RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 14
2015 Palazzo overheating issue

I have a 2015 Palazzo 36.1 and love it last year we purchased a 22 foot trailer to tow our car I have noticed a couple of times that it has over heated. It seems to happen if I and up around 70 and climbing a hill and push it . I am under the weight for the tow limit by 3000 lbs. I have take to watching the heat gauge and taking it easy on the hills. I'm wondering if the engine may be starved for air because of the trailer, and if so does anyone have any solutions. I have thought about adding a switch on the dash so I can manually control the auxillary fan.
__________________

Mlynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Berlin Kid's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 571
Drop down a gear to keep your engine rpm up.
__________________

__________________
Jim & Sandy, Columbus, OH
2018 Thor Aria 3601
FMCA-F434648, TDC, FCOC
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
BoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Clover, SC
Posts: 231
It is good that you are watching the temperature gauge, but have you had any temperature warnings on the LBCU? In my opinion, 70 is too fast to be driving any Palazzo, but to each his own. Do not add a switch that you control. The engine and fan are computer controlled and you could intervene incorrectly.

I had an issue several years ago with the temperature warning and the engine shutting down because of it. I was not doing anything unusual and there appeared to be just a momentary fault that did clear before I was able to pull the coach off the freeway. The engine then resumed as normal and the temperature also went to the normal range. When I returned home I took the coach to Freightliner in Gaffney SC and they diagnosed that as a temporary fault. They added what Miss Pat described to me as a temperature minder. I have not had another occurrance.

I suggest you call the Freightliner help line and describe the problem you are having. They have very knowledgeable techs on the line and should be able to help you.
__________________
Bob & Rita
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2010 Chevy Colorado toad
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
appsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlynds View Post
I have a 2015 Palazzo 36.1 and love it last year we purchased a 22 foot trailer to tow our car I have noticed a couple of times that it has over heated. It seems to happen if I and up around 70 and climbing a hill and push it . I am under the weight for the tow limit by 3000 lbs.
You did not say what kind of car you are towing and how much the car and trailer weigh. So when you say you are under the weight for the tow limit by 3000 pounds are you talking about the hitch rating, or have you actually calculated available weight from the CVWR and subtracted the loaded weight of your 36.1?
__________________
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2013 Jeep Wrangler
appsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
Drop down a gear to keep your engine rpm up.
Thank you for the reply and doing this seems to have corrected the issue.
Mlynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
It is good that you are watching the temperature gauge, but have you had any temperature warnings on the LBCU? In my opinion, 70 is too fast to be driving any Palazzo, but to each his own. Do not add a switch that you control. The engine and fan are computer controlled and you could intervene incorrectly.

I had an issue several years ago with the temperature warning and the engine shutting down because of it. I was not doing anything unusual and there appeared to be just a momentary fault that did clear before I was able to pull the coach off the freeway. The engine then resumed as normal and the temperature also went to the normal range. When I returned home I took the coach to Freightliner in Gaffney SC and they diagnosed that as a temporary fault. They added what Miss Pat described to me as a temperature minder. I have not had another occurrance.

