Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
AGM Batteries and LED Taillights

I am looking to replace my 4 house batteries with sealed ones, and I understand Lifeline are the ones to get. Any 2014 Palazzo owners out there that have done this? If so, can you please advise as to the model you purchased and where you purchased them from? I don't want to have to switch out my inverter or purchase a charger. I'd like them to work with my existing Magnum inverter.

Also, I'm looking for the link to the company that sells the LED tail lights for the 2014 model. Mine are ready for an upgrade

Many thanks!
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #2

I don't have the same model and make of motorhome, (2010 Winnebago Tour)

When I got the motor home, it had (4) 12 volt batteries. Shortly after purchasing the coach, I changed to (4) 6 volt Lifeline batteries. The (4) 6 volt batteries had a significant increase in amperage than the (4) 12 volts. Lifeline batteries are very expensive but in my opinion are well worth the money.
Fortunately for me, Lifeline is located in San Dimas, about 20 minutes from my home. (that's where I purchased the batteries) You can call Lifeline at (909) 599-7816 and see if they ship or if they can give you the name of a vendor in your area.
Your inverter has settings, probably "dip" switches that will adjust the charging of AGM batteries. Call the manufacturer of your inverter and they will give you the settings or, look in your owners manual.

In regard to LED tail lights, are you looking for a whole assembly or just bulbs? If it's bulbs, and you're changing out the brake lights, sometimes, you're turn signal flasher won't work because it can't sense the minimal voltage going the the brake/turn signal bulb.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #3

I installed Lifeline GPL-6CT AGM batteries. See here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/pala...ml#post2498767
These batteries are higher than standard and require some modifications to the battery compartment, but I got 600AH capacity. I got them online, the price was about $400 each. I have 2015 33.2, not sure if your 36.1 has same battery compartment. You can use GPL-4CT. These are same size as standard and same capacity 400AH, and price is less, I believe $300 or so. Magnum inverter does have a setting specific for Lifeline AGM.
I'm very happy with the batteries (other than price). I also installed a disconnect switch, and with it off I had virtually no discharge over the winter storage months.
Mike
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

LED Tail Lights

Don and I have both used tail lights from superbrightled.com. We have had no issues with the stop/tail, turn, and backup lights being changed. Note that the entire assembly is changed, not just a bulb. It is a sealed unit, but it just plugs right in. For our model Palazzo, they are the same as many truck units. Most of these have already been converted to LED.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #5

Installed 4 lifeline 1 1/2 years ago on our 2013 33.2. Love them. Just make the adjustment on the setting for the batteries
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD View Post
Installed 4 lifeline 1 1/2 years ago on our 2013 33.2. Love them. Just make the adjustment on the setting for the batteries
Would you mind sharing the model number of the Lifelines you purchased? My inverter is a Magnum model ME 2012. Is that what you have also?
Old 05-06-2016, 09:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by myarmar View Post
I installed Lifeline GPL-6CT AGM batteries. See here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/pala...ml#post2498767
These batteries are higher than standard and require some modifications to the battery compartment, but I got 600AH capacity. I got them online, the price was about $400 each. I have 2015 33.2, not sure if your 36.1 has same battery compartment. You can use GPL-4CT. These are same size as standard and same capacity 400AH, and price is less, I believe $300 or so. Magnum inverter does have a setting specific for Lifeline AGM.
I'm very happy with the batteries (other than price). I also installed a disconnect switch, and with it off I had virtually no discharge over the winter storage months.
Mike
Would you mind providing more details on what modifications you needed to fit the larger batteries?
venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #8

I had to relocate two circuit breakers on the left wall a little higher, drill new holes in the walls to attach holding frames. Also at the same time I installed house battery disconnect switch and it replaced a stud that had 3 battery cables on it. To put the batteries in I had to remove the latch keeper, and also those circuit breakers were on the way, had to remove them from the wall and reinstall after the batteries. The frame for two batteries sitting under the shelf has to go as soon as the batteries are in the compartment, but before they are in the final position. This frame had to be modified to fit under the shelf supporting member. It was like a jigsaw puzzle, and it may be different for your compartment. If you absolutely need more AH go for it, otherwise just install GPL-4CT.
Mike
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462597908.373237.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	126307I haven't actually pulled the trigger yet but this is the best price I have found around and they always have a coupon code for this discount. I will probably get a set of 4 in another year since my coach is only a '15
Millennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
Would you mind sharing the model number of the Lifelines you purchased? My inverter is a Magnum model ME 2012. Is that what you have also?

Let me look it up and get back with you
Old 05-07-2016, 06:07 AM   #11

Gingerela-

I bought the Lifeline GPL-4CTs. I sent you a private message yesterday with the details.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #12

Sorry, I was driving yesterday including Houston rush hour. The driving does not bother me but my wife was working on the computer and I was trying not to put her through the windshield. I have the same batteries and magnum. I called magnum and I adjusted the settings for the batteries as not to fry them. They are a lot better than the wet cells and much cleaner. I happy!!!!
Old 05-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Thank you to all who responded. I am driving home to Maryland from Elkhart. I was unsuccessful in locating any Lifelines in Elkhart during my stay there. I was hoping to have them installed and also wanted to add a disconnect switch.

I have learned that it isn't easy to get RV parts and accessories in the RV Capitol of the World. Even the few remaining surplus stores are lacking in inventory. I did, however, score a gorgeous three seat recliner sofa from Lippert to replace the 'rock' that was in there originally. What a HUGE difference! I also made a few more modifications to my Palazzo that will enhance my RVing experience even further. I'm at a rest stop now, but will post photos in the Palazzo Mod thread when I make it home.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #14

Safe travels

Tags
batteries, led, light, lights