Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetysteve5 View Post
UPDATE - my portable surge protector died right after this install. I was worried I had done something wrong but everything checked OK so just a coincident. Took this opportunity to upgrade to a Progressive Industries hard wire unit (EMS-HW50C). I mounted this unit in the electrical "box" under the bed right before the automatic transfer switch. Now I have more room in the DEF bay where the wire is coiled and the EMS unit is in a cleaner environment. Very happy with the install and the EMS unit is working fine. Nice to be able to see current being drawn, etc. on the remote display.
Great Job!!
About 8 mos ago I also wired the same Hardwire surge protector under the bed and am pleased with the security it gives to you and being out of site to maybe a pedestal theft. The other day I thought I would do one of the things on my yearly (at least) list and to check all my main lugs and even the grounds and so forth. I think these things have a tendency to loosen over a period of time. Of course most were OK but a couple of them were just a bit on the loose side. Have heard of them getting loose and arcing making for smoke or melt down of area, or even worse a possible fire

Caution!!!! UNPLUG RV from power source before the tightening process
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
Great Job!!
About 8 mos ago I also wired the same Hardwire surge protector under the bed and am pleased with the security it gives to you and being out of site to maybe a pedestal theft. The other day I thought I would do one of the things on my yearly (at least) list and to check all my main lugs and even the grounds and so forth. I think these things have a tendency to loosen over a period of time. Of course most were OK but a couple of them were just a bit on the loose side. Have heard of them getting loose and arcing making for smoke or melt down of area, or even worse a possible fire

Caution!!!! UNPLUG RV from power source before the tightening process
Thats good advice... note to self.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:49 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
I have a 33.1 and installed a powered cable reel in the battery bay. This required a custom mounting bracket be made constructed from angle iron to support the reel. The cable was then routed to the area under the sink. I used a plastic junction box and connectors found at Home Depot. The reel was purchased from RVUpgrades.com. It's also is available at Amazon. Using the junction box allows the existing external plug to remain connected as an optional electrical hock-up.
Attached Images

jwshawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:22 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwshawaii View Post
I have a 33.1 and installed a powered cable reel in the battery bay. This required a custom mounting bracket be made constructed from angle iron to support the reel. The cable was then routed to the area under the sink. I used a plastic junction box and connectors found at Home Depot. The reel was purchased from RVUpgrades.com. It's also is available at Amazon. Using the junction box allows the existing external plug to remain connected as an optional electrical hock-up.
Just wondering, you have an electric motor driven device sitting just above hydrogen spewing batteries, is that safe?
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:35 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Interesting install. What year is your coach? On my 2014 35.1 my chassis batteries are above the coach batteries in the battery bay, where you installed the cable reel.
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #20

Quote:
... Using the junction box allows the existing external plug to remain connected as an optional electrical hock-up.
That means that male contact pins in the original receptacle are energized when your new cord is plugged into the power outlet - too risky in my view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06643.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	138438  
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
That's why theirs a cover. It's a 2013 model. The motor is only used with the door open so it has more ventilation then under the hood on an older model car.
jwshawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:52 PM   #22

And kids open covers. Live contacts never good.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
and greater chances of causing fires... agree, this is a bad idea
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
The NEC frowns on it too. Kids are inquisitive, as are some adults. The difference, most adults have developed that part of the brain called "reasoning" kids/children not-yet.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:54 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
Yea, I hope copper prices don't get back to where they were a couple years back. Wouldn't take much to snatch one of those jewels....

the 90 degree adapter sounds like a keeper...
I have been a victim of power cable theft on my big boat and the marina suggested That I use the long throat lock to one of my cleats to prevent this.

So with the cost of the portable surge suppressor and the cable itself, I use a security cable to wrap tight either around the power pole or an adjacent securing point. The long throat lock hooks all three together. This will prevent them from walking away with things,as long as thief doesn't carry bolt cutters. But this should slow them down at least.

I have replaced the male end with a new camco replacement plug [$14.00 Home Depot on-line] when the original one started to have the wire casing/wrap separated from plug.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	padlock surge protector.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	138630  
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:16 PM   #26

He could always use a large rubber plug to cover male prongs in case someone opens the old cover to reach in. Looks a heck of a lot better than some of the others posted. As for the off gassing of the batteries, the off gas must be heavier than air since they vent from below like with propane.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:23 PM   #27

I have two power inlets on my trailer, one in the back and one in the front. I have a transfer switch between them so that only one is live at a time.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #28

The gas in the "off gassing of batteries" is hydrogen.

Anyone heard of the Hindenburg?
2ndramtd is offline   Reply With Quote