Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #1

Collision repair ?

Not sure where to post this question, and I am a little reluctant to ask it, but here goes. Does anyone know if Thor does any fiberglass repairs to collision damaged front caps? I have a new 2016 palazzo that has the lower front cap damaged below the hinged center piece and also the p/s below the head lights and fog lights ( neither of which are damaged). I just received a an estimate of 20K from dealer collision center to fix it. I realize there is three color of paint plus a gel coat sealer takes time along with the fiberglass fabrication, BUT the labor hrs and charge seems excessive. I feel like the whole front cap could be replaced and painted in 1/4 of the time they estimated for repairing (78 hrs for fiberglass repair plus 25 more for painting) I am CLUELESS on this! I was hoping not to file an insurance claim after less the 2 weeks of coverage, plus the embarrassment of being the nut behind the wheel ( newbie to class A 2.5 mph did notice the lack of ground clearance in front of me too busy trying not to hit the tree limbs above me)
Plan to call CS at Thor tomorrow , but after reading so many complaints not sur what to expect in the way of help, certainly not their issue. Any suggestions

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Had Thor service take care of self inflicted damage to right rear. One paint color. As I recall it was about $1700.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
What does your RV insurance say? That might recommend someone?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

Someone in the THOR Diesel Club hit a deer and had it fixed at the factory. Maybe one of the folks on this forum has a better memory than me. I looked thru the forum but could not find it. Maybe it is on the TDC forum.
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jack Arnold had his repaired t Thor but I don't know if they repaired the front cap or replaced it.
gmadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
Jack Arnold had his repaired t Thor but I don't know if they repaired the front cap or replaced it.

Replaced the front cap.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #7

Just before I purchased my coach the Selling dealer removed the 3M film as there was mold behind it. Removing the film caused a few scratches and other damage to the paint. A few months later I got Newmar to repaint the front (3 colors) and re-install a new 3M film and the cost was about $5500 including the $1600 for new film. This was done during their slow season winter rates (about 30% off). I agree $20K sounds excessive. Hope this helps!
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #8

Well, maybe contacting Thor might be a good approach. May have to file an insurance claim but if it cost that much and there is that much damage to the front cap, can't help but believe I would be better off to have it replaced with a new one and a factory paint job? Would love to know what yall think about the cost, My son chrunched more sheet metal on my neighbors Lexus and it wasn't even half that much!
Old 11-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanukalum View Post
Well, maybe contacting Thor might be a good approach. May have to file an insurance claim but if it cost that much and there is that much damage to the front cap, can't help but believe I would be better off to have it replaced with a new one and a factory paint job? Would love to know what yall think about the cost, My son chrunched more sheet metal on my neighbors Lexus and it wasn't even half that much!
I am the one that hit the deer. Thor replaced my front cap, windshield, A/C condenser and fan and repaired some other small things. They did the work for $12,000 and my insurance paid the bill minus deductible.

Thor did the job to my satisfaction and completed the work 2 weeks sooner then they quoted, 4 weeks v/s 6 weeks.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I am the one that hit the deer. Thor replaced my front cap, windshield, A/C condenser and fan and repaired some other small things. They did the work for $12,000 and my insurance paid the bill minus deductible.

Thor did the job to my satisfaction and completed the work 2 weeks sooner then they quoted, 4 weeks v/s 6 weeks.
Thanks, I finished making arrangements with Thor yesterday to get it in the end of November. Sent them pictures, they said they expected to replace front cap etc, for no more than 12,000. Sounds like the going rate I could not be happier with the arrangements they have made to accommodate the situation.
Not sure I understand all the complaints posted about Thor service?? My experience has been great so far. I'll post a followup the end of DEC!
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanukalum View Post
Thanks, I finished making arrangements with Thor yesterday to get it in the end of November. Sent them pictures, they said they expected to replace front cap etc, for no more than 12,000. Sounds like the going rate I could not be happier with the arrangements they have made to accommodate the situation.
Not sure I understand all the complaints posted about Thor service?? My experience has been great so far. I'll post a followup the end of DEC!
My Tuscany is my 3rd Thor Class A. I have used Thor's service facility to have warranty and non-warranty work done on all three. All of my experiences have been positive with Thor service and I have spoken to many other Thor owners that have been very pleased with their experience as well.

If you follow this and other forums you will find negative people and they are also the most vocal but sadly those that are happy do not post about their happiness, they are out enjoying their RV.

I do not know if you belong to the Thor Diesel Club but being a new coach owner you get the first year free, all you need to do is fill out the application and send it in. Please visit the Thor Diesel Clubs WEB site to get the application and more information on the club, Home

Tags
repair