Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Front night shade stuck in down position!

As usual, something always fails every time we take our coach out. This time, it's the front shade. Packing up to leave and realized it won't roll up. Everything else on the dash works, except for the shade. I tried to move the roller, but it doesn't budge.

Does anyone know how to roll it up or remove it so we can get back on the road?
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #2

yes, hand roll the shade and rest it in the fans - turn the fans toward the street.
Ours did this, tried to 'fix' or 'reprogram' it, but it had to be replaced - motor no longer worked properly.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #3

shade troubleshooting

You may want to review the attached MCD guide that contains troubleshooting tips. Had similar problems when all power was lost/disconnected. Hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shades AmDuoManual(blackwheeels).pdf (525.2 KB, 405 views)
Old 10-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Well, tried rolling it up manually but that didn't work. The roller is in a locked position. So I started to take everything down in the hope that I could find the motor. Well, I'm here to tell you that the motor is no where near either end of the shade. I know this because I took down the shade and all the panels in the front down to the metal frame of the vehicle. If there's a motor, it's no where near the actual shade, left or right side! Also, this shade is not made by MCD.

Here's a link to some pics. No clue where that motor is hiding!

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Old 10-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #5

Front shade motor inside roller shade tube.
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
Well, tried rolling it up manually but that didn't work. The roller is in a locked position. So I started to take everything down in the hope that I could find the motor. Well, I'm here to tell you that the motor is no where near either end of the shade. I know this because I took down the shade and all the panels in the front down to the metal frame of the vehicle. If there's a motor, it's no where near the actual shade, left or right side! Also, this shade is not made by MCD.

Here's a link to some pics. No clue where that motor is hiding!

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
like mine it's probably a United Shade, with a different 'programming' effort involved. When I mentioned to 'hand roll' it up, what I meant was to physically role it in your hands from the bottom of the shade to a high enough place for that roll to sit within the fans. this will allow you to ride easily with it in place, and manually 'let it down' when needed. I did this for many weeks until I got into Elkhart/Wakarusa for the replacement. The motor is actually in one end of the shade roll, though I did not physically take it down to see this.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #7

Smile

Hi Gingerela,
Yes, motor is in the shade. The shade is made by United Shade in Elkhart, IN.
Go to UnitedShade | The Dicor Corporation | Official Website and view the video which explains the adjustment using the learning wire.

Good luck.
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Well, thanks to RKNOLA who texted me to tell me the motor was inside the roller. Good thing because at that very second, I was getting ready to cut the wires! I couldn't believe it! Had the text come in a second later, it would have been too late. Unfortunately, I'd already taken down much of the front ceiling panels by then thinking the motor was to the left or right of the shade.

Those front panels screw into a fiberglass section which is fastened to the frame. It was next to impossible to put back into the same exact spot. I ended up leaving them off. I'll have to ask Thor to put them back into place.

I am headed to Elkhart tomorrow and hope they'll be able to replace the shade motor for me. This was one of three things that broke this weekend on our three day camping adventure close to home.

Hopefully, I'll make it to Elkhart by Tuesday morning in one piece without any more incidents. With any luck, it'll be a cloudy day.