Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yikes! I just stumbled on this issue with Thor. There is nothing so frustrating as paying our hard earned bucks to have a little fun in the sun time and spending it at incompetent dealers and manufacturing engineering guess work. All the best!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy1313 View Post
It took 66 days to have this repair completed. My feeling is there was a bit of "you didn't buy this coach from us, so you go to the back of the queue" syndrome at play here.
I don't understand this mentality by dealerships. Warranty work, is warranty work. Why a dealership wouldn't want the income from this baffles me.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Spoke to a Thor rep today about this before we buy.

Said they (lippert) added adjustable rollers rather than fixed rollers.

Also changed the motor shaft from alum to steel along with a larger motor.

He also said about 350 were built for the first 6 months of '14

So with the '13 production and anticipated remainder of second half of '14 they estimate 1,000 on the road.

So it sounds like those of you with older versions need to think about getting them ungraded before your year is up.
Can you re-phrase this? These were built with the old or new way? I have a '14 Miramar with same slide system as the other Thor's here. It was manufactured in July 13 according to the sticker... After reading these threads, I'm very nervous about this slide system! My drop down front bunk has same slide system too and it already makes some unnerving sounds when lowering...
Old 09-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post

Can you re-phrase this? These were built with the old or new way? I have a '14 Miramar with same slide system as the other Thor's here.
My coach was built in January 2013. If you are wondering what version of the slide system parts you have, you can feel behind the rubber sweep strip for the connecting shaft that connects the top and bottom gears when the slide is extended - if you feel a spline in the shaft, then you have the aluminum version. If it is smooth, then the newer steel version is what you have. I imagine a magnet could also be used to make the determination.

2005 Honda Pilot toad
photoguy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
I don't understand this mentality by dealerships. Warranty work, is warranty work. Why a dealership wouldn't want the income from this baffles me.
One of the service advisers at one point told me they were so overbooked they were having to advise those with service appointments they would have to push them out an additional month. I still think though I fell victim to the "not bought here" syndrome - having the coach sit in their muddy lot for a week without even looking at the coach is inexcusable.

2005 Honda Pilot toad
photoguy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #48

When I said something about "Steel" connecting shaft instead of aluminum to the Thor rep I was told "Where did you hear about the steel shafts instead of aluminum" when I told him about the posts of other Palazzo owners on the internet my wonderful Thor rep said "Well, you can't believe everything you read on the internet". Again, nice huh??
I was also told "well you didn't buy it here" from the dealership that now has our 33.2 for slide repair (#2).
It seems like the Thor folks and the dealerships are very nice, UNTIL YOU BUY!!!!
UGGGGGGG!!!!!!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
When I said something about "Steel" connecting shaft instead of aluminum to the Thor rep I was told "Where did you hear about the steel shafts instead of aluminum" when I told him about the posts of other Palazzo owners on the internet my wonderful Thor rep said "Well, you can't believe everything you read on the internet". Again, nice huh??
I was also told "well you didn't buy it here" from the dealership that now has our 33.2 for slide repair (#2).
It seems like the Thor folks and the dealerships are very nice, UNTIL YOU BUY!!!!
UGGGGGGG!!!!!!
The next time someone questions you about the steel shafts you can tell them that Thor's Customer Service Manager, Mark Stanley told me, in person, about the steel shaft and stronger motors being used on the longer slides, ie, 33.2, 33.3, and 36.1 models. This information was passed to everyone attending the Thor Diesel Club rally in Eureka Springs, AR in May 2013.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
UGGGGGGG!!!!!!
This really bugs me. I'm very close to buying a Palazzo out of state, because my local dealership won't deal, and their attitude sounds similar to yours. I'm really considering buying a Newmar instead.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
What makes you think Newmar doesn't have slide problems?

They all do

Search Newmar slide problems on Google
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #52

Quote:
What makes you think Newmar doesn't have slide problems?

They all do

Search Newmar slide problems on Google
I never said Newmar doesn't have slide problems. Anything mechanical can break, but the Thor slide issue seems to be on a larger scale.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Also keep in mind how many are built by Newmar v Thor, a wild guess the % of failure is about the same.

