Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A/C Units

I know there have been discussions on prior threads on the noise level of the 2 A/C units. It's difficult to hear the front TV if the front a/c unit is on and also to have a conversation without raised voices. We try to run the opposite a/c unit depending on where we are in the coach but this weekend we needed both units on during the day to keep it cool.

Can the a/c units be changed out to a more quiet unit ?? I was in several other coaches that have the return air (or whatever that thing is in the ceiling) where ours is and it was very quiet. I know Tiffin and I think it's Newmar that do not have that in the ceiling and that has been my main reason for looking at trades lately but I love this darn coach and it would be cheaper to buy new a/c's and have them installed than take the hit with a trade in on a coach that we love and have had no problems.

Any help would be appreciated.. If it can be done what would you estimate that it would cost ?? May not be a feasible upgrade..
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrace3 View Post
I know there have been discussions on prior threads on the noise level of the 2 A/C units. It's difficult to hear the front TV if the front a/c unit is on and also to have a conversation without raised voices. We try to run the opposite a/c unit depending on where we are in the coach but this weekend we needed both units on during the day to keep it cool.

Can the a/c units be changed out to a more quiet unit ?? I was in several other coaches that have the return air (or whatever that thing is in the ceiling) where ours is and it was very quiet. I know Tiffin and I think it's Newmar that do not have that in the ceiling and that has been my main reason for looking at trades lately but I love this darn coach and it would be cheaper to buy new a/c's and have them installed than take the hit with a trade in on a coach that we love and have had no problems.

Any help would be appreciated.. If it can be done what would you estimate that it would cost ?? May not be a feasible upgrade..
A/C units are fairly easy to replace if they are roof mount versions. You normally remove the panel on the inside of the coach and unbolt four bolts. Unplug the electrical plug or two and lift the unit off the roof. They have a thick seal you would want to replace if the new unit doesn't come with one.

If they are not roof mount, then they would be a little harder to replace and I believe the unit would cost a little more. I have replace two roof mounts before. The units normally cost $800 to $1,000. Install should only take an hour.

Either way you can find some nice quiet A/Cs which you do not often find in stock installations. I would agree you are better off replacing one of your units with a quiet and also better BTU for more cooling then trading your RV and getting another coach with a crapy A/C. That was why we replaced ours in the past. You can't beat an A/C that puts out the cool quickly.

In short be careful not to buy a new A/C based just on quiet. BTU will be very important as it will need to run much less as well.

Good Luck,
Old 06-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've had similar concerns about noise. While not too noisy for general use, it is hard to relax at night and watch a movie while they are both running.

Where would you find a source for upgraded A/C units for roof mount? Is there a rating on noise?
Old 06-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikboy View Post
We've had similar concerns about noise. While not too noisy for general use, it is hard to relax at night and watch a movie while they are both running.

Where would you find a source for upgraded A/C units for roof mount? Is there a rating on noise?
I have a pretty good RV guy and always ask him before purchasing. Emailing the manufactures is also a good place to start. It has been a while since I replaced one. My current coach has Dometic A/Cs but most of the sound comes from the air movement. We ended up adding a 12volt sound bar with a small 12volt amp to deal with the sound when A/C is required. We don't like A/C much but when you need it you sure need it, so this was our fix for now.

On the last coach that we replace the front A/C for a higher BTU rating which was also quieter but the air movement is still loud. At night we just ran the front unit which did a great job of cooling the whole coach without having to run the bedroom unit. Higher BTU meant it ran shorter periods of time. You could hang meat in the coach, it worked so well.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrace3 View Post

I concur with your statements. I had to run both of mine during the day as well. When weather permits cycling front to back works well but I would also be interested in any replacement units that would have a quiet and higher BTU rating. Would love to hear solutions!
Ridinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridinbear View Post
I concur with your statements. I had to run both of mine during the day as well. When weather permits cycling front to back works well but I would also be interested in any replacement units that would have a quiet and higher BTU rating. Would love to hear solutions!

Me too! I'm interested in hearing about a particular brand so I can look into the same. Can't enjoy relaxing with a good movie in bed at because it sounds like there's a helicopter is sitting on top of the roof.
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I'm am very interested!

I agree! Would like to first upgrade to a quieter roof mount A/C unit. I would also go from the 13,500 btu unit to a 15,000 btu unit with a heat-pump. Not sure if they use a standard bundle set-up wiring harness to allow hook-up to reverse compressor at thermostat. I know the current Thermostats would have to be changed out to incorporate the heat pump switch.

