Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:11 PM   #1

Ice maker

I decided it is time to winterize, so I got to the point to do the ice maker by putting in a jumper to start the motor. The jumpers were working fine but the pump couldn't pump the antifreeze out of the jug. I went outside to verify and yep, it wasn't strong enough so I cut the hose to make shorter hoping that would make it easier for the pump. Long story short, I forgot to pull the jumper out while doing this (maybe two-three minutes). the jumper no longer would run the motor. Did I burn the pump up? Is it that friggin' wimpy? Thanks.

sttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #2

There is no pump in the ice maker, you need to run your main water pump to suck antifreeze in and create pressure in the water system. Then you can put jumper L to V to open a water valve to let antifreeze fill the ice maker and drip some pink into the tray.
Mike

Old 11-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #3

Winterizing the ice maker in the fridge? I thought they were designed to work at 0F.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Winterizing the ice maker in the fridge? I thought they were designed to work at 0F.
The water line to the ice maker needs to be winterized.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #5

Yes, I understand. that is what I was attempting to do, get the water out of the line. I have the internal pump turned on and using the jumper I actually hear the motor running, YEAH, and water gurgling but not enough pressure to push the water from the line into the freezer tray. All that worked as planned. What did not work was at the point I decided to use antifreeze. Attached hose to water inlet, other end of hose inside antifreeze jug, internal pump turned on, jumper wire then turns on "motor" to ice maker and lever pulled down. Internal pump could not draw antifreeze from hose (probably too long). Cut hose and now only 2+ feet long, put in antifreeze jug. Everything is now in place as above except now I go back to the freezer and jumper wires no longer run the "motor". This is the problem...."motor" no longer engages with the wire jumper......did the ice maker motor burn up?
sttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have an answer to your dilemma. I was responding to ThePowells statement.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #7

Ted, I doubt you burnt the motor, it is designed to remain stalled for a few minutes as heater melts ice before dispensing, so running for a few minutes should not be a problem.
Do you have a voltmeter? You need to check if you have 120VAC between test points N and L. If you have nothing, check for a thermal fuse, it may be blown. I believe you need to remove the ice maker and look for fuse in the wiring harness.