Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #1

Furnace while boondocking

Wondering how long the furnace will operate on the house batteries while not plugged into shore power. Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #2

Too many variables for a definite answer. Heat loss of the RV, outside ambient, what you set your thermostat at etc.

Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1951 View Post
Too many variables for a definite answer. Heat loss of the RV, outside ambient, what you set your thermostat at etc.
are we looking at hours or days?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #4

In addition to Indy's variables, it depends on how many batteries you have, and what size they are. In cool weather, a single battery may not last through the night.

You might consider adding a ventless heater that doesn't need electricity. Take a look at the Olympian Wave series by Camco.

Joel
J Birder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
In addition to Indy's variables, it depends on how many batteries you have, and what size they are. In cool weather, a single battery may not last through the night.

You might consider adding a ventless heater that doesn't need electricity. Take a look at the Olympian Wave series by Camco.

Joel
I have the (4) 6 volt golf cart batteries. Thanks for info on heater.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I would be hesitant using a ventless heater. It uses oxygen from the interior for combustion and you need sufficient air infiltration to make up for that loss. Secondly, the combustion process produces heat, carbon dioxide, and water vapor. You will end up with a warm wet coach. You could also end up producing carbon monoxide. Money might be better spent on solar to charge the batteries.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Furnace while boondocking

We use a Big Buddy gas heater, used typically in the evening and morning. No fan so no electric usage. Multiple threads here discussing pro/cons and safety of such heaters.

The fan in the furnace is the electricity consumer. So how much it needs to run is the big variable, along with what battery capacity you have to support it.

We have two furnaces, one in the bedroom and another for the front living area. This allows to run just the one in the bedroom when sleeping at night.

With four 6 volt batteries, going to bed with still a good charge amount, the furnace will readily run through the night.

The best thing we have that saves on the need for furnace operation is a good down comforter on the bed. Amazing how warm it keeps.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #8

I think you are getting the gist of the story is you should be able to go overnight with good batteries. The pattern of running the generator in the evening during meal prep and peak usage then topping off in the morning again during meal prep and morning cleanup lets you hit the rest of the day in good shape.

You also want to do what you can to minimize heat loss as that saves both propane and extends battery capacity. Vent pillows made a big difference for us. So did a fleece curtain to the floor to cut off the cab and some reflectix slipped between the glass and shade in windows with the shade normally down. Even insulated multi pane glass is a poor insulator compared to the walls.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My wife and I just got back from a leaf peeping tour up in Vermont. We left on Wednesday and came back on Saturday. The nighttime lows where in the 30's. We stayed in Walmart parking lots and use the furnace without any issues. When we woke in the morning we would run the genny to make coffee and recharge the batteries and all was good. We didn't need to use the the genny to recharge because there was plenty left in the batteries in the morning. As long as you have fuel and propane in your tanks you'll be all-set.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #10

Glad to know I am not the only one that has had a problem. My rear furnace was somewhat of a joke. Here is how I solved the problem. While installing new 15000 btu a/c units I found the furnace wires Red w/ white tracer and Violet with white tracer. I disconnected these from the system and located them at the rear furnace and installed a plain ole thermostat that we have used for years on the rear wall.(Atwood 32300) Works great. Now I can close the bedroom door and stay comfortable without heating the whole coach. Hope this helps , John

Tags
ace, boondocking, furnace