If Harness would not allow a heat pump, I would still entertain going with bigger btu units! As said in a previous post, Their are four long bolts that hold the roof top A/C unit down onto a compression gasket. Additionallly, units are also supported by hard foam spacers at each end. So change out is easy! But the hard part is getting the new A/C unit up on the roof and the old one down.

Have my long awaited appointment next Monday [14th] at factory and will ask for an answer for the heat pump option.

I too, like the Palazzo 33.2 and would rather pay a few bucks to upgrade a few things. But if and when I trade, besides taking a hit on trade-in offer I would try to sell myself. Then if successful, I feel I am a little more experienced to what I want in a coach.

I would really like one that got a Zillion miles to the gallon or a hybrid with torque power since we have the generator and can install many solar panels. OK....I'll wake up now from dreaming!

I will post what Thor suggests on this subject!

Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Voyage View Post
I agree! Would like to first upgrade to a quieter roof mount A/C unit. I would also go from the 13,500 btu unit to a 15,000 btu unit with a heat-pump. Not sure if they use a standard bundle set-up wiring harness to allow hook-up to reverse compressor at thermostat. I know the current Thermostats would have to be changed out to incorporate the heat pump switch.

If Harness would not allow a heat pump, I would still entertain going with bigger btu units! As said in a previous post, Their are four long bolts that hold the roof top A/C unit down onto a compression gasket. Additionallly, units are also supported by hard foam spacers at each end. So change out is easy! But the hard part is getting the new A/C unit up on the roof and the old one down.

Have my long awaited appointment next Monday [14th] at factory and will ask for an answer for the heat pump option.

I too, like the Palazzo 33.2 and would rather pay a few bucks to upgrade a few things. But if and when I trade, besides taking a hit on trade-in offer I would try to sell myself. Then if successful, I feel I am a little more experienced to what I want in a coach.

I would really like one that got a Zillion miles to the gallon or a hybrid with torque power since we have the generator and can install many solar panels. OK....I'll wake up now from dreaming!

I will post what Thor suggests on this subject!

Don
Don,

I would bite the bullet and replace the front one with one that is quieter but that is subjective. Several manufacturers advertise quiet models but no data as to how quiet or quiet compared to what? I would not be a happy camper if I pay $1000 dollars and still have a similar problem. A higher BTU would be nice and a heat pump would also be nice but it would be the reduction in noise that would get me to open my wallet!

See you in Goshen!

Jack
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Your right Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Don,

I would bite the bullet and replace the front one with one that is quieter but that is subjective. Several manufacturers advertise quiet models but no data as to how quiet or quiet compared to what? I would not be a happy camper if I pay $1000 dollars and still have a similar problem. A higher BTU would be nice and a heat pump would also be nice but it would be the reduction in noise that would get me to open my wallet!

See you in Goshen!

Jack
You are correct in your logic Jack! That would be the main driver for this subject!

My new Cowboy Hat/Boots are in MH ready for Goshen! Looking forward to it!

Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Don,

See you in Goshen!

Jack
Guess I'll be the guinea pig on this.. I have an appointment with a local shop on Aug 12 to install front speakers for the cockpit and also put a quick connect for me to connect a low pressure double burner cooker to the onboard propane tank. Tired of taking up space with a portable tank. They are also doing research on upgrading the A/C units. I'll do the front one first until I can listen to it to see if it is truly quieter. Adding one with a heat pump would be really awesome too.

I'll let yall know what they find for me and more importantly how much it will cost.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #11

Waiting for this AC information WStrace3 :-)

2013 Palazzo 33.3
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
Ridinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridinbear View Post
Waiting for this AC information WStrace3 :-)

2013 Palazzo 33.3
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
X2 on the feedback on the A/C noise level!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My local shop recommended an Atwood. go to www.askforatwood.com
Atwood's US office is in Elkhart, IN but you can put your zip code in and it will tell you where the nearest service center is located.

I'm going to go by my local shop this week and sit in their coach and crank up their Atwood's and see if there is a difference. They said they have tried dometic and several others but the Atwood is hands down the quietest. The 18 btu comes standard with a heat pump also. I'm not going to pretend I know the difference between our 13.5 btu and what an 18 btu would do in our coach but was thinking 18btu up front and their 16 btu in rear. Or would I need to run the back except for extremely hot days if the front was 18 and left the back as is ???
Old 07-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ok.. this is going to get technical. I just called radio shack and they have a digital sound level meter in stock. I'm going to go by tomorrow on my way home from TX and pick one up and measure the Atwood and compare to ours. My dad has an Itasca Meridian which is super quiet and I'll also measure his and my father in law's HR Endeavor.

Stay tuned...