Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:10 AM   #1

Maiden Voyage a success!

16 days and 2850 miles on our new '15 36.1 pulling our '03 Avalanche through NM, AZ, and CA. Our longest stay was 10 days in Newport with a 2 night and the rest overnighters and back on the road. Our biggest problem... A small drip about 9-10 days in that was easily remidied, and a couple small fixes that I'll take care of now that we're home- a new pop rivet on a latch catch, some better shower caulking. I am SO impressed with how well it handles in the high winds of AZ, as well as up and down the different grades we traveled. On the grades from Needles to San Bernadino we ran in 105-112 degree temps. I passed a very high end coach at the start of a long grade, I think he felt a bit slighted that my "bargin" coach went by him as I notcied him trying to keep up. At one point he got within a couple lengths but then had to back off the fuel. We ended up parked on the 15 in Hesperia next to each other and he couldn't believe I pulled him up the hills without heating it up. The fans kicked in, and cooled it down enought to shut off for a time before kicking back in! Through the entire trip as speed limit allowed, the cruise was set at 75, probably good for me that U.S. the max cc speed, and I feel pretty good that we averaged 8.2 for mist of the trip until today pushing wind at 75 it dropped to 8.
I got the "Welcome to the Thor family" call today on the last day of our trip. Stephanie was very helpful and pleasant. I asked about upgrading my fridge latch to the one used in the '16, and they are sending one out free of charge! I also asked about the '16 front side shades and the bunk mattress. Stephanie was unable to get me an answer while on the phone so a Tech is supposed to call me tomorrow.
We are extremely happy new Palazzo 36.1 owners looking forward to all the new adventures our family will have in it. A big thanks to this forum for all the advise offered, and topics covered. Even the negative threads, if read correctly, can help you. We appreciate the knowledge this forum offers as well as the support. We look forward to running into any forum members out on the road!
Troostr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Don't forget the TDC rally in Goshen in October.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #3

Congrats Troostr.... Yeah, once you figure out the weight balance, tire pressures and even upgrade the steering to a safety plus and trim unit, the Palazzo drives great at "high" speeds. Enjoy, and safe travels.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations! !

See ya on road!
Old 08-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #5

Glad you had a good maiden voyage. We love our coach and it sounds like you will too. Back off that pedal a bit, get a few miles of break in and you might start approaching 12 miles to a gallon instead of 8.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Told at Camp Frieghtliner that the sweet spot for best gas mileage was 1800 rpm. That's around 63 mph.
Have gotten as high as 11.4 towing.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voyage