antifreeze (1 Gallon) FCA0B3: Advance Auto Parts
paid-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #5

Thanks, I picked one gallon of Peak Fleet Charge from NAPA store at a town in West Yellowstone. They charged me $7.99. I got an SCA test strip too. So I will test for Nitrate and Molybdenate soon.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:13 PM   #6

SCA Tests On my 2014 Thor Palazzo 36.1

I'm Not Sure what coolant is in my Thor Palazzo 36.1 2014. Freightliner told me DTNA Spec. 48-25960-050 Approved supplier of Shell – HD/N Antifreeze Coolant which makes me think it should test positive for Molybdate.

I just Tested for Molybdate and Nitrite with the Fleetguard 3 way test strip.
First I checked the dates on the test strips and they were not expired. I got pretty much same results:
1.Taking the samples from the pedcock (Pink Color).
2. Sample I had taken a year back from the surge tank (pink color).
3. Brand new sample from the Peak fleet charge container (purple cap/ fluid color).

I am seeing almost no Molybdate. I think any discoloration on the molybdate pad on the strip is a run-off from the Nitrite pad. I think My Nitrite levels are either 2.4 or 1.6. I'm leaning more on 2.4. I have uploaded the pictures of the test runs.

The question is: If I have an OAT coolant in the system, what would the 3 way test strip show?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Three_year_old_coolant_from radiator2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	134786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Three_year_old_Coolant_From_Radiator1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	134787  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brand_New_Peak_Fleet_Charge.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	134788  
Old 08-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #7

Palazzo coolant

Hi All,
Per my conversation with Freightliner, 2014 Palazzos use the Fleet Charge SCA and not a OAT coolant. This is 5 year coolant and I add a pint of SCA every year or so. I had the coolant tested at Gaffney and it is ok. I agree the coolant test strips are difficult to read. You can buy Fleet Charge SCA as 50/50 or as a concentrate. You could contact Freightliner for a list of approved coolants. Fleet Charge SCA is just one brand that is approved.
It is important to maintain SCA levels in diesels to prevent erosion and cavitation of piston sleeves. It is also important not to overdose it with SCA additives. Fleetguard SCA is available in pints and there is a chart that shows how much the SCA level increases based on coolant capacity.
Happy Motoring
RVL14all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie2014 View Post
Hi All,
Per my conversation with Freightliner, 2014 Palazzos use the Fleet Charge SCA and not a OAT coolant. This is 5 year coolant and I add a pint of SCA every year or so. I had the coolant tested at Gaffney and it is ok. I agree the coolant test strips are difficult to read. You can buy Fleet Charge SCA as 50/50 or as a concentrate. You could contact Freightliner for a list of approved coolants. Fleet Charge SCA is just one brand that is approved.
It is important to maintain SCA levels in diesels to prevent erosion and cavitation of piston sleeves. It is also important not to overdose it with SCA additives. Fleetguard SCA is available in pints and there is a chart that shows how much the SCA level increases based on coolant capacity.
Happy Motoring
Hi

I used the Peak Fleet Charge SCA 50/50. Drove it 3000 miles so far seems okay. I did not add the SCA additives since I think the Nitrate levels are okay.

Tags
thor