Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2015, 05:56 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 453
caulking 'wet' bay

My main compartment leaks like a sieve while traveling in the rain. What is the best caulking to use in the seam areas of the compartment? Thanks!!
__________________

__________________
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15,717
Any good exterior caulk would seal the seams. I wouldn't use a pure silicone caulk, it will peel and fail and nothing will adhere to the area the silicone was applied.
__________________

__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
MisterT's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shooting Creek, NC... for now
Posts: 2,657
My wet bay and main bay are on the quick path to failure due to the nature of how these 'boxes' were built and installed. Both are failing due to the infiltration of rain, normal leaks and spillages, and the weight of objects, including the heavy water tank. Thor gave me the choice to either replace them, or shore them up with metal L-channel underneath. I chose the later.
They build these 'wet' bay and storage bays with plywood. Of course, that is the worst item to use in areas where wetness can occur, and certainly in the 'wet' bay where you have a large sewer connection(spills and leaks happen), your main water connection, black tank flush connection, and a many water connections and a water filter(that will also certainly provide a splash of water when you decide to change it!) When water gets in these bays, its only a matter of TIME before degradation, mold growth, and deflection will occur. Why not a plastic/rubber based floor system instead?
__________________
The Turners 2014 Thor Palazzo DP 33.3 35'

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 234
How about spraying it with that stuff advertised on tv?
__________________
Ron & Susan
2014 Palazzo 36.1
2013 Subaru Outback
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK IV View Post
How about spraying it with that stuff advertised on tv?
The only thing going for that stuff is, "As seen on TV". If the box of the compartment is in need of all over weather-proofing, I'd suggest the spray bed liner sold for pick up trucks. Spray the outside and inside, then caulk around all penetrating holes like drains and wires.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
My wet bay and main bay are on the quick path to failure due to the nature of how these 'boxes' were built and installed. Both are failing due to the infiltration of rain, normal leaks and spillages, and the weight of objects, including the heavy water tank. Thor gave me the choice to either replace them, or shore them up with metal L-channel underneath. I chose the later.
They build these 'wet' bay and storage bays with plywood. Of course, that is the worst item to use in areas where wetness can occur, and certainly in the 'wet' bay where you have a large sewer connection(spills and leaks happen), your main water connection, black tank flush connection, and a many water connections and a water filter(that will also certainly provide a splash of water when you decide to change it!) When water gets in these bays, its only a matter of TIME before degradation, mold growth, and deflection will occur. Why not a plastic/rubber based floor system instead?
Mister T, I probably mislead some in saying 'wet' bay, when it actually is the main compartment bay that was leaking bad. All the water in it is why I called it my 'wet' bay. You are so right on the design of these storage and wet bay areas, they should have done a much better job so there would be NO water infiltration what so ever. IMO a motorhome should not leak in or around it's compartments. Just sayin......BTW I did caulk the main bay today. Hope it works.
__________________
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
brobox's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 14,622
On my previous MH I had that problem. I used builders foam and foamed all of the seams on the bottom of the coach where the bays sat in the angle iron. Worked like a champ. $2.00 a can at Walmart, do use the low expansion foam. Took 2 cans to do all of the compartments. Sprayed it with black spray paint when dry, it looked factory.
__________________
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NE FL
Posts: 66
I was rembering this thread yesterday as I drove thru a really heavy rainstorm north of Jax FLAs expected I had about an inch of water int he main bay, others were OK. Last time the front pax bay was wer too!
I will try brobox treatment to see how that works! But, it will be awhile before I ever see a test like yesterday!!
__________________
Bob & BJ
On the way to ournextstop
2013 Palazzo 33.1
bobsea43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsea43 View Post
I was rembering this thread yesterday as I drove thru a really heavy rainstorm north of Jax FLAs expected I had about an inch of water int he main bay, others were OK. Last time the front pax bay was wer too!
I will try brobox treatment to see how that works! But, it will be awhile before I ever see a test like yesterday!!
Good luck with that Bob. I plan to use the brobox method also, if I can get
myself under it to do it.
__________________
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 52
brobox ?

Hi All,
I only had water in the large bay once and I think it was due to water getting in a door, but not sure. So what is brobox ? I am lost on this one LOL help

Thanks Bernie
__________________
bernie2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
jones47172's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie2014 View Post
Hi All,
I only had water in the large bay once and I think it was due to water getting in a door, but not sure. So what is brobox ? I am lost on this one LOL help

Thanks Bernie
Check out Brobox's post on 11-04-2015, 05:38 PM
__________________

__________________
Mike & Sue Jones
Venetian A40, formally Palazzo 35.1
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing wet bay floor. mbishop10 Newmar Owner's Forum 23 06-11-2015 04:12 AM
How does the factory install 12v Water reel in Wet bay Sidewinder4 Newmar Owner's Forum 4 02-27-2015 05:35 PM
Floor rotted out in water bay Blevin Travel Supreme Owner's Forum 20 06-25-2014 10:51 AM
Bay lights stay on TXduo Monaco Owner's Forum 8 02-06-2014 02:43 AM
plumbing diagram for wet bay 2000 DSDP dwmcg Newmar Owner's Forum 7 06-01-2013 02:28 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.