RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:13 PM   #1

2015 Palazzo overheating issue

I have a 2015 Palazzo 36.1 and love it last year we purchased a 22 foot trailer to tow our car I have noticed a couple of times that it has over heated. It seems to happen if I and up around 70 and climbing a hill and push it . I am under the weight for the tow limit by 3000 lbs. I have take to watching the heat gauge and taking it easy on the hills. I'm wondering if the engine may be starved for air because of the trailer, and if so does anyone have any solutions. I have thought about adding a switch on the dash so I can manually control the auxillary fan.

Mlynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Drop down a gear to keep your engine rpm up.

Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #3

It is good that you are watching the temperature gauge, but have you had any temperature warnings on the LBCU? In my opinion, 70 is too fast to be driving any Palazzo, but to each his own. Do not add a switch that you control. The engine and fan are computer controlled and you could intervene incorrectly.

I had an issue several years ago with the temperature warning and the engine shutting down because of it. I was not doing anything unusual and there appeared to be just a momentary fault that did clear before I was able to pull the coach off the freeway. The engine then resumed as normal and the temperature also went to the normal range. When I returned home I took the coach to Freightliner in Gaffney SC and they diagnosed that as a temporary fault. They added what Miss Pat described to me as a temperature minder. I have not had another occurrance.

I suggest you call the Freightliner help line and describe the problem you are having. They have very knowledgeable techs on the line and should be able to help you.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlynds View Post
I have a 2015 Palazzo 36.1 and love it last year we purchased a 22 foot trailer to tow our car I have noticed a couple of times that it has over heated. It seems to happen if I and up around 70 and climbing a hill and push it . I am under the weight for the tow limit by 3000 lbs.
You did not say what kind of car you are towing and how much the car and trailer weigh. So when you say you are under the weight for the tow limit by 3000 pounds are you talking about the hitch rating, or have you actually calculated available weight from the CVWR and subtracted the loaded weight of your 36.1?
Old 10-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
Drop down a gear to keep your engine rpm up.
Thank you for the reply and doing this seems to have corrected the issue.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
It is good that you are watching the temperature gauge, but have you had any temperature warnings on the LBCU? In my opinion, 70 is too fast to be driving any Palazzo, but to each his own. Do not add a switch that you control. The engine and fan are computer controlled and you could intervene incorrectly.

I had an issue several years ago with the temperature warning and the engine shutting down because of it. I was not doing anything unusual and there appeared to be just a momentary fault that did clear before I was able to pull the coach off the freeway. The engine then resumed as normal and the temperature also went to the normal range. When I returned home I took the coach to Freightliner in Gaffney SC and they diagnosed that as a temporary fault. They added what Miss Pat described to me as a temperature minder. I have not had another occurrance.

I suggest you call the Freightliner help line and describe the problem you are having. They have very knowledgeable techs on the line and should be able to help you.
Thank you very much for the info
Old 10-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by appsol View Post
You did not say what kind of car you are towing and how much the car and trailer weigh. So when you say you are under the weight for the tow limit by 3000 pounds are you talking about the hitch rating, or have you actually calculated available weight from the CVWR and subtracted the loaded weight of your 36.1?
the vehicle is a 2017 Mercedes c300 it weighs 3600lbs the trailer weighs 3200 lbs. I am basing it on the tow rating which is 10,000 lbs. Thanks for the reply
Old 10-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #8

Make sure your radiator fan is working. It has electromagnetic clutch, and when engaged it is loud. If you pay attention, you would hear it. In my 2015 33.2 it engages at about 212F, and disengages at 190F. Temperature comes down in a minute or so, it almost never comes on on a flat road, but only during up-hill driving.
Mike
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
probably also time to replace coolant and upgrade to an extended life coolant. In a 2015 I would at least test the coolant if it is original.
wstrace3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #10

Just because the hitch is rated for 10KP doesn't mean the RV has remaining capacity to tow that much. "Single number specifications" do not tell the entire story.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Just because the hitch is rated for 10KP doesn't mean the RV has remaining capacity to tow that much. "Single number specifications" do not tell the entire story.
No they don't but salespeople love those kinds of easy numbers! I believe a bit of basic math will show that no Palazzo has 10,000 pounds of towing capacity left when loaded for normal use.

My 2014 33.2 has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,000 and a Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of 30,000 pounds.

Loaded with passengers, dogs, everything we travel with and a full tank of fuel and water it weighs 25,550... right at the GVWR. I tow a Jeep that weighs 4200 pounds so I'm under the GCWR but on long 6 percent grades I climb with the semi's not the sports cars.

But in five years and about 45,000 miles as full-timers the actual hours spent on those slow climbs (mostly in the west where we have real mountains not those bumps in other parts of the country) is an insigificant part of the total travel time. Enjoy the view!
Old 11-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #12

Hi, Could you please help me understand where you are finding the GCWR of 30,000? I have a 2015 33.3 and I am going to pull a Ford F-150. I pulled a Chrysler T&C with a Kar Kaddy 3500 miles from Michigan to Yellowstone with no issues and the curb weight of the F-150 (4,946lbs) is virtually the same as the curb weight of the van and dolly (5,027).

I just want your source, so I can see it myself. I didn't really think about it with the van but the truck is making me want to know the limits and compare it to my circumstance.

thanks,

mgw44
mgw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgw44 View Post
Hi, Could you please help me understand where you are finding the GCWR of 30,000? I have a 2015 33.3 and I am going to pull a Ford F-150. I pulled a Chrysler T&C with a Kar Kaddy 3500 miles from Michigan to Yellowstone with no issues and the curb weight of the F-150 (4,946lbs) is virtually the same as the curb weight of the van and dolly (5,027).

I just want your source, so I can see it myself. I didn't really think about it with the van but the truck is making me want to know the limits and compare it to my circumstance.

thanks,

mgw44
You should have a sticker on your coach. Mine is by the drivers side wall by the drivers seat, just behind. There is also a sticker on my entry door that shows the CCC.
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgw44 View Post

thanks,

mgw44
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/palazzo/specs/

Those are the 2020 specs but the basic chassis, engine and transmission specs are no different than your 2015 or my 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thor.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	267633  

Tags
heat, heating, overheating