Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #1

Cable TV combination?

Have done everything I know to do and still am not getting decent cable
TV. There has to be something I am overlooking. I know how to use the remote to program for cable but most of the channels are not coming in good. The weird thing is I can turn the antenna a bit and it does have a small effect on reception. I wouldn't think it would be linked to cable but it seems it is. If anyone has a remedy for me I would appreciate the help. Thanks!!!
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Winegard batwing antenna has either a wall plate with a switch that turns on the amplifier in the antenna head or a video switch box that turns the antenna on. In either case the amplifier must be off for the park cable TV to work. When the LED on the wall plate is lit the amp is on and must be turned off. This also acts as an A/B switch and switches from the batwing to the cable.
When the switch box is set to the external roof antenna it must be switched to external cable position.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
The Winegard batwing antenna has either a wall plate with a switch that turns on the amplifier in the antenna head or a video switch box that turns the antenna on. In either case the amplifier must be off for the park cable TV to work. When the LED on the wall plate is lit the amp is on and must be turned off. This also acts as an A/B switch and switches from the batwing to the cable.
When the switch box is set to the external roof antenna it must be switched to external cable position.
Thanks Clay L for your reply but I do not have what you are describing. I am looking up my manual for a Monoprice device I have which is located under the DVD player. I don't know if this box has anything to do with cable tv or not????
Old 11-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
The switch on my coach looks like a standard wall plate with a very small button in the middle. It turns the antenna amplifier on/off and must be off for the cable to work. That being said, most cable at RV parks stinks even when you do everything right.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
The switch on my coach looks like a standard wall plate with a very small button in the middle. It turns the antenna amplifier on/off and must be off for the cable to work. That being said, most cable at RV parks stinks even when you do everything right.
Thanks Jones. I have looked everywhere but my coach doesn't have a button like you are talking about. I have searched high and low for the "combination" to my cable TV problem and have not seen anything that might be the fix to this. You are probably right about the bad cable RV parks offer. Might just be my problem.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen both the standard and the "Upgrade" Winegard switch and the King Controls (Jack) Switch and some other companies

The standard switch is a wall plate. it has an antenna connection 12 volt outlet, switch and light. LIGHT MUST BE OFF for Cable

This device is several things. Switch, Power inserter, Splitter, Source switch, IT IS NOT A BOOSTER (usually).. But it is often called that.

The upgrade switches are 1: Sensar Pro (A wall plate with 3 buttons 2 digital displays and a few LED indicators The displays and indicators will be OFF if you have not touched any buttons recently.. Touch the MODE button till the indiactors turn off for Cable. And 2: A box with MANY buttons.. One, in each group, will be labeled CABLE, press that one (or Those).

Beyond that I need to be hands/eyes on to help you.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have seen both the standard and the "Upgrade" Winegard switch and the King Controls (Jack) Switch and some other companies

The standard switch is a wall plate. it has an antenna connection 12 volt outlet, switch and light. LIGHT MUST BE OFF for Cable

This device is several things. Switch, Power inserter, Splitter, Source switch, IT IS NOT A BOOSTER (usually).. But it is often called that.

The upgrade switches are 1: Sensar Pro (A wall plate with 3 buttons 2 digital displays and a few LED indicators The displays and indicators will be OFF if you have not touched any buttons recently.. Touch the MODE button till the indiactors turn off for Cable. And 2: A box with MANY buttons.. One, in each group, will be labeled CABLE, press that one (or Those).

Beyond that I need to be hands/eyes on to help you.
Thanks for your detailed explanation Wa8yxm. I have a Monoprice splitter but it does not do anything, I think, for the cable TV. Thanks again for your time.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #8

mine has the 'bomb' button box in the upper coach cabinet - make sure each tv is set to cable, then scan for cable channels on each tv to find channels - this bypasses your antenna, and you dont need to have the bomb 'on', just each tv switched to 'cable' on the bomb box
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
mine has the 'bomb' button box in the upper coach cabinet - make sure each tv is set to cable, then scan for cable channels on each tv to find channels - this bypasses your antenna, and you dont need to have the bomb 'on', just each tv switched to 'cable' on the bomb box
Mister T, Thank you for your reply but after a complete inspection I find no 'Bomb' button box anywhere in my 33.2. Maybe they forgot to put one in. I will call Thor in the morning to see if they can shed some light on it.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not sure if this will help...but...this is from a download from this website: https://thormotorcoach.com/document-archive?cat_id=14 of the 2015 Thor Palazzo Owner's Manual.

On page 70 is the following:

It is helpful to keep the owners manuals for all electronics to use as reference.
Some functions described in this guide are “generic” and may require the individual
component manual to full explanation.
1. Locate the antenna boost plate located in the cabinet above the passenger seat.
(EX. 1)
2. Depress the “ON/OFF” button to turn the booster “ON”. A green indicator light will
illuminate indicating the booster is active.
3. Turn on the desired TV and select a channel. (Refer to TV owners manual for
programming instructions if using TV for the first time.)
Note: When using park cable, the booster should be off.
The connection for coax cable is located driver’s side in sewer bay.
1. Go to the antenna boost plate located in the cabinet above the passenger seat.
2. Depress the on/off button to turn the booster “OFF” The green indicator light will no
longer be illuminated.
3. Turn on the desired TV and select a channel. Refer to TV owners manual for
programming instructions if using TV for the first time. Consult the cable directory
provided by your campground or resort for detailed channel listings.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-02-2015, 05:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Not sure if this will help...but...this is from a download from this website: https://thormotorcoach.com/document-archive?cat_id=14 of the 2015 Thor Palazzo Owner's Manual.

On page 70 is the following:

It is helpful to keep the owners manuals for all electronics to use as reference.
Some functions described in this guide are “generic” and may require the individual
component manual to full explanation.
1. Locate the antenna boost plate located in the cabinet above the passenger seat.
(EX. 1)
2. Depress the “ON/OFF” button to turn the booster “ON”. A green indicator light will
illuminate indicating the booster is active.
3. Turn on the desired TV and select a channel. (Refer to TV owners manual for
programming instructions if using TV for the first time.)
Note: When using park cable, the booster should be off.
The connection for coax cable is located driver’s side in sewer bay.
1. Go to the antenna boost plate located in the cabinet above the passenger seat.
2. Depress the on/off button to turn the booster “OFF” The green indicator light will no
longer be illuminated.
3. Turn on the desired TV and select a channel. Refer to TV owners manual for
programming instructions if using TV for the first time. Consult the cable directory
provided by your campground or resort for detailed channel listings.

Take care,
Stu
777 Driver, Thanks for the great info. My problem is that there is no switch in the cabinet above the passengers seat, or anywhere else as far as that goes. I have all my manuals and stuff on hand but find no help there so far. Thanks again!!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are anwyhere near S.E. Ga I can look at the system for you.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You might try this:

Your coach may be equipped with various audio visual components. Due to the large
variety of equipment and variation in installation this section should be considered
a general overview of the entertainment equipment. If you are having A/V issues
please refer to the component specific user’s guides that were included in your unit
pack. If you cannot find a resolution to your issue you may contact a Thor Motor
Coach Dealer with questions or contact the Thor Motor Coach Customer Service
Department at 877-855-2867.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #14

Thanks for all the help friends. We are in Crossville, tn and have tried to contact Thor but the phone reception is bad in these mts. Heading to Jonesborough, tn in a while, might have better phone service there or in route. Will let everyone know what my fix was when I get one. Thanks!!