Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Auto vs Manual levelling

Does anyone know why the light that indicates when you're level is a solid light when using auto-level, and a blinking light, when manually levelling?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I had that question answered by the Lippert rep at last year's TDC rally in Goshen. Both indications, solid and flashing, mean that the coach has attained the reference attitude which is "level" if properly set.

The solid indication additionally means that the automatic sequence has terminated.
You may have noticed occasionally during the auto-level procedure you might see the flashing indication and after more movement the solid indication. This will happen if the coach is level (momentary flashing) but not all four jacks have contacted the surface. In this case the auto system continues until all four have made contact AND the coach is level. The system then confirms the auto sequence has completed.

I've never felt the need to manually level my coach.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated.

I've been playing with the manual level only because when I got the coach the auto-level wasn't level. I'm in the process of resetting it...
Old 09-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #4

Our older Georgetown had auto level, but it didn't seem to be able to figure out how to go lower to get level. When I needed a two-step bathroom stool to get to the bottom step at the entry door, I figured it was too high.

How I settled the issue was to park on my driveway, which is about 3/4" per foot sloped towards the street. I then put a carpenter's level on the bottom of the fridge interior and played around with the system until that level was within a 1/8 of a bubble in both axes.

Once set, I applied two stick-on mini-level gauges where I could see them from the driver's seat, from where the leveling jack control panel was accessible. From then on, I was able to get the rig very close to level using the manual controls, without extending the jacks too far.

It took maybe 2 minutes, once I got used to it. I could also check the two mini-gauges to see if the campsite was too sloped to be comfortable. We asked for a different site a couple of times based on that.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
On a related question... I always use my auto-level too, and it seems to do a great job most of the time, resulting in a solid green light in the center telling me I am level.

But sometimes if I'm on a particularly unlevel site, the lever works pretty hard and extends the jacks quite a bit to achieve level. Eventually I get a blinking green center light AND blinking left and right arrows blinking in sync with the center green square.

I don't know what this means, but I have interpreted it to mean that it is as level as possible under the circumstances, maybe only level left-to-right (thus the blinking left and right arrows), but not perfectly level.

Does anyone know for sure what that means?
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
On a related question... I always use my auto-level too, and it seems to do a great job most of the time, resulting in a solid green light in the center telling me I am level.

But sometimes if I'm on a particularly unlevel site, the lever works pretty hard and extends the jacks quite a bit to achieve level. Eventually I get a blinking green center light AND blinking left and right arrows blinking in sync with the center green square.

I don't know what this means, but I have interpreted it to mean that it is as level as possible under the circumstances, maybe only level left-to-right (thus the blinking left and right arrows), but not perfectly level.

Does anyone know for sure what that means?

It means the system has reached its limit of jack extension without achieving the reference (level attitude).

At the TDC rally I received a supplementary mini-manual by Lippert; I'll post it if I can find it.

Gary
Old 09-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
ERROR MODE
If any problem is detected with the jacks, the system will enter error mode. Error
mode may be recognized by the blinking of LEFT, LEVEL and RIGHT LEDs.
The following errors are detected by this system:
•
Jack over current/short circuit.

•
Jack under current/ open circuit.

•
Jack extending too long (ground not detected after 2 min.).

•
Jack retracting too long (fully retracted not detected after 2 min.).

•
Out of stroke detection during auto cycle (if enabled).

The user must respond by pressing ON/OFF switch, which resets operation.
All normal features are disabled in Error mode.
If panel loses communication with the controller for more than 5 seconds, the
panel will blink the JACKS DOWN, PARK BRAKE and
ON/OFF (if included) LEDs.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
This should be a Operation and Service Manual on the Ultra Level jacks:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Level Ops and Serv Manual.pdf (1.04 MB, 89 views)
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:31 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NettieRegina View Post
I had that question answered by the Lippert rep at last year's TDC rally in Goshen. Both indications, solid and flashing, mean that the coach has attained the reference attitude which is "level" if properly set.

The solid indication additionally means that the automatic sequence has terminated.
You may have noticed occasionally during the auto-level procedure you might see the flashing indication and after more movement the solid indication. This will happen if the coach is level (momentary flashing) but not all four jacks have contacted the surface. In this case the auto system continues until all four have made contact AND the coach is level. The system then confirms the auto sequence has completed.

I've never felt the need to manually level my coach.
Thanks Gary for the information. I too had wondered the same as John the difference in the flashing and solid after leveling. Had checked the manual and discovered it did not contain the info. Thanks again.
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by NettieRegina View Post
It means the system has reached its limit of jack extension without achieving the reference (level attitude).

At the TDC rally I received a supplementary mini-manual by Lippert; I'll post it if I can find it.

Gary

Thanks Gary. So in this situation I suppose I should NOT go ahead and extend my full wall slide then, as I'm not perfectly level. Thanks.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual