Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
No Main Disconnect Switch?
Just the so called salesman's switch and that doesn't seem to involve these circuits. I added a disconnect to the coach batteries but I still want the systems to operate correctly. Like they say, I don't want to treat the symptoms, I'm looking for the cure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #16

Replacement part

In your picture, item #1 the solenoid seems to be a common culprit in things not working. Thor replaced that and the BIRD (Item #4) on my initial trip to Elkhart. Evidently the solenoid mechanical parts have potential corrosion of their copper parts which causes the solenoid to stick occasionally. You can buy a better one on line with silver in place of copper. I have purchased my replacement for the solenoid, but since it is continuing to work correctly I have it as a spare and have not installed. Sometimes a sharp tap on the solenoid will break it free if it is sticking due to corrosion.

( I learned this from my brother-in-law, a mechanic, who used a ball peen hammer to make my tractor start by finding just the right place to tap the starter.)
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #17

I noticed that you put a disconnect switch on the negative side of your house batteries. I think that should be on the positive side
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:05 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK IV View Post
I noticed that you put a disconnect switch on the negative side of your house batteries. I think that should be on the positive side
The function of a disconnect switch is to stop electrical flow of electrons. It doesn't matter if you cut the circuit on the positive or negative side, the result is the same. Any messing about with wiring away from the batteries will be safe, a complete circuit can't be made until the switch is closed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:38 AM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a new BIRD on order. The coach battery's were engaging and disengaging the solenoid every time I plugged in or removed that wire from the BIRD. I removed the BIRD and noticed what looks like an overheated spot on the board and a melted area on the plastic housing. I will confirm after replacement.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Well, replaced the BIRD and the solenoid and everything seems to be working as should be. I was a little nervous at first because the solenoid stayed energized for several hours without the engine running or being plugged in to shore power. After reading the documentation I believe it is normal that it stays energized until the voltage in the batteries drop under 12.6 volts.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalez View Post
Well, replaced the BIRD and the solenoid and everything seems to be working as should be. I was a little nervous at first because the solenoid stayed energized for several hours without the engine running or being plugged in to shore power. After reading the documentation I believe it is normal that it stays energized until the voltage in the batteries drop under 12.6 volts.
That sounds a little strange. My understanding is that it gets energized when one set of batteries is getting a charge which means 13.2v or higher.

If there is no charging going on, there is no reason to tie the batteries together.
It might take a while for the voltage to drop when the charging stops, but several hours seems like a long time.

Regards,

Dan
Old 05-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #22
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalez View Post
I have put a disconnect on the house batteries neg side for storage. It just doesn't seem right that as soon as I connect the batteries that this solenoid energizes (it clunks and warms up). I believe the solenoid combines house and chassis batteries together.

Salesmans switch is off and this is the only thing drawing power.

I guess my question is: Should this be solenoid be energized when not plugged in to shore power, no generator running, salesman switch off, basically coach sitting there in storage?
I bet you have a solar panel and it is activating that solenoid circuit. If it is active without any charging source then the BIRD device is defective.

I can explain the BIRD but there are tons of different setups. Do a search in the Google box above for BIRD and you will learn all about it.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I bet you have a solar panel and it is activating that solenoid circuit. If it is active without any charging source then the BIRD device is defective.

I can explain the BIRD but there are tons of different setups. Do a search in the Google box above for BIRD and you will learn all about it.
That was my thought also, that solar panels may be giving a charging voltage that triggered the BIRD.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
That was my thought also, that solar panels may be giving a charging voltage that triggered the BIRD.
No solar panel. It dropped out at around 12.5 volts. This is a new BIRD. Should it disconnect as soon as charging stops?
Old 05-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #25

No, it works as intended. Read post #9, or BIRD manual.
Mike
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myarmar View Post
Mike

That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

Dale
Old 05-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #27

#1 the solenoid...

That Solenoid is nothing but a battery isolator. When the ignition is on, both house batteries and chassis batteries are charged by alternator. When ignition is off, it deactivates that solenoid so your chassis batteries aren't drained by usage of house batteries.
paid-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myarmar View Post
Mike
I think everyone should re-read Mike's post #9, it's right out of the Intellitec datasheet for the BIRD that is installed on the 2014 33.2.

Thank you for the good info Mike.

I have an additional related question: I've been noticing lately that, while driving, the engine alternator doesn't charge the house batteries as well as it did previously. The BIRD and Trombetta are functioning as advertised in post #9 (determined using a multimeter at the solenoid) but I'm getting a 1.2v drop across the contactor, is this acceptable. I've got a call in to Trombetta with the question but no answer as yet.

Has anyone else measured this voltage drop?