Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Big Slide/Rail System/Support Rollers and preventive maintenance questions.

Ok fellow Palazzo Owners I have just learned something important about the big slide and I've never seen this addressed.

Is there anyone out there who have been instructed on preventive maintenance steps to ensure your Support Rollers work correctly?

Two days ago I arrived at Grand Lake, CO and my big slide got stuck as I began to extend it. The upper rail area near drivers seat would not move out. I noticed this issue quickly and stopped. I called the THOR Technical phone number and when I explained the circumstances I was told that it sounded like one of my Support Rollers was not working correctly. They instructed me to bring slide back in and have it addressed at service center.

This is the first time I've heard about maintenance required on this area of the big slide. It's great information and I've been in contact with Steve Reed and they will instruct me on this issue during our Rally on October 3rd.
Mean1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #2

I would check to see if there is some obstruction of the roller. As far as I know there is no specified maintenance for the rollers unless they do not contact the plates. I had two plates that were too short causing a problem when the roller left the plate. This was found on my last slide system rebuild and has corrected problems with my big slide. I periodically use dry lube on the plates but I have had screws and other items obstruct a roller.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #3

The first time our slide system was repaired (replacement of double track) the dealer tech noticed the front roller was not contacting the the plate, so a shim was installed. The second time the slide system was repaired (upgrade to triple track) by a Thor contract maintenance center the tech replaced a couple of the rollers and gave me two extras (the adjustable type not the original fixed type). When we took it back to the same shop six months later I had the same tech check the slide, as it seemed to be "slower". He found there was a lot of dog hair in the rollers (we are now more careful to clean the under slide area.)

Recently I noticed a couple of the screws holding the plate that was shimmed during the original repair were loose and could not be tightened (stripped out and rusted). Since I didn't have any of the exact same screw I used a couple of standard pan head self drilling screws one gauge larger. When I next retracted the slide it stopped with about 6 inches still out! I ran it back out, replaced those pan head with new lower profile longer truss head screws (like the originals) and it then worked correctly. So the clearance where those screws pass over the roller base is extremely close.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #4

Big Slide/Rail System/Support Rollers/Metal Plates

I visited Wakarusa on Thanksgiving week (November 21-22) and THOR replaced my 2TRAX with the 3TRAX. They forgot to reattach (and I forgot to check that they were attached) my metal plates so I had them attached here in Conroe, Texas at DeMontrond RV.
** BE SURE TO ALWAYS CHECK/INSPECT work prior to leaving or paying.
I checked the work and noted the plates we're screwed into the metal plate that runs the length of the slide! This caused the slide to lift/raise as it seated into the side of our coach causing the inside part of slide to tip downward, almost dragging on the floor! I wouldn't be writing this note to my fellow Palazzo owners except I had specifically provided instructions and gave them contact information to Steve Reed so they could talk to a Thor Tech on how to correctly install the plates!
I inspected the TRAX and did not see where this improper install damaged them and you can bet I will inspect all TRAX again once they complete work!
GOOD NEWS concerning The 3TRAX install is that THOR also replaced big slide motors , controller and harness/cable at their expense. I'm hopeful that this upgrade will last longer than the two previous 2TRAX replacemts within 10 months!
Mean1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:06 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For those of you who have had continued problems with your full wall slide out on your Thor Palazzo, go online and type in "Johnson vs Thor Motor Coach". If considering buying a motor home, do your homework.
tontodeabril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I doubt the language in Thor's contracts is much different from the other manufacturers. If you would like more information, check out this video.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #7

there are plenty of debris under the large slides... screws, pieces of wood etc.... get a broom stick and try to get them out.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, maintenance, slide, vent