Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Cockpit panel going blank

I was coming back from a nice three days in Bryce Canyon yesterday. The trip from SLC to Bryce went without a problem, the stay was great except for the usual anxiety when extending and retracting the slides, and the trip back was going also very well when all of a sudden, everything went berserk. I was on cruise control at 65 mph and suddenly the cruise control got disconnected, the engine decelerated like it wanted to stop, and all dials went down to zero. The whole thing lasted no more than 3-5 seconds, then everything went back to normal. Of course, anxiety set in, as I was expecting the malfunction to repeat itself, and may be to stay there for good. It never came back and I finished the trip without further problems. I seem to remember in some of the threads a few months ago that somebody experienced the same thing. I would love to know what their experience was after that time, whether the cause was ever found, and whether other people had the same experience and may be did not write it in this forum. Any ideas? Thanks.

Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #2

That's scary. It sounds like an ignition problem. Take a look at all the connections behind the ignition switch cylinder. You could have a loose connection or it could be a problem with the cylinder itself.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Others, including myself have experienced the same thing. Probably a loose connection to the dash display or a ground problem. Tough to diagnose and track down these intermittent adrenalin raising incidents.
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #4

Yep been there got that T-shirt too-- have no clue what it was. I was in SD when it happen to me. I took it to Freightliner when I got home 1500 mile later--they found nothing?? Hasn't happen again That was probably 10,000 mile ago??

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #5

It's amazing to me there have been repeated episodes of this problem by several different owners and no one has forced the issue to Freightliner and/or Thor to find a cause. You do know that all those connectors are disconnected an reconnected in different places by the time Thor gets finished building the house on the chassis. Someone needs to own up to this problem and find a solution.

This is a potentially dangerous issue. What will it take? Someone to get hurt or worse for even the NTSB to get involved? Come on! Really???? Pfffft!!!! For those of you this has happened to, I'd be all over a lawyer, Both Thor and Freightliner and God knows anyone else who has a stake in this whole Palazzo thing. God forbid it happens to us when I am carrying my family in this ticking time bomb!

This has prompted me to get a black box device to record my Palazzo Travels. If this ever happens to us, it will be recorded and I will press the issue!
Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
Others, including myself have experienced the same thing. Probably a loose connection to the dash display or a ground problem. Tough to diagnose and track down these intermittent adrenalin raising incidents.
I would think it's something more than a loose connection to the dash since it's killing the engine. From what was described it sounds like it could be reproduced if you physically turn the ignition key to the off position and then back on. That's where I would start.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the advice. Would you please tell me where is the ignition switch cylinder ?
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
I would think it's something more than a loose connection to the dash since it's killing the engine. From what was described it sounds like it could be reproduced if you physically turn the ignition key to the off position and then back on. That's where I would start.

In both instances that have happened to me, the engine stayed on and it was just the display. If the engine also died, that is a different "can of worms".
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
Thanks for the advice. Would you please tell me where is the ignition switch cylinder ?
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee

I think he is talking right where were we insert the key and turn the "switch" to accessory then to start "ignition". Just behind the dash is the switch cylinder and where the wires come off of it. Usually in this day and age the wires from here go off to relays to do the switching "heavy lifting" is you will of the higher current loads required for engine starter, engine accessories to run, etc.

Interestingly enough, I have installed remote starters in several different Ford Diesel pickup and several different cars. The concept is all the same. I have had to deal with all the newer computer systems on board the newer diesels for delayed start due to glow plugs, PATS, Passive Anti Theft system and key fobs with a built in chip. In comparison the Freightliner/Cummins in the Palazzo has none of the Theft deterrent systems like most late model automobiles. I imagine if I was to get under the dash and take a real good look it would probably be just as easy to install a remote starter or just "hot wire it".
Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #10

Same here -- my motor stayed running--just the display went out

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #11

I'm speaking in very general terms here. I do not know your coach or have ever worked on diesel engines. However, that part should be pretty common throughout all vehicles. Well, unless is something like DWs Jeep where you don't need to insert the key anywhere...you just push a button.

On yours, if you have a conventional key then it goes into the ignition cylinder. It will have a bunch of wires on the back end of it. Again, this is the conventional way and not sure about your particular coach. You can try to reach the back end to see if anything is loose or out of the ordinary. Now, troubleshooting an intermittent cylinder is pretty hard. The best way is to swap out the cylinder to see if the problem goes away. I hate swaptronics, but sometimes there is nothing you can do. I guess you could also turn the engine on and quickly move the key in/out, side to side, etc. without physically moving the key to the off position.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #12

Ive never had this issue, but I use the ignition key by itself... I dont attach other keys (or heavy key chains) as it weighs down the ignition cylinders and may cause failure... (call me paranoid)...
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #13

I've posted this before but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to post it again. Happened to me too. The first time I ever used cruise control and during that time, when everything flashed back on, the cruise control reengaged. Then it happened two more times. I called Freightliner about the problem and they said they would look at it but I never made an appointment because they told me how much it would cost just to look at it and that it may not be covered under warranty.

I've never had luck with any mechanic fixing an intermittent problem so I waited to see if it would happen again. It did, I was ready this time with the phone to record it, got it recorded and waited for it flash back on. It never did. Then I noticed that the gauges weren't at 0 they were at the same thing as when the cruise control just stopped functioning. I was sitting still but it was showing me going 65.

Stayed like that until I got it to Freightliner. They said the module was unplugged. They plugged it back in, $130 (covered under warranty).

Haven't had a problem since. Of course I must note that I haven't used my RV since (except to drive it back and forth to the shop). Freightliner backed it into a halfway closed garage door bay and busted up my ladder. I was already waiting for slide repair parts already, now I'm waiting for a ladder too. We were staying in it but the intake valve and the water pump went out too.

Nevermind all that though, I just realized that every time that this happened to me I was using cruise control. Is that the case with everybody else too?
Riover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riover View Post
I've posted this before but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to post it again. Happened to me too. The first time I ever used cruise control and during that time, when everything flashed back on, the cruise control reengaged. Then it happened two more times. I called Freightliner about the problem and they said they would look at it but I never made an appointment because they told me how much it would cost just to look at it and that it may not be covered under warranty.

I've never had luck with any mechanic fixing an intermittent problem so I waited to see if it would happen again. It did, I was ready this time with the phone to record it, got it recorded and waited for it flash back on. It never did. Then I noticed that the gauges weren't at 0 they were at the same thing as when the cruise control just stopped functioning. I was sitting still but it was showing me going 65.

Stayed like that until I got it to Freightliner. They said the module was unplugged. They plugged it back in, $130 (covered under warranty).

Haven't had a problem since. Of course I must note that I haven't used my RV since (except to drive it back and forth to the shop). Freightliner backed it into a halfway closed garage door bay and busted up my ladder. I was already waiting for slide repair parts already, now I'm waiting for a ladder too. We were staying in it but the intake valve and the water pump went out too.

Nevermind all that though, I just realized that every time that this happened to me I was using cruise control. Is that the case with everybody else too?
The charge to plug the module back in was 130 bones?

Tags
panel