Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Entrance door gas-strut, what force?

The gas-strut that holds our entrance door open has become weak, I guess Saskatchewan winters are enough to deflate anything.

The original strut is: Titan #GN6-200-20-75MM. Unfortunately this doesn't correspond to the nomenclature on the Titan web site so I can't determine for sure what the nominal force of the strut is, I assume 20 or 75 lbs.

If anyone has replaced this gas strut please let me know how much force your replacement exerts. 20 lbs. seems a bit light.

Gary
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #2

We got tired of the gas strut and removed it. Installed a rubber bumper and a latch on the outside of door. Makes it so much better than fighting that strut.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

gas strut

Hi all,

look here at this link for a guide to struts and brackets....

Recreational Vehicle Parts, Recreational Vehicle Accessories, Recreational Vehicle Hardware, Recreational Vehicle Drapes, Recreational Vehicle Curtains, Recreational Vehicle Curtain

I believe my original was 10 # and I just replaced it with a 15# but have not had it out in the wind yet. For some reason I had to bend the bracket slightly to get a new strut to fit. Not sure why......
RVL14all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #4

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebs View Post
We got tired of the gas strut and removed it. Installed a rubber bumper and a latch on the outside of door. Makes it so much better than fighting that strut.
we did the same - and we dont miss that darn strut!
we can latch the door all the way open and enjoy the breeze
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for the input. We've also been thinking of a hold-open device but I'm reluctant to start drilling holes in the side of the coach. If anyone has pictures of their installation handy...

For the time being I replaced the strut at NAPA auto parts with a 20-pounder but I had to interchange the end connectors from the old strut to the new strut because they were too large on the new strut to fit under the door.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #6

Here ya go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160503_124609.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	125977  
Old 05-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #7

Install a rubber door stop to complete the mod.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #8

In case anyone is still looking at this as I just did, twenty pounds is probably about right. I bought and installed a forty pound strut from Camping World off the the shelf (it was the lowest pressure they carry) and it is way too much. Twenty would probably be about right. I have to use a strut because the location of the awning arms prevents the door from opening 180 degrees.
Bounder34B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We removed it also!! Much better!!
ferg182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #10

I did a add on modification and 10 lbs and it is just right.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #11
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
I am looking for solutions to hold open the door on the Monaco. The scissor thingy is pretty floppy and worthless.

For those that have gone to a gas strut, what is it that appeals to you?

For those that have removed the strut, what is it that irritated you about it?

thanks!
Old 09-10-2019, 05:17 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We took if off because it is a lot easier to bring everything into the coach! The door is not in the way! We latch it to coach when we are parked and it makes it easier for the grandkids to go in and out! Before having the halfway open it was just in the way all the time!
ferg182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #13

I like to use the screen a lot and the door was just swinging in the wind.While the door has stop to limit open travel there is nothing to hold it in place. I was also concerned a strong wind could cause the door to exceed the designed travel causing a catistrofic failure.

The strut solved all these problems.

Here were my concerns as I set up to install it.

I wanted the open position to be at a 90 degree angle, straight out so I had no space limitation when entering.

I did not want to make it so strong I had to push hard to close it and opening would need to be easy too as the strut expands.

I also had concerns about mounting. The structure has to be strong to handle the stress I was adding.

I had to carefully select the right type of fastener. I was concerned a sheet metal screw would be either too loose or over tightened and then over time become loose. Using a bolt and nut was an option but it might not look so good on the inside and it could mean squashing the frame to be tight. In the end I decided to use rivets and it worked very well.

Setting the mounting location was the hardest part. The strut needed to open fully and the door stop where I wanted it to. Then when closed it could not run out of travel. I used blue tape to make marks. I mounted the strut extended to set the final position of the open door. making sure when compressed the door was closed.

I used a 20" 10 lb model which works great. I hardly notice any extra effort and the door stays nicely in place even with some wind.

See my picture in my prior post.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #14

Hi gpounder,

Would you please post a picture of the strut installed ?

Thanks,

Bob
ky bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, gas