Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Just watered my batteries... Did my apathy wreck them?

I didn't check my fluid levels since October'ish. Went out to top off and ended up adding close to a gallon over the 4 batteries. RV was plugged in all winter. How do I test to see if I wrecked them? Are there any system tools in the remote that will help test or equalize charge?
Uber_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The critical thing is that the tops of the battery plates must not be exposed above the battery acid solution when the batteries are being charged or discharged, as only the parts of the plates in contact with the fluid do the battery work and material is actually moved between the plates in the charge discharge cycle. If so, the material present on those parts of the plates will never be the same as the main part of the battery. If the batteries were not being used while fluid was low, no harm may have been done.

There is another problem that batteries can get as they age that harms their capacity and current delivery capability, sulfation. You can google it and read about when and why it happens.

There are chargers that do a controlled over-charge to try and "de-sulfate" lead acid storage batteries, that can do a slight amount of reversal of a battery deterioration condition called sulfation. I have a Sears Die-hard trickle charger that has this feature and other good quality trickle chargers and some deluxe larger chargers also have this feature, but it is generally designed to do the de-sulfaction charge cycle to only one 6 volt or 12 volt battery at a time.

I don't think RV chargers tend to have the de-sulfation feature, if they do it would be manually activated somehow, as the controlled de-sulfation over-charge causes a slight amount of battery water loss. So, if you wanted to try to de-sulfate your batteries, you would turn off shore power or trip the right breaker to disable your internal RV charger and use the external charger with de-sulfation one battery at a time, lifting a battery cable from the battery being re-conditioned with the external charger to isolate it from the others. Each one takes about 24-48 hours at least with the Sear Die-hard I have.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The magnum inverter/charger and remote for the Palazzo have an equalization capability. As Randy pointed out it is a manual activation. If, I remember right you hold the charger button on the remote it should prompt you for the equalization. If you use your RV all the time, then, do you need to do an equalization of the batteries? Some argue, the pounding the RV takes going down the road does the same thing. For instance, do you ever equalize the battery of your car?
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #4

OK I don't keep the coach plugged in all the time, never have. The longest period is the 2 mts. we spend in Florida. The last set of house batteries lasted 7 yrs and I thought that was good. My inverter charger does have a cook/balance/equalize (whatever mode) and some times I do let it cook them off. Adding water is a basic maintenance item that I've done for 40+ years. I just don't trust the charger, any charger, to float charge the batteries and not cook all the water out. That's my humble opinion!
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #5

Short version,

If you let the cells go dry for that long, especially when plugged in and on charge, they are toast. $400-$500 and your back in business.

Take some good photos of them Before you remove them so you have a reference when installing the new batteries. Lots of posts in this forum by folks who changed batteries and got them connected wrong.
Going forward, check the water levels at least every 2-3 months and keep them topped up with Distilled Water. They will last you for another 8-10 years.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
The magnum inverter/charger and remote for the Palazzo have an equalization capability. As Randy pointed out it is a manual activation. If, I remember right you hold the charger button on the remote it should prompt you for the equalization. If you use your RV all the time, then, do you need to do an equalization of the batteries? Some argue, the pounding the RV takes going down the road does the same thing. For instance, do you ever equalize the battery of your car?
Many battery experts think de-sulfation via overcharging is not effective.

If if you agree with them that de-sulfaction is bogus, then overcharging occasionally still does equalize batteries where all the cells don't have the same specific gravity any more. Proper charging of wet cell lead acid batteries to 13.8 volts (or half that for a 6V battery) during bulk charge and absorbtion charge phases keeps the cells equalized. If a lower charge voltage is used during absorbtion then there is a slight possibility of cells become unequalized over a long period of time.

The caviat is that over-charging generates hydrogen gas and batteries lose some water when you overcharge so you have to monitor cell water levels and have batteries properly ventilated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Were the plates exposed? If so, not good. Recharge, check specific gravity and do a break down test. Keep or replace depending on test results.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm in the "time will tell" camp. I hope it all works out well for you.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #9

Irreparable damage has been done IF the plates were exposed to the atmosphere. That doesn't mean the battery is totally ruined for RV use, but the life can be substantially reduced.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #10

I would agree, the batteries are toast now. I just replaced my six pack after they went dry. I'm only home every six months and that evidently was too long between top offs for my coach.

Took this opportunity to add two more batteries to the group for a total of eight. I think I can squeeze two more in there if I lose a little side clearance between the sets.

Like mentioned above, please pay close attention to how your set is wired, its very easy to make a mistake if you get distracted, I know.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks everyone. Batteries are still functioning. I am not sure to what degree. I will check into how to measure specific gravity and see if running the equalization sequence is necessary.
Uber_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:56 PM   #12

I add water to my house batteries once a year. I use a flashlight and mirror to see the water level and I have never had plates exposed. The mirror also shows me when the water is up to the plastic in the fill tube. So to Uber, I don't believe you exposed your plates.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, water