Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:56 AM   #1

caulking 'wet' bay

My main compartment leaks like a sieve while traveling in the rain. What is the best caulking to use in the seam areas of the compartment? Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Any good exterior caulk would seal the seams. I wouldn't use a pure silicone caulk, it will peel and fail and nothing will adhere to the area the silicone was applied.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #3

My wet bay and main bay are on the quick path to failure due to the nature of how these 'boxes' were built and installed. Both are failing due to the infiltration of rain, normal leaks and spillages, and the weight of objects, including the heavy water tank. Thor gave me the choice to either replace them, or shore them up with metal L-channel underneath. I chose the later.
They build these 'wet' bay and storage bays with plywood. Of course, that is the worst item to use in areas where wetness can occur, and certainly in the 'wet' bay where you have a large sewer connection(spills and leaks happen), your main water connection, black tank flush connection, and a many water connections and a water filter(that will also certainly provide a splash of water when you decide to change it!) When water gets in these bays, its only a matter of TIME before degradation, mold growth, and deflection will occur. Why not a plastic/rubber based floor system instead?

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #4

How about spraying it with that stuff advertised on tv?
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK IV View Post
How about spraying it with that stuff advertised on tv?
The only thing going for that stuff is, "As seen on TV". If the box of the compartment is in need of all over weather-proofing, I'd suggest the spray bed liner sold for pick up trucks. Spray the outside and inside, then caulk around all penetrating holes like drains and wires.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
My wet bay and main bay are on the quick path to failure due to the nature of how these 'boxes' were built and installed. Both are failing due to the infiltration of rain, normal leaks and spillages, and the weight of objects, including the heavy water tank. Thor gave me the choice to either replace them, or shore them up with metal L-channel underneath. I chose the later.
They build these 'wet' bay and storage bays with plywood. Of course, that is the worst item to use in areas where wetness can occur, and certainly in the 'wet' bay where you have a large sewer connection(spills and leaks happen), your main water connection, black tank flush connection, and a many water connections and a water filter(that will also certainly provide a splash of water when you decide to change it!) When water gets in these bays, its only a matter of TIME before degradation, mold growth, and deflection will occur. Why not a plastic/rubber based floor system instead?
Mister T, I probably mislead some in saying 'wet' bay, when it actually is the main compartment bay that was leaking bad. All the water in it is why I called it my 'wet' bay. You are so right on the design of these storage and wet bay areas, they should have done a much better job so there would be NO water infiltration what so ever. IMO a motorhome should not leak in or around it's compartments. Just sayin......BTW I did caulk the main bay today. Hope it works.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
On my previous MH I had that problem. I used builders foam and foamed all of the seams on the bottom of the coach where the bays sat in the angle iron. Worked like a champ. $2.00 a can at Walmart, do use the low expansion foam. Took 2 cans to do all of the compartments. Sprayed it with black spray paint when dry, it looked factory.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #8

I was rembering this thread yesterday as I drove thru a really heavy rainstorm north of Jax FLAs expected I had about an inch of water int he main bay, others were OK. Last time the front pax bay was wer too!
I will try brobox treatment to see how that works! But, it will be awhile before I ever see a test like yesterday!!
bobsea43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsea43 View Post
I was rembering this thread yesterday as I drove thru a really heavy rainstorm north of Jax FLAs expected I had about an inch of water int he main bay, others were OK. Last time the front pax bay was wer too!
I will try brobox treatment to see how that works! But, it will be awhile before I ever see a test like yesterday!!
Good luck with that Bob. I plan to use the brobox method also, if I can get
myself under it to do it.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #10

brobox ?

Hi All,
I only had water in the large bay once and I think it was due to water getting in a door, but not sure. So what is brobox ? I am lost on this one LOL help

Thanks Bernie
Old 11-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie2014 View Post
Hi All,
I only had water in the large bay once and I think it was due to water getting in a door, but not sure. So what is brobox ? I am lost on this one LOL help

Thanks Bernie
Check out Brobox's post on 11-04-2015, 05:38 PM

jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote