Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #1

Adding fresh water from bucket

I had heard it was possible to fill your fresh water tank by using a hose with one end threaded into regular fill and the other placed into full bucket of water. You simply turn valve to appropriate control and water was sucked into tank using pump. I tried this procedure and it didn't work. Any help is appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I am not sure but as I recall you can select Sanitize/Winterize which will suck water from a bucket and fill the main water tank. You might need to get the bucket above the water pump level to get started.

In my opinion the Sanitize/Winterize position should distribute winterizing solution through all the water lines, but instead it only goes in the main tank - go figure.

jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have read something about that in my book and I don't see why it is not possible. The pump is in there it's a matter of routing your plumbing such as to pull from the outside instead of from the tank. Your manual should explain the procedure. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #4

Your water source was probably to far from the pump. It is a so called self priming pump and some types will draw up to 6' vertical. Try putting water in the hose first and then hold you thumb over the end and dip it in the water bucket as you turn on the pump or have bucket closer to the same level as the pump. The theory is that the pump will create a vacuum and atmospheric pressure will push the water up the hose to prime it but that doesn't always work. If you want to fill your fresh water tank from a bucket or spare water supply you many consider a small pump that fits on an electric drill (battery powered if you boondock), you can get them at Harbor Freight for less than $3. Gear pumps are the best at pulling a vacuum for self priming. I believe the pumps used in RV are diaphragm pumps and can be run dry without damage but not as good at pulling a vacuum.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
I am not sure but as I recall you can select Sanitize/Winterize which will suck water from a bucket and fill the main water tank. You might need to get the bucket above the water pump level to get started.

In my opinion the Sanitize/Winterize position should distribute winterizing solution through all the water lines, but instead it only goes in the main tank - go figure.

Go to the Anderson website and look at the rv valve page. It shows the path that water flows for each position of the valve.
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:37 AM   #6

Your water tank is not pressurized. So the water pump will not create a vacuum through the fill hole. Put your bucket higher than the fill inlet and use a siphon hose.

Or rig a 12v pump that uses a bucket for a reservoir.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #7

I was wondering why the winterize setting didn't draw RV fluid from the bottle. You answered my question. I set up a hose to draw directly into the intake side of the pump for winterizing.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since your posting this, does that mean you don't have a "Gravity Fill" port?

I have a 18" piece of garden hose with a female hose fitting.
I hook it to the garden hose, and fill through the gravity feed port. Since the end of the hose has been cut off, I can snake it down into the fill port and turn it on the water with almost full flow.

The winterize valves will usually switch the pump input to suction line instead of the tank.
The other winterize vale will bypass the water heater so you don
t have to fill it with pink stuff....just drain it.

Regards,

Dan
Old 12-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #9

Dan,
The Palazzo does not have a gravity fill port for the fresh water tank. A previous poster mentioned that the fresh water tank venting does not allow the water pump to draw a vacuum to pull anti-freeze from a jug when in the "Sanitize/Winterize" position.
I added a direct suction hose to the intake side of the pump for winterizing and it works very well.
Dave
Old 12-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBounder View Post
Dan,
The Palazzo does not have a gravity fill port for the fresh water tank. A previous poster mentioned that the fresh water tank venting does not allow the water pump to draw a vacuum to pull anti-freeze from a jug when in the "Sanitize/Winterize" position.
I added a direct suction hose to the intake side of the pump for winterizing and it works very well.
Dave
Dave, on my 2015 33.2 all I had to do was to use the Sanitize/Winterize position with a short hose, set the bottle of antifreeze inside the wet bay, go inside turn on my pump above the door and started drawing
RV anti-freeze right away. Of course I bypassed hot water heater but was pleasantly surprised since I have read different Palazzo owners having troubles doing this. I used two gallons that did most all the water lines plus the washer but use another gallon putting extra in traps and tanks. Just lucky, I guess.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean1255 View Post
I had heard it was possible to fill your fresh water tank by using a hose with one end threaded into regular fill and the other placed into full bucket of water. You simply turn valve to appropriate control and water was sucked into tank using pump. I tried this procedure and it didn't work. Any help is appreciated.
Mean1255
Not all RVs have a filler hose with which water can be drawn from a bucket and pumped into the tank with the on board 12V water pump.

My coach has only a hose connector for filling the water tank, (no gravity filler).
It is impossible to fill my fresh water tank from a bucket... (unless I draw water from a bucket with an accessory water pump of some kind and pump it into my water filler hose connector).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my pump. the connections are plastic fittings which can be hand tightened.
I am pretty sure that every RV will be plumbed such that the output of the pump always goes to the internal water lines, and the suction side comes from the water tank.

Considering I am a Cheapskate, I would try the following.
Rather than buy a second pump, I would make two hoses.
One to suck from the pump, and the other to connect the output of the pump to the hose fitting input to the water fill.

Then just disconnect the RV pump and reconnect with these hoses.

Same concept as previously posted.

OR....if you already have a winterizing valve which will let the pump suck from a bucket, you can add a winterizing valve on the output. (this is really a two-way valve). The output of this valve will connect to the fresh water fill connection.

But after all of this, can't you just connect a hose to the place where you are filling your bucket??

Regards,

Dan
Old 12-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #13

I feel sorry for all of you. We live in Texas. If it gets that cold I just go turn a heater on for a couple of hours. So far we have never had to do it. We go North in the summer to visit.
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean1255 View Post
Just for curiousity. Why do you want to fill fresh water tank on a Palazzo with a bucket of water? You just hook a hose to the fill port and put the Anderson valve on the normal position and turn on water and fill tank! Works this way on mine!!

Confused!

FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water