Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:44 AM   #1

2014 Thor Palazzo wandering

New to us 36.1 2014 Palazzo, seems to wander, maybe operator error, but wondering what changes others have made? Centering attachments, shocks, alignment, etc. Need recommendations for good chassis shop in Farmington Hills, Michigan area. Also body shop to repair some fiberglass.
mlacute1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #2

Don't know how experienced a driver you are with a big rig. there are a lot of ways you can throw money at it, and they probably improve things some. I say probably because we have never done any of the add ons. One suggestion I would make is try looking a little farther ahead down the road when you drive. You'd be surprised how much it can smooth out your travel path.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #3

what do you mean by 'wandering'?

are you meaning 'pulling right' or 'pulling left'?

what does the steering wheel 'do' while on flat level driving?

I highly doubt you 'need' to do anything to your coach, other than check the psi of your tires. They can many times be too high, or different left to right, causing a 'pull' or 'wandering' mostly in one direction.
At our first stop in Gaffney SC at the Freightliner Custom Chassis shop back in late 2015, I mentioned this 11oclock steering wheel 'pull' of the coach to my tech. When they returned the coach after an initial oil and gen service, he said that they simply switched the two front steer tires. It rode so much smoother and with no 'pull' from then on.
Also, after weighing the coach in Arizona, I found that my tires were over inflated. While they are 120psi tires, that doesn't mean to run them at that level. When you weigh your coach, and know the front and rear axle weights, you can refer to the Goodyear or tire manufacturer's brochure/website to determine your correct 'run psi' for each axle. Mine was about 90 on the fronts, 85 on the rears. Also a much smoother ride.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I'll second MisterT...best thing is to get a "four corner" weight to see how the loading is distributed and to determine the correct tire pressure. Adjusting the tire pressure did wonders for the way mine drives.

If at all possible, Freightliner Service in Gaffney, SC is the place for chassis service. It is an OASIS service center that has parking and electric hookups. The Freightliner Custom Chassis factory is in Gaffney and you can take a tour of the facility while there. I have my yearly chassis maintenance performed there.
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #5

Consider a alignment check, could be way off?
Old 03-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #6

First bought our palazzo, it pulled right big time, turned out ride height was off and tires way over inflated....
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #7

Proper tire pressure will help, especially if you are at the 120 psi that comes from Freightliner. You will find front tires for the Palazzo will probably end up at 90-95 once the 4 corner weights are done.

I also have installed the Safe-T-Plus which is basically a large shock absorber that brings the wheels back to center. It is designed to keep the coach centered in case of a blowout, but it also helps with wind and the effects of tractor trailers passing. My driving went from constant correction to one handed driving. Much more pleasant.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #8

I concur on the Safe T Plus. Not a cure all and doesn't alter the laws of physics, but it makes one handed driving much easier (like when reaching down for that bottle of water) and it helps in the wind.
Nxeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxeil View Post
I concur on the Safe T Plus. Not a cure all and doesn't alter the laws of physics, but it makes one handed driving much easier (like when reaching down for that bottle of water) and it helps in the wind.
Who did you guys have the Safe T Plus installed by? I'm finding it difficult to find RV dealers that I trust.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #10

I called a couple of local rv places. One, a small chain, when asked if they had installed many of the Safe-T-Plus admitted they had not. The other, a mom and pop operation noted a long history of doing so. I suspect you can also get a list of certified dealers from Safe-T-Plus. You could also go there, I think in Atlanta, to have the company install.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
I called a couple of local rv places. One, a small chain, when asked if they had installed many of the Safe-T-Plus admitted they had not. The other, a mom and pop operation noted a long history of doing so. I suspect you can also get a list of certified dealers from Safe-T-Plus. You could also go there, I think in Atlanta, to have the company install.
Thanks BoDu. I'll contact the company. :-)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #12

I used Chico Truck and RV in Chico, CA. Its a good shop.
Nxeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #13

Just had a Safe-T-Plus added to our coach at the Perry, GA, rally. WOW! What a difference! I highly recommend it.
vmyoung61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmyoung61 View Post
Just had a Safe-T-Plus added to our coach at the Perry, GA, rally. WOW! What a difference! I highly recommend it.
I have been looking in to this, I may tackle it my self but ball park was is the cost installed ? Looking at the videos I can see how it could help !!!!
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor