RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:56 AM   #1

Front Cap Separation?

Morning!

I realize that many of our nation's highways are in rather poor condition, which creates challenges trying to dodge potholes, bridge connections, and expansion joints - jarring many parts loose. When driving back from Atlanta to Omaha a few weeks ago, I noticed that my front cap is slightly separated from the coach; and there appears to be a broken fastener (see photo).

Is this something I need to be too concerned with, since I depart on a 3,000-mile trip in a few weeks? Anyone had an opportunity to fix this themselves?

As always, thanks for any help you all can provide.
Attached Images

coeranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coeranch View Post
Morning!

I realize that many of our nation's highways are in rather poor condition, which creates challenges trying to dodge potholes, bridge connections, and expansion joints - jarring many parts loose. When driving back from Atlanta to Omaha a few weeks ago, I noticed that my front cap is slightly separated from the coach; and there appears to be a broken fastener (see photo).

Is this something I need to be too concerned with, since I depart on a 3,000-mile trip in a few weeks? Anyone had an opportunity to fix this themselves?

As always, thanks for any help you all can provide.
I had the same problem. I think it was caused by my dealer driving it through a small dip and hitting the front cap. There are scrapes under the cap like it had hit asphalt on the bottom edge. I also note the screws were loose in the joint you pictured as well as on the metal bracket on the very front bottom of the cap (under the hood). I tightened things up and no problems in many thousands of miles.

iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #3

Been There, Done That!

Iluvuk -

Thanks for your response!

Trust me - I've scraped the bottom a few times as well! And, I've put new screws in those two base plates on the bottom before as well. So don't know if I need to peel back that joining strip and try to re-attach the cap screw (it is indeed broken); or, as long as those two base plates are tight, not worry about it...

BTW: Do you enjoy any particular area of the UK, or are you originally from there? I usually make an annual visit to Exeter, County Devon - I certainly love that area!
coeranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coeranch View Post
Iluvuk -

Thanks for your response!

Trust me - I've scraped the bottom a few times as well! And, I've put new screws in those two base plates on the bottom before as well. So don't know if I need to peel back that joining strip and try to re-attach the cap screw (it is indeed broken); or, as long as those two base plates are tight, not worry about it...

BTW: Do you enjoy any particular area of the UK, or are you originally from there? I usually make an annual visit to Exeter, County Devon - I certainly love that area!
Well, the joining strip on mine had pulled out and a couple of screws were broken. I carefully took out the rubber seal and put in new screws. It is about 95% back in place but not 100%.
I am a bit partial to Wales myself. I studied at Cardiff. But I also am a University of Kentucky alum so it has a double meaning.
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #5

Ive had problems with both the front and rear caps on my 36.3. Screws on the brackets holding the bottom of both caps rusted out and I replaced them with stainless steel screws. A number of the screws attaching the sides of the rear cap were sheared off due to over tightening at the factory and I had to use new self-tapping screws. Then I had to re-attach the molding strips with silicone caulk. These areas will need regular inspection.
gmalmberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front cap