Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:08 PM   #1

Has anyone had the front night shade stop working?

We got ours down almost all the way and now it will not move either up or down.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRoadking View Post
We got ours down almost all the way and now it will not move either up or down.

Need some more details. The shade in my Excursion has a programming button hanging from the to right (passengers side). Press the button and it beeps. Then you can move the shade up or down to the stop position. Then you move it in the opposite direction to the stop. When mine was new it kept forgetting its programming and would not move till you reprogrammed it. Hasn't done that in a long time.

Do you have programming directions in your manuals?
Old 05-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #3

Previous shade failure

Bob--Our shade failed in the first couple of months. The dealer eventually had to replace the motor. They did have us try to reprogram. There is a button that hangs down on the left side of the shade that is used for the reprogramming. I would try the Thor help line first to see if they can walk you through the reprogramming. Ours did not fail while down, so we made do with a role of the reflective shade material from camping world until we got the shade fixed.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
Bob--Our shade failed in the first couple of months. The dealer eventually had to replace the motor. They did have us try to reprogram. There is a button that hangs down on the left side of the shade that is used for the reprogramming. I would try the Thor help line first to see if they can walk you through the reprogramming. Ours did not fail while down, so we made do with a role of the reflective shade material from camping world until we got the shade fixed.

Thanks Bob, I'll try that in the morning.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
You find the programming directions online.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I will try to show a link to the shade manual I believe is needed:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1432296021
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MCD Shades Manual.pdf (514.1 KB, 341 views)
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
What brand is shade?

Don't make the mistake I did trying to adjust side window shades to MCD directions when the manufacturer was actually Irvine Door and window. Call Thor for guidance for proper brand and instructions.

Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #8

mine stopped over a month ago, cant find any 'programming' button for the front windsheild shade - a United Shade product - I'm just rolling up and setting on the fans until I can get to Elkhart for a repair or motor replacement - the shade is not easy to try yourslef because of the way it's installed. : /
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #9

Has anyone had the front night shade stop working?

It appears my motor has gone out too. Like MisterT I do not find I have a reset button. MisterT at Walmart (and other places too) they have small bungy cords about 6 inches long. They are perfect for keeping your defective night shade up without hoping your fans will hold it.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
mine stopped over a month ago, cant find any 'programming' button for the front windsheild shade - a United Shade product - I'm just rolling up and setting on the fans until I can get to Elkhart for a repair or motor replacement - the shade is not easy to try yourslef because of the way it's installed. : /

MisterT, turns out our shades are not MCD Shades. I am working on finding out what kind mine is. We do not have a reset button. MCD confirms this is not theirs.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #11

MisterT,

My shade turned out to be United. I talked to Tim @ 574-264-1130. Don't do this till you talk to Tim, but ... At his instruction I pulled the wire until I found the connection. I then cut the wires just past the connection and hooked up a 9 volt battery. The shade moved. Not a motor problem. Tim thought that was perfect and is sending a new part to replace one with known problems which is in line somewhere between the shade and the powers source. Absolutely no questions about age, warranty or anything. That is the goods news. The bad news is he does not know where the defective one is at in our coach. I figure I will look once I know what the new one looks like and if I still can't find it I will call Thor back. He says it is plug and play and there are programming instruction on their web site.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #12

great, let me know what you find. Ours will make an effort to move, but then stops - as though it's interrupted by a limiter, or something. So it does have power.
If it didn't want to lower, that would be one problem, but when it does not go up, thats a whole nuther story : /
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
great, let me know what you find. Ours will make an effort to move, but then stops - as though it's interrupted by a limiter, or something. So it does have power.
If it didn't want to lower, that would be one problem, but when it does not go up, thats a whole nuther story : /

Your problem may be programming. Call Tim and he may be able to fix it over the phone.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:25 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Complete Company info requested.

[QUOTE=HDRoadking;2576960]MisterT,

My shade turned out to be United. I talked to Tim @ 574-264-1130. He says it is plug and play and there are programming instruction on their web site.

Could you provide more info on company name such as their web site to locate them?

Thanks!
Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote