RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:04 PM   #1

Can I run my convection oven on inverter when driving on the road ?

I installed my new Sharp microwave/convection oven in my Palazzo. If I want to use it in either the convection mode or the microwave mode , can I use it while driving WITHOUT running the generator ?

I am guessing it will draw more power when using it in the convection mode.

Thanks,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EE4B2AE7-F585-4039-9B9B-6AF4C721E02E.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	271084  

ky bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2019, 06:08 PM   #2

Remember, your inverter might not be a pure sine wave output, and I would be reluctant to try it if thatís the case.

bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
This would have a pretty high draw, probably +10 amp at 120 volt or 120 amp at 12 volt. This would push you alternator.
I wouldn't do it
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:10 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wouldn't. That would drain the batteries pretty quickly.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:12 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
You'll need to run Your Generator !
Do your seat belts stretch that far ? Kidding !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:12 PM   #6

Good point, mine is a modified sine wave inverter,. So I will need to have my generator running to use it to be sure my new oven likes the power that is being supplied to it. I sure don’t want to damage the electronics in the new oven.
Maybe in the future, I will replace it with a pure sign wave inverter.

Thanks

Bob
Old 12-31-2019, 08:10 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I don't know how sensitive the circuit board is on a microwave, but on our prior Bounder, I could not run the washer on the generator. The power was not consistent & I fried 2 circuit boards (@ $600/ea to replace) before I figured out what caused it. The term is "dirty power" & that washer's circuit board didn't like it.

I also would not be keen on having something cooking in the microwave even IF the generator power was clean enough for it. A heavy dish could move as the RV sways or makes turns & knock the door open. Then you've got a mess & probably a chipped counter & floor tile.

If you're wanting to have a hot meal ready for you after a day of travel, do an InstaPot or CrockPot meal by placing the vessel on a towel in the kitchen sink. Those appliances don't seem to mind generator power fluctuations. I've done it several times, from pot roast to ribs to chili.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:35 PM   #8

Thanks, Lori,
I have been looking at them recently. What brand and quart size do you have ?

Bob
Old 12-31-2019, 11:11 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I've got the same 3.5 quart burnt orange colored CrockPot that was my mom's. I set a folded towel in the bottom of the sink, the pot on top & wrap another towel around it. It stays put & I've got a nice hot meal after we get set up.

I have been looking at the newer version, CrockPot Express Mini, but only because I wonder just how long this 40+ year old cooker will keep going. But then, they made 'em better back then.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky bob View Post
I installed my new Sharp microwave/convection oven in my Palazzo. If I want to use it in either the convection mode or the microwave mode , can I use it while driving WITHOUT running the generator ?

I am guessing it will draw more power when using it in the convection mode.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob,
I use mine on microwave without generator running all the time for short 2 to 3 min or less warm up of food, etc. Never had a problem. Anything longer and I turn on the generator. for the convection, I haven't tried running that without the generator and I don't think it is a good idea. The reason is obvious with the high amp draw but the bigger thing is that it has to be on for so much longer than microwave and draw a lot of amp hours out of the batteries.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #11

I've run my coffee maker and microwave in short bursts on the inverter. i don't think i'd convect without the generator.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky bob View Post
Good point, mine is a modified sine wave inverter,. So I will need to have my generator running to use it to be sure my new oven likes the power that is being supplied to it. I sure don’t want to damage the electronics in the new oven.
Maybe in the future, I will replace it with a pure sign wave inverter.

Thanks

Bob
We recently upgraded our inverter from the original modified sine wave model to a pure sine wave model, because neither the combo oven or the induction cooktop were happy with the MSW. At the same time, because we have double the standard battery capacity I decided to go up from a 2000 watt MSW to a 2800 watt model. Same footprint, more output, seemed to make sense.

Since I was at the Thor Factory Service Center for other work I asked them about doing this, and their answer was basically that the wires feeding the inverter are too small and it can't be done without having the factory build a whole different special wiring harness and we don't know how much and engineering has to be consulted... etc, etc. Translation, if it's not a simple part swap we don't want to be bothered.

I drug the new inverter around all summer until I got to Carrier RV in Eugene, Oregon, a shop who has done other work for me and who does a lot of factory work for Thor. (They replaced the original double track slide on our 2014 33.2 with the triple track system, among other things.)

Carrier said "we can run a new pair of feed wires for the higher amperage draw of the larger inverter, abandoning the old pair.. no need for a whole new harness, we have done this many times". I did a quick check with Magnum to verify the correct feed wire size for the larger inverter and Carrier did the swap and upgrade in a few hours. The combo oven is happy, the induction cooktop is happy, and all the other electronics are happy.

So be aware if you swap inverters, you will need wiring changes unless you stay with a 2000 watt model.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my 2800 watt magnum will run the mcro part ok, but as far as the convection part, it also pulls 10 to 13 amps. so i would run the genny.

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:20 AM   #14

Hello appsol,

We have a 2015 33.3 How did you double your battery capacity ?
Did you change battery type, or add more batteries ?
In our coach we only have space for 4 coach batteries in the battery bay. We wouldn't have any room to add any more.

Tags
inverter