I suggest you call the Freightliner help line and describe the problem you are having. They have very knowledgeable techs on the line and should be able to help you.
Thank you very much for the info
Mlynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsol View Post
You did not say what kind of car you are towing and how much the car and trailer weigh. So when you say you are under the weight for the tow limit by 3000 pounds are you talking about the hitch rating, or have you actually calculated available weight from the CVWR and subtracted the loaded weight of your 36.1?
the vehicle is a 2017 Mercedes c300 it weighs 3600lbs the trailer weighs 3200 lbs. I am basing it on the tow rating which is 10,000 lbs. Thanks for the reply
Mlynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 303
Make sure your radiator fan is working. It has electromagnetic clutch, and when engaged it is loud. If you pay attention, you would hear it. In my 2015 33.2 it engages at about 212F, and disengages at 190F. Temperature comes down in a minute or so, it almost never comes on on a flat road, but only during up-hill driving.
Mike
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
wstrace3's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Youngsville, LA
Posts: 554
probably also time to replace coolant and upgrade to an extended life coolant. In a 2015 I would at least test the coolant if it is original.
__________________
Billy and Danielle
2013 Thor Palazzo 33.3
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
wstrace3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,534
Just because the hitch is rated for 10KP doesn't mean the RV has remaining capacity to tow that much. "Single number specifications" do not tell the entire story.
__________________
2005 Four Winds Majestic 23A
To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world. - Dr Suess
Solo_RV_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
appsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Just because the hitch is rated for 10KP doesn't mean the RV has remaining capacity to tow that much. "Single number specifications" do not tell the entire story.
No they don't but salespeople love those kinds of easy numbers! I believe a bit of basic math will show that no Palazzo has 10,000 pounds of towing capacity left when loaded for normal use.

My 2014 33.2 has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,000 and a Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of 30,000 pounds.

Loaded with passengers, dogs, everything we travel with and a full tank of fuel and water it weighs 25,550... right at the GVWR. I tow a Jeep that weighs 4200 pounds so I'm under the GCWR but on long 6 percent grades I climb with the semi's not the sports cars.

But in five years and about 45,000 miles as full-timers the actual hours spent on those slow climbs (mostly in the west where we have real mountains not those bumps in other parts of the country) is an insigificant part of the total travel time. Enjoy the view!
__________________
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2013 Jeep Wrangler
appsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #12
Member
 
mgw44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Plainwell, MI
Posts: 71
Hi, Could you please help me understand where you are finding the GCWR of 30,000? I have a 2015 33.3 and I am going to pull a Ford F-150. I pulled a Chrysler T&C with a Kar Kaddy 3500 miles from Michigan to Yellowstone with no issues and the curb weight of the F-150 (4,946lbs) is virtually the same as the curb weight of the van and dolly (5,027).

I just want your source, so I can see it myself. I didn't really think about it with the van but the truck is making me want to know the limits and compare it to my circumstance.

thanks,

mgw44
mgw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
iluvuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UT
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgw44 View Post
Hi, Could you please help me understand where you are finding the GCWR of 30,000? I have a 2015 33.3 and I am going to pull a Ford F-150. I pulled a Chrysler T&C with a Kar Kaddy 3500 miles from Michigan to Yellowstone with no issues and the curb weight of the F-150 (4,946lbs) is virtually the same as the curb weight of the van and dolly (5,027).

I just want your source, so I can see it myself. I didn't really think about it with the van but the truck is making me want to know the limits and compare it to my circumstance.

thanks,

mgw44
You should have a sticker on your coach. Mine is by the drivers side wall by the drivers seat, just behind. There is also a sticker on my entry door that shows the CCC.
__________________
Ed
2018 Palazzo 33.3
300W solar, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
appsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgw44 View Post
Hi, Could you please help me understand where you are finding the GCWR of 30,000? I have a 2015 33.3 and I am going to pull a Ford F-150. I pulled a Chrysler T&C with a Kar Kaddy 3500 miles from Michigan to Yellowstone with no issues and the curb weight of the F-150 (4,946lbs) is virtually the same as the curb weight of the van and dolly (5,027).

I just want your source, so I can see it myself. I didn't really think about it with the van but the truck is making me want to know the limits and compare it to my circumstance.

thanks,

mgw44
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/palazzo/specs/

Those are the 2020 specs but the basic chassis, engine and transmission specs are no different than your 2015 or my 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thor.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	267633  
__________________

__________________
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2013 Jeep Wrangler
appsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heat, heating, overheating



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Palazzo :: 2015 Thor Palazzo tucson.don iRV2 Owners Registry 0 05-20-2018 12:20 AM
Good Palazzo's VS Bad Palazzo's Palazzoblues Palazzo Motorhomes 11 01-16-2014 05:25 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×