It appears that improvements are helping
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #54

Quote:
Also keep in mind how many are built by Newmar v Thor, a wild guess the % of failure is about the same.
I don't agree that the failure rate is about the same. Considering Newmar was the first to add slides to their coaches, it's possible they have a better slide system. Maybe we should do a slide failure poll.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
I don't agree that the failure rate is about the same. Considering Newmar was the first to add slides to their coaches, it's possible they have a better slide system. Maybe we should do a slide failure poll.
You may be correct that Newmar introduced to first slide so this makes them some kind of expert however the first big, full wall slide was introduced by Mandalay (now Owned by Thor) in 2007 (source; RV Business News).

All coach manufacturers have slide problems! I was camping in Anderson, IN 6 weeks ago and a tag axle Newmar parked next to me did not deploy it's driver side slide. I got to talking to the owner and he told me that it has not worked right for some time and he was afraid to try and extend it for just one night. He told me that he was going to take it back to the dealer once he got back to Florida.

I have two slides in my Palazzo, I have driven my coach for over 14K miles in the past 15 months and my slides work just fine. If I had a Palazzo with slide problems I would take it to Thor, even if I had no appointment. If you are sitting on their doorstep with a broken slide they will need to deal with you. You may need to wait a few days but it is better then waiting at some dealer with no knowledge of this slide issue.

I have been to Thor twice and both times my appointment was on a Monday and it appeared that everyone shows up Sunday night for Monday appointments. The first time I was three 4 days because they needed to order a part that needed to be shipped in. During the week no other coaches showed up so I assume that they block the entire week in the event that they encounter a problem like mine with a special order. I was at Thor this past Monday and left Tuesday morning and again no one came in after Monday morning, in fact one appointment did not show therefore they had one tech running around helping other tech's with their customers. Once I left my tech was also available.

Early October the Thor Diesel Club are having their International Rally in Goshen and each attendee can submit 3 service items for Thor to fix regardless if it is a warranty item or not. If it is out of warranty they may charge you for any parts used but no labor is charged. I would not go to Thor during this week if you do not have an appointment.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #56

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
You may be correct that Newmar introduced to first slide so this makes them some kind of expert however the first big, full wall slide was introduced by Mandalay (now Owned by Thor) in 2007 (source; RV Business News). All coach manufacturers have slide problems! I was camping in Anderson, IN 6 weeks ago and a tag axle Newmar parked next to me did not deploy it's driver side slide. I got to talking to the owner and he told me that it has not worked right for some time and he was afraid to try and extend it for just one night. He told me that he was going to take it back to the dealer once he got back to Florida. I have two slides in my Palazzo, I have driven my coach for over 14K miles in the past 15 months and my slides work just fine. If I had a Palazzo with slide problems I would take it to Thor, even if I had no appointment. If you are sitting on their doorstep with a broken slide they will need to deal with you. You may need to wait a few days but it is better then waiting at some dealer with no knowledge of this slide issue. I have been to Thor twice and both times my appointment was on a Monday and it appeared that everyone shows up Sunday night for Monday appointments. The first time I was three 4 days because they needed to order a part that needed to be shipped in. During the week no other coaches showed up so I assume that they block the entire week in the event that they encounter a problem like mine with a special order. I was at Thor this past Monday and left Tuesday morning and again no one came in after Monday morning, in fact one appointment did not show therefore they had one tech running around helping other tech's with their customers. Once I left my tech was also available. Early October the Thor Diesel Club are having their International Rally in Goshen and each attendee can submit 3 service items for Thor to fix regardless if it is a warranty item or not. If it is out of warranty they may charge you for any parts used but no labor is charged. I would not go to Thor during this week if you do not have an appointment.
Jack;
Can't come to the Goshen Rally. If anyone is going, they need to get a report on the slide issue problems and the Thor fix.
Also how Thor's reputation is being killed by their lack of a communicated fix to dealers/owners.
Hope a Thor rep shows at the spring TDC rally.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide