Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #29

Ours is next

Bill--We heard from Thor today that our parts have made it to Marion, NC and we are on track for our repair next week. We will compare notes again after that. I was not hopeful for you based on the experience level of the techs. These slides really are demanding. Evidently like Bob if they are right they are right, but the tolerances are such that when wrong they are wrong.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #30

Rv8 & BoDu,

We just got home this afternoon and based on latest experience of you two I thought I should do a complete inspection. This is what I have to offer after 12,500 miles and a little over a years worth of slides going in and out. I think I am still looking pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #31

Oops forgot to attach the pix.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1415325856.397069.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1415325879.134305.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  63.6 KB

Old 11-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #32

Good Looking Slides

Bob--I agree. One of mine looked worse than that when I pulled out of Elkhart in June. That wasn't the one that stopped this time however. Your coach appears to have had good alignment from the beginning. Happy camping. We take ours to Marion NC tomorrow for its fourth complete slide mechanism rebuild.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
Bob--I agree. One of mine looked worse than that when I pulled out of Elkhart in June. That wasn't the one that stopped this time however. Your coach appears to have had good alignment from the beginning. Happy camping. We take ours to Marion NC tomorrow for its fourth complete slide mechanism rebuild.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your out come. Give my best to Rita.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Bill--We heard from Thor today that our parts have made it to Marion, NC and we are on track for our repair next week. We will compare notes again after that. I was not hopeful for you based on the experience level of the techs. These slides really are demanding. Evidently like Bob if they are right they are right, but the tolerances are such that when wrong they are wrong.

I agree with the idea that if they are right they are right.

My thought is that If the slide is build just a bit out of square or installed as such then problems will continue.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #35
RV8

Just because you took it to Elkhart don't think it's fixed!

BoDu--We are anxiously awaiting the report of your experiences with the latest of your slide mechanism replacements. Hope it goes well!!

HDRoadKing--Thanks for posting the photos of your worm gears. Not a single one of the worm gears on any of the four slide mechanisms installed in this MH has ever looked as pristine as yours. Four slide mechanisms in 16 months and 16,300 miles is a bit disheartening. Though we would have preferred not to have any need for replacements, we remain thankful that Thor has continued to work with us on this problem.

Will report in when we have anything of interest.

Safe travels to all!
RV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #36
RV8

Just because you took it to Elkhart don't think its fixed!

Current Status Report

Our contact at Thor on 11/5/14 assured us that he would get all our information (including descriptions and photographs) to the proper hands for appropriate action. As of 12:30 PM, MST, today we had heard nothing so called our contact again. He was quite surprised to hear that no one had reached us by phone or email. He said he would be calling them again and that they would be in touch with us shortly. So far, we have not been able to talk to anyone about the issues with our 2014 Palazzo 33.2 including the recent installation of a fourth slide mechanism which is already beginning to show signs of deterioration AND damages to the rear of the slide frame caused either by the malfunction or the replacement of slide mechanism three. This has been an ongoing problem since 10/16/14 when slide mechanism three failed dramatically.

Will keep you posted when we have anything to share.

Safe travels to all.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #37

Slide Mechanically Repaired

Discussed the status of the slide repair with the Tom Johnson service department in Marion. Slide is mechanically repaired. Thor sent their trainer from ELkhart and trained the TJ techs on how to repair using our coach. Now waiting on some OK to repaint a portion. This may take a week or more, so I cannot say I have eyes on the repair yet. No travel currently planned so not an issue at this time.

Also signed papers yesterday to have a coach garage constructed. Probably a couple of months before they get started.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Discussed the status of the slide repair with the Tom Johnson service department in Marion. Slide is mechanically repaired. Thor sent their trainer from ELkhart and trained the TJ techs on how to repair using our coach. Now waiting on some OK to repaint a portion. This may take a week or more, so I cannot say I have eyes on the repair yet. No travel currently planned so not an issue at this time.

Also signed papers yesterday to have a coach garage constructed. Probably a couple of months before they get started.

My 2 cents. Add 5 foot to your barn. Lol

Russell
Old 11-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
My 2 cents. Add 5 foot to your barn. Lol

Russell

+1.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #40
RV8

After graciously funding the installation of three new slide mechanisms (for a grand total of four in our 2014 Palazzo 33.2 in 16 months), Thor's tech rep Tom Overton has informed us that Thor will not cover any additional work on our large slide mechanism. We feel that our unit has been inherently flawed since its initial construction and that facing the prospect of a new slide mechanism installation every four months for the foreseeable future is unreasonable. We have been grateful for Thors support, but in addition to the slide issues there are too many other things which have been wrong with this unit for us to maintain any confidence in it. We have refrained from posting all of them as we did not wish to participate in manufacturer bashing. Look for a chronological posting of all that has been wrong with this unit in a future thread. Then you can draw your own conclusions about our predicament. Meanwhile, many thanks to all of you for your concerns and responses.

Safe Travels
Old 11-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8 View Post
After graciously funding the installation of three new slide mechanisms (for a grand total of four in our 2014 Palazzo 33.2 in 16 months), Thor's tech rep Tom Overton has informed us that Thor will not cover any additional work on our large slide mechanism. We feel that our unit has been inherently flawed since its initial construction and that facing the prospect of a new slide mechanism installation every four months for the foreseeable future is unreasonable. We have been grateful for Thors support, but in addition to the slide issues there are too many other things which have been wrong with this unit for us to maintain any confidence in it. We have refrained from posting all of them as we did not wish to participate in manufacturer bashing. Look for a chronological posting of all that has been wrong with this unit in a future thread. Then you can draw your own conclusions about our predicament. Meanwhile, many thanks to all of you for your concerns and responses.

Safe Travels

RV8
Really sorry to hear that. I figured that this day would come. I bailed out late summer. Traded mine off after all the slide issues.

Sad thing is they are still selling them. Good luck with yours. Just not right that a big corporation can get by with this.

Russell
Old 11-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #42

RV8,
We are here if you need to vent. Call anytime!
Karen and Rick
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote