Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #1

Dumping air and lowering jacks.

So correct me if I'm wrong. Dump the air before lowering the jacks, which in most cases raises the Palazzo and extends the suspension and air bags. Then after raising the jacks hit the auto level to re-inflate.

Reason I ask is because yesterday I did it that way and noticed the rear bags were all crinkled up. When I raised the jacks the palazzo lowered back down. The rear air bags must have not seated properly because after airing them back up there were a couple loud bangs from the rear end when the lower part of the bags seated back into the air bag "seats". My father was watching underneath when it did this. He said the entire axle shook like crazy. Is this normal?

Is it absolutely necessary to dump the air before lowering the jacks? I have done that before and noticed on the low side the tires come off the ground.

Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #2

My procedure is to release the air in the bags, place pads under the jacks, level the coach.

When leaving, air up the suspension first, then retract the jacks and remove the pads.

This will give you minimal travel on the jacks and minimizes the chance of raising the wheels off the ground
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK IV View Post
My procedure is to release the air in the bags, place pads under the jacks, level the coach.

When leaving, air up the suspension first, then retract the jacks and remove the pads.

This will give you minimal travel on the jacks and minimizes the chance of raising the wheels off the ground

Okay, I think that's where I was doing it wrong. So, air up the bags before lowering back down? (raising the jacks). Makes sense because it seems that would allow the bags to inflate first and not get pinched between the seat and frame. I know those air bags are tough, but I don't want to take any more chances on damaging them.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

X2
Also when there is a significant slope I will put front tires on blocks so they never get raised off the ground. And never never get in a position where rear tires might get lifted as that is where your parking brakes are located.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was told by one of the techs at Thor to inflate the airbags before raising the jacks. That will minimumize the loud popping noise caused by the rubber airbags.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoblues View Post
Okay, I think that's where I was doing it wrong. So, air up the bags before lowering back down? (raising the jacks). Makes sense because it seems that would allow the bags to inflate first and not get pinched between the seat and frame. I know those air bags are tough, but I don't want to take any more chances on damaging them.
"lowering back down? (raising the jacks)." Confusing!!!

Lower the suspension first. When it is down, then put your jacks down. If you do what you have written, and one side or the other of the suspension bags leak down you will end up with the coach way out of level. Been there and had that happen.

Before getting underway, you can air the suspension up and then raise the jacks if you want to. We air the suspension up as we are disconnecting last utilities which is usually the electricity - especially on a hot day in the summer. This also gives the chassis air a chance to cool down the front portion of the coach.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
"lowering back down? (raising the jacks)." Confusing!!!

Lower the suspension first. When it is down, then put your jacks down. If you do what you have written, and one side or the other of the suspension bags leak down you will end up with the coach way out of level. Been there and had that happen.

Before getting underway, you can air the suspension up and then raise the jacks if you want to. We air the suspension up as we are disconnecting last utilities which is usually the electricity - especially on a hot day in the summer. This also gives the chassis air a chance to cool down the front portion of the coach.
Yup.. it is confusing. But I think we all have it worked out now and the proper procedure.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoblues View Post
Yup.. it is confusing. But I think we all have it worked out now and the proper procedure.
And for Pete's sake, bring the slide IN before you take it off level (and of course, level up BEFORE moving it out).
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:

TKIV: Haven't needed to deal with that issue yet. I do have some jack pads. What do you do? drop them manually, shut off the power and place the pads, or do you just try to guess where the jacks will contact the ground. I know this is something I'll need to know eventually.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #10

air down first, then go outside to put pads down (I use tempered wood that I cut down to 2x10x12 and store a pair on each sides of the basement), very easy to guess where the jacks land down since its so low from the ground.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgso View Post
TKIV: Haven't needed to deal with that issue yet. I do have some jack pads. What do you do? drop them manually, shut off the power and place the pads, or do you just try to guess where the jacks will contact the ground. I know this is something I'll need to know eventually.
My jack pads are made from 2 x 4's. Two layers... the bottom layer is 4 boards wide (about a foot and a half long) and the top layer is 3 boards wide and centered crosswise on the bottom layer and then both layers are screwed together. I have a small rope attached so that it is easy to pull them out.

When parking, I release the air in the bags, leaving the engine running, I then place each of the pads under the jacks. Then level the coach. When leaving, air the bags up, raise the jacks, then remove the pads.
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks