Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
All slides stopped working!!!

Just returned from a month and half trip no problems. Left to attend a rally for Cummin's Power Club in Columbus Indiana and the Thor rally right after that!

My first sleep stop, went to extend big slide and NOTHING!!!! Tried bed room slide Nothing!!!! Check 30 amp fuse and found to be good. Started and stopped engine again hopefully to reset the ignition slide stop relay.......Nothing! Went in storage bays and looked up with the help of a mirror and both slide controllers had no lights no nothing!!!

Spoke to Thor Service and they will have a team on it next Monday morning to fix it.......hopefully!

Nothing like tight quarters while traveling! Feel like I am in my Truck camper.

Stopped and had batteries tested for a dead cell or anything and all were found to be OK. Got to camp ground here and a full 4 battery indicator lights was there! Thanks to new Trombetta Silver tipped solenoid installed a few weeks ago.

Right now I have no clue what to do and thought to share this incident and will update when the root cause is determined and fixed by Thor. This will hopefully help fellow Palazzo owners if the need arises.

Yes I am pissed off......if you are wondering.

Had big slide updated to triple [3] track at last year's rally and haven't had a problem since until now.

Still love the adventure these coach's provide though!

Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #2

Don -

Random brainstorming here. It's sounds like a power issue.

Slides run off DC power, any other DC power problems ?
Is your ignition in the off position ? Or try turning on then off ? See if something is wrong with the failsafe there ? I don't think slides will operate when ignition is NOT off ?
Did you try slides while on shore power ? Not on shore power ? Try slides with genset running ? (again brainstorming).
Any other master DC fuses in line between slides and house batteries ?

- Mike
mmullane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #3

Jump them if need or there should be a manual operation mode. Mine work even if battery switch is off. Wired direct to batteries with circuit breakers. I can get mine in or out with a drill attachment as well.
Donnymirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Don,
I had the same symptoms: neither slide functioning and the 30A fuse intact. Finally discovered that the wire connector on the back of the 12V fuse panel to the "SLIDE MOTOR PWR" 30A fuse was loose.
Gary
Old 09-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #5

Great information
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NettieRegina View Post
Don,
I had the same symptoms: neither slide functioning and the 30A fuse intact. Finally discovered that the wire connector on the back of the 12V fuse panel to the "SLIDE MOTOR PWR" 30A fuse was loose.
Gary
Thanks Gary!

But I pulled the fuse which was good and put a meter on the right side of terminal and found it had voltage.

Put a meter on each of the controller main power feed and found both right side had power going to them. The slide switches complete the circuit to the bottom of controller in either the extend or retract mode position of switch inside coach. These terminals are located between each of the motor drive connections.

I now believe [not sure] that it's in the ignition circuit relay that cuts off the power to the two slide switches. Next Monday at Thor's rally in Goshen, Service will be on board to fix. I will post the result of the problem for all to have!

Was suggested to jump from controller power feed[red wire] and touch either the extend or retract terminal to see if slide goes in or out. On the road and do not have all of my tools nor wire to perform jump. Will just put up with railroad car accommodations until next Monday!

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide controller.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	140141  
Old 09-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Voyage View Post
Was suggested to jump from controller power feed[red wire] and touch either the extend or retract terminal to see if slide goes in or out. On the road and do not have all of my tools nor wire to perform jump. Will just put up with railroad car accommodations until next Monday!

Don
Wise decision. You've already done an excellent job of fault-analysis, and attempting to bypass the controllers would be above and beyond the call of duty.

Enjoy the rally. I wish we could have attended this year especially to meet some of the folks on this forum.
Gary
Old 09-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #8

I'm assuming you have tried the over ride function on the board.
Donnymirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Voyage View Post

I now believe [not sure] that it's in the ignition circuit relay that cuts off the power to the two slide switches. Next Monday at Thor's rally in Goshen, Service will be on board to fix. I will post the result of the problem for all to have!

Don
Don, Good job of troubleshooting. Might Thor be able to give you a test point for the ignition lockout? There sure are a lot of lockouts on the Palazzo. More than once I have tried to start mine and it failed to turn over. Then I find the transmission is in gear. It is a relief to discover something that brings the engine to life. If the lockout fails then the engine won't run at all.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Don, on my 35.1 the ignition relay is located in the left side forward basement storage bay in the 12v fuse panel. If the relay doesn't close other things like the wipers would not work. Maybe try tapping on the relay with the ignition switch in the ON position to see if anything energizes?
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
All fixed!

Removed access panel over circuit breaker panel under the bed in my unit. The wire feeding the slides 30 amp circuit had disconnected and was hanging down. I did not see it the first time I went in there as it was below harness. Upon re-connection to the 30 amp slide location [#16] on my panel and the back has numbers also, all worked!

I suggest when you have to check things I would go back in there make sure all the connections are well seated. I found a few still connected but seated further in.

Guess bad road ruts with speed bumps rattles these coaches. But learned something new.

No more camping in a rail road car for me now!!!!

Don
Old 09-30-2016, 07:04 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
👍 Happy Camper now.
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:00 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don Voyage, thanks for posting, great information to have when things don't go the right way!
Rwstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #14

We're in same boat! Now our windshield wipers stopped!!
Mean1255 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide