Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #1

Lightbulb Hardwire your 50a cord?...

Has anyone had the idea to 'hardwire' your 50a service cord to the coach?

My previous class A gasser had the built-in 50a service cord, with only the MALE end to connect to the rv site. I've thought about why the Palazzo platforms do not have this, and realize that there must be a chassis difference that does not allow Thor to 'hardwire' it into the coach, or allow for a permanent plug-in with the rear bay. The rear bay being open to the elements, and housing the DEF tank, may be why, though there are certainly many other electrical connections on these coaches that are under the coach and subject to the elements.

My idea is to find a way to tap into the 50a main line, which looks to enter from within the (33.3) rear bedside table, exits thru and under the coach below it, and runs across and up into the bed frame, where the transfer switch is located(?) -at least from what I can see from under the 50a exterior connection plug location. I may have to remove the rear bedside table top and the incoming engine air vent to see for sure.

This change would allow me to only have to deal with one end connection, with no external connection on the coach, and probably make storing the service cable easier as well. hmmmmm... another 'Christmas' time project
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

Having had both styles, I prefer the detachable 50 amp cord. Wrestling a 50 amp cord through an access hole is quite a challenge. Coiling up a 50 amp cord on the ground is still a challenge but easier than snaking through an access hole.

One thing we found with the detachable connector was adding a 90 degree adapter to the RV end of the cable. This allows the cable to hang straight down instead of the curved stress when the cable attaches straight out from the RV.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Having had both styles, I prefer the detachable 50 amp cord. Wrestling a 50 amp cord through an access hole is quite a challenge. Coiling up a 50 amp cord on the ground is still a challenge but easier than snaking through an access hole.

One thing we found with the detachable connector was adding a 90 degree adapter to the RV end of the cable. This allows the cable to hang straight down instead of the curved stress when the cable attaches straight out from the RV.
Were did you get the 90 degree adapter if you don't mind?
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #4

Camco
Marinco
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Thanks! Just ordered one.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #6

Since I roll my 50a cable around the def tank, I hardly ever have the cable laying on the ground, and it's easy to coil back in when leaving. Since I also installed a 'floor' in the def bay with wire shelving, and when on longer stays, I also run both end of the cable thru a cable hole in this 'floor' so that the def bay door is not needed to be kept open. All my sewer hoses also are stored here.
What I found today about the 50a service entrance is encouraging: the 'Marinco' connection enters thru the coach wall, under the air inlet, within the (33.3) bedside table.(photo)
The wiring is then run, within a sleeve, thru the floor, under the coach, to thru the Def Bay(!), and back up into the bed frame to the switch box. Since it runs thru the def bay, it makes sense to me that this is a perfect place to 'hardwire' the 50a service cable to the existing coach wiring. And, since the origination point for the servive cable would then be from the def bay, it would work perfectly with my existing cable storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	113988  
Old 12-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #7

When I noticed Thor had switched to a plug on both ends all I thought of was it would be easier to steal or leave behind....
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
When I noticed Thor had switched to a plug on both ends all I thought of was it would be easier to steal or leave behind....
Yea, I hope copper prices don't get back to where they were a couple years back. Wouldn't take much to snatch one of those jewels....

the 90 degree adapter sounds like a keeper...
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #9

Smile

Completed...!

a little easier than i had even imagined, especially since the main cable behind the Marinco connector is actually already routed under the coach.
-disassembled the Marinco coach connector
-pulled the wire and sleeve out enough to remove the rear of the connector to unattach the main wires
-pulled the main cable and sleeve out from the def bay
-attched the Marinco main connector, without the coach mount door, back to the wiring
-reattached the mount door back onto the coach to cover the old 'hole'
-attached the 'new' coach end to the 50a service cable
-coiled the unused cable around the def tank
(i also foamed the old hole interior, the exit hole from under the bedside table)

done.. no more big Yellow exterior connector needed!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a old connector.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	114060   Click image for larger version

Name:	a new connection.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	963.1 KB
ID:	114061  

Name:	a in the def bay.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	114062   Click image for larger version

Name:	a coil in def bay.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	114063  

Name:	a no more exterior connector needed.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	114064  
Old 12-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #10

Cool idea
Millennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:38 AM   #11

update: this has worked very well - no more handling both ends of the 50a cable - just pull out enough to reach the pedestal and your done - nice. One of the best mods I've tackled so far!
Old 05-24-2016, 08:44 AM   #12

Just Completed This Mod

I did this mod and am really happy with the results. I couldn't easily remove the original side twist lock connector due to all the foam, etc. that had been applied trying to seal up the bedside table. So I just disconnected the original wires from the automatic transfer switch and ran new wires to the DEF bay. I also installed my "portable" surge protector in the DEF bay and put a male plug on the end of the new wires and a female 50amp surface mount outlet on the end of the shore power cord (yes I cut off the twist lock connector). Plugged everything together and mounted it all to the walls of the DEF bay. I also enclosed the bottom & rear of the bay to help keep this area a little cleaner (also have mud flaps right behind the rear wheels). I also installed a mouse hole in the new bottom to pass the cord thru.
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #13

sweet! I have NOT regretted this mod, it's really easy and no more struggling with a heavy cord!
Old 06-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #14

UPDATE - my portable surge protector died right after this install. I was worried I had done something wrong but everything checked OK so just a coincident. Took this opportunity to upgrade to a Progressive Industries hard wire unit (EMS-HW50C). I mounted this unit in the electrical "box" under the bed right before the automatic transfer switch. Now I have more room in the DEF bay where the wire is coiled and the EMS unit is in a cleaner environment. Very happy with the install and the EMS unit is working fine. Nice to be able to see current being drawn, etc. on the remote display.
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote