Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #1

A better idea for securing fridge doors?

I really don't care for the refrigerator twist knob that come on the residential fridge. Seems really annoying and kind of tedious. I recently saw a fleetwood excursion with *this* style twist knob that is similar to a butterfly valve. Anybody come up with a better solution for our fridge design?
Millennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

I like the long bungee cord that I use. I hook it at the top and bottom. No mods necessary.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennial View Post
I really don't care for the refrigerator twist knob that come on the residential fridge. Seems really annoying and kind of tedious. I recently saw a fleetwood excursion with *this* style twist knob that is similar to a butterfly valve. Anybody come up with a better solution for our fridge design?
I have ordered a "3/16 in Shank w/ 4 in Grip Length T-Handle Ball Lock Pin" which I am going to try for securing the doors. This will allow one to push the button on the T handle and insert the ball end into the existing hole provided by Thor. If it works it will eliminate screwing a lock in - instead just push in. Until the lock comes I will not know if it works.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I had a sticks and bricks we had issues with the door on the freezer on the residential fridge therein...

Used one of these to fix it.

Refrigerator Travel Locks - Latch Style - RV Designer H593 - Interior Hardware - Camping World

Worked great.. of course this unit was not bouncing down the freeway at 55 mph but still it worked great.. might work for you as well.

Another thought is a variation on the pin lock used on many RV fridges.

on my kitchen drawers here in the motor home the latches are not all that good,, So I got a couple of "Eye" bolts, these are lag bolts (not what you'd use on a fridge) with about a half inch EYE.

I drop a dowel road down through the eyes it is a 4 drawer stack, the eyes are beteen 1&2 and 3&4) and they do not come open till rod is removed. it's the old 2x4 across the door method but you could put loops of some kind on the unit and use a method like mine.

What do I use for my fridge: I do not have a residential fridge here. Just a very nice properly latched Dometic that works flawlessly.. Yes, I could use a bit more room but frankly, not all that much.

Wed is Senior Discount day at the local Supermarket so I do my major shopping every WED

Sunday the same supermarket is on my way to/from Church so I do my fill in shopping on the way home from church.. And I really enjoy going to church and singing in the choir.

NOTE: all the campgrounds I stay at.. There is always a supermarket between church and CG, (Church is always near one it seems).

Usually in the winter coming out of church I have my choice (Wal*mart, Bi-Lo, Aldi, occasionally Food Lion and Ingles depending on the Campground) here in GA it's Bi-Lo and soon Dollar General (Already a DG but they are moving and expanding). Summer depending on the CG Meijer's or Krogers awith Wal*mart and Aldi being only a short drive out of my way. But always good shopping on the way home so I do not need to fill the fridge with 2 weeks worth of food.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
This was easy & cheep. Pin is a 5/16" x 2" bolt with clear tubing on shoulder.

Peter

Old 11-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petcar View Post
This was easy & cheep. Pin is a 5/16" x 2" bolt with clear tubing on shoulder.

Peter

The pictures aren't showing up. Do you have a link?
Old 11-05-2014, 03:02 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Millennial said pix didn't show up. I used PHOTOBUCKET & pasted URL's. Doesn't mean I did it right. Can I Email or PM them to you? Peter
Old 11-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Redo
Started with this. Bent it, cut it, and drilled it.
Hope images stay this time, I didn't remove first ones. Peter

Old 11-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I believe that might be the best idea I have seen.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #10

Thanks for that idea! I also think it is probably the best idea I have seen yet. I am trying to come up with a plan to use something like this
Old 11-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
This is what we use. It has worked well in our unit for a year now.

When we are parked for awhile, we just pull the "Bar" portion out and store.

Ace 2-1/2in Bright Brass Sliding Door Latch - Latch & Flip Locks - Ace Hardware
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for that idea! I also think it is probably the best idea I have seen yet. I am trying to come up with a plan to use something like this
The T-bolt I ordered is 3/16 inch diameter and fits in the existing hole supplied by the factory. I added a fender washer with a piece of foam such that the foam applies some pressure to the closed doors. Two things I do not like - when removing you have several pieces to put somewhere, and when installing I have to "hunt" for the small hole to insert the bolt.

I am going to try Peters idea since it doesn't seem that either of the problems with the T-bolt concept exist. However, the T-bolt doesn't require any modification to the factory design.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #13

Quote:

Check out the posts on Palazzo mods there a couple ideas in there. I have a solution I came came up with posted on page 50 post #699 it is real simple and has worked great for us.

Rick
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #14

Ace slide

OK Dog Folks, you have our attention. We need pictures please.
David T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, fridge