Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #1

Full wall slide motor

Has anybody had issues with the rear slide motor pulling out? Ours has done it twice in less than three months. I'm wondering if it is because of the washer spinning causing vibration. The first time, the screw was stripped. We couldn't get our slide in this morning, to leave TN for FL. Had to just leave it and will try to fix when we head back up next week.

Just wondering if this is something we will have to continuously fix?
vmyoung61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #2

I've replaced all of my slide motor "motor retention screws". This screw simply goes thru the side of the coach wall and into the gap at the top of the motor to prevent it from lifting up and disengaging the gear drive. I put in a slightly larger screw with a Phillips head and check them every year as part of my annual maintenance. I had one come out (stripped) and the motor popped up and the slide would not operate. Easy fix and easy PM
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #3

Safetysteve5 - That is exactly what happened. The screw stripped out of the motor. It was replaced with a larger screw and, less than three months later, it did it again. This time, the screw was not stripped thru the wall, it just came out of the motor. We were able to get it back in, but don't understand why it happened so soon after the first repair.

It is an easy fix - except for the limited workspace. The biggest problem was that the whole shaft shifted up and the motor wouldn't seat back down far enough for the pins on the bottom of the motor to go back in the holes. This is what has happened both times. it appears that the shaft moves up, pushing the motor up off the set screw, dislodging the pins on the bottom of the motor and off it comes.

It was near impossible to knock the shaft back down so the motor could be reinstalled. Since this happened with the slide fully extended, we couldn't access the motor from the inside. This prevented us from actually taking the motor out, which would have given us a little more room to work.

When it happened to you, did the shaft shift up or were you able to simply re-seat the motor and install the set screw? We can't figure out what is causing the shaft to move up.
vmyoung61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #4

Full Wall Slide Motor

When my motor popped up it was just the motor, not the shaft. I'm not sure what mechanism is used to secure the shaft but it seems that is what needs to be addressed in your case. Might try removing the motor then accessing the shaft where you can and see if you can move it up and down. Then see if you can tell what is supposed to prevent up & down movement. Might be a pin thru a gear that has sheared but this is just a guess
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide