Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Locked Out

Everyone

I own a 2016 Thor Palazzo 33.3

I put the motor home in indoor storage this past weekend. When the owners of the storage facility tried to move the RV they could not enter the motor home.

When I arrived the side door locks themselves you could tell were locking and unlocking but, when you pulled the handle it would not release or dis engage the plunger from the frame.

I also locked all windows to the motor home and have no way to enter to remove the Trimark handle / lock from the inside.

I contacted Trimark and they sent a diagram of the lock but gave no real advice on how to drill or disable the lock to gain access.

I can't be the first to go through this. Any words / documents / videos on how to open the door would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to buy new lock but would refer no other costs. I contacted several locksmiths and no experience in dealing with this.

Help

Matt

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmalkire View Post
Everyone

I own a 2016 Thor Palazzo 33.3

I put the motor home in indoor storage this past weekend. When the owners of the storage facility tried to move the RV they could not enter the motor home.

When I arrived the side door locks themselves you could tell were locking and unlocking but, when you pulled the handle it would not release or dis engage the plunger from the frame.

I also locked all windows to the motor home and have no way to enter to remove the Trimark handle / lock from the inside.

I contacted Trimark and they sent a diagram of the lock but gave no real advice on how to drill or disable the lock to gain access.

I can't be the first to go through this. Any words / documents / videos on how to open the door would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to buy new lock but would refer no other costs. I contacted several locksmiths and no experience in dealing with this.

Help

Matt
I would call an RV service center. I personally have locked myself out but always leave the passenger side window unlocked

Old 11-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This very thing happened to another owner during a THOR Mini Rally. The lock had to be completely drilled out by a locksmith. They drilled the hole about 1/3rd down and 1/3 across from the top left. The hole was large enough for the locksmith to disengage the lock with a reach tool. Afterwards, it would still close but wouldn't lock. He had to call THOR and they overnighted a new replacement lock that had to later be adjusted by a dealer. We learned that you should limit slamming the door. The THOR Rep who was at the rally told us all to gently close the door, apply pressure to have the double lock engage, or keep the lock in the open position, close the door, listen for the double click, then lock it. The locksmith did not have RV experience either but had to get the door open. Hope this helps......
Old 11-03-2017, 04:59 PM   #4

This is common w/trimark lock, it's not the lock tumbler, most likely the striker bolt has snapped in half leaving it wedged in the door jamb, drilling the lock won't get you in, you probably have to disassemble the lock from inside and remove the broken striker bolt from the jamb plate, either sacrifice the door(not) or a side window, file a complaint with NHTSB when it's over, you won't be the first. I've been through this , now always push the door against the jamb before trying to open it and ALWAYS leave side window unlatched.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #5

On the way to the Goshen rally this year, I was actually locked in. I called for assistance from the campground and they helped me hand tools through the window. A spring had broken, leaving the coach locked. I took out all screws, drilled several holes and finally had to beat the lock open with a hammer. After about an hour and a half I was finally free. We continued to Goshen with bungee cords and duck tape in place.

The Thor tech that replaced the lock at Goshen used a large knife to push open the lock striker from the outside when the new lock jammed. He noted that this was like sliding a credit card in a home door lock to open it. Good luck getting this to work. Thor replaced the lock at Goshen but I had to pay $125 for the replacement lock. The tech used locktite on the two posts to secure them to the coach. Adjustment was by means of a few hammer blows.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:58 PM   #6

Sent you a solution via PM
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it's not to much to ask, would you mind sharing the solution? The only remedy I've seen is drilling.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #8

Solution was only for getting access into the vehicle. Not fixing the lock.......
Old 11-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by megehrs View Post
Solution was only for getting access into the vehicle. Not fixing the lock.......
OK, can you share that? I'm sure a few of us might like to know how to get in the next time we lock ourselves out. My wife is well known to lock the door with the keys inside. 3x in the past 2 years.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
I have a 2014 Palazzo 33.1. I was locked out at 10:00 pm on a Sunday evening. Calling for a locksmith didn't seem feasible. A friend with a Palazzo had his keys and we were able to get a basement door open to retrieve my drill. I drilled out the lock and gained entrance. The deadbolt still functioned and I was able to continue on my way. I found that the lock set had been discontinued and a new style lock set was available. The orientation of the inside levers was such that the lever was pushed down to lock. The newer version, the lever was oriented to rotate to the side. It didn't take much to move or jar the old style lever to lock it. I was lucky to be able to drill the lock unlike BoDu's experience.
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where do I drill? Through the handle itself or behind the handle?
Old 11-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Locked Out

I drilled the lock where the key is inserted. The one in the handle. The other one is for the deadbolt.
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #13

Locked Out

Are you still locked OUT? Mmalkire have you drilled the lock yet?
Old 11-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastJeeps View Post
OK, can you share that? I'm sure a few of us might like to know how to get in the next time we lock ourselves out. My wife is well known to lock the door with the keys inside. 3x in the past 2 years.
Wouldn't a hide a key be a simple solution

Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote