Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #1

More Palazzo slide issues!

Well, it looks like the Palazzo Slide Gremlins got us again!! Calling THOR in the morning! It is Hurricane Season around here and if we had to evacuate in a hurry we would be up the proverbial creek!! UGGGGGGG!!!!

RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #2

Sorry to hear... We have a small issue with ours (It still slides in and out with no issues, but the rear slide is off from one of its side roller). I would only want Thor to work on it and have it done right. We will go before warranty is up (next year).

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #3

Spoke to Thor/Dealership this morning. It will be 2 weeks before they can get us in but they say they have the motor/wire harness in stock. This will be our second set of new motors for the slide. It worries me that this will be an ongoing issue. It seems like the slide is just too heavy even for the larger Lippert motors. I wonder if RV's have a lemon law like cars do? (Lemon Law for cars states after 4 trips to repair facility for same malfunction with no resolution of issue, manufacturer MUST buy back vehicle.) I guess time will tell.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #4

Has anyone heard if the 2014's are having the same slide issues? Maybe it is just the 2013,s.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #5

We have a 2014 33.3 and prob just as heavy as the 33.2. Maybe slightly less heavy, but not by much... we have not have any prob with our big slide. Have a prob with our small slide... thats another topic. I dont think it is a motor issue with these slides. The issues are more slide alignment, support rollers, flex on the rods, flex on the body and of course based on how level these are sliding in/out. In other words all the mechanics of the slide has to work all together. If one component is a bit off... the motors will be taxed. Eg: I can move my 5000lb jeep by grabbing a spoke on a wheel/tires and the jeep will move very easily... on a slightly not so level ground, its just about impossible to move.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
We have a 2014 33.3 and prob just as heavy as the 33.2. Maybe slightly less heavy, but not by much... we have not have any prob with our big slide. Have a prob with our small slide... thats another topic. I dont think it is a motor issue with these slides. The issues are more slide alignment, support rollers, flex on the rods, flex on the body and of course based on how level these are sliding in/out. In other words all the mechanics of the slide has to work all together. If one component is a bit off... the motors will be taxed. Eg: I can move my 5000lb jeep by grabbing a spoke on a wheel/tires and the jeep will move very easily... on a slightly not so level ground, its just about impossible to move.
Have everyone seen all the stickers in the mh about being level and on jacks before operating slides. Every lot I went to had the slides out without jacks down. Who knows how many times the slides have been operated without being level.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Have everyone seen all the stickers in the mh about being level and on jacks before operating slides. Every lot I went to had the slides out without jacks down. Who knows how many times the slides have been operated without being level.
X2 on your observation on slides out with no jacks on dealer lots.
FMCA-F423222, TDC, FCOC & Tri-State Traveliers
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think level is the most important part. Not sure what jacks add if already level.
My Palazzo was special ordered so was not on the dealer lot more than a day before we went to pick it up. Hopefully my lack of slide problems will continue and maybe not being a demo unit has helped.

I know what you mean about sales and other dealer people running slides without regard to leveling.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Slide noise has pagued TMC as I have a challenger 37DT and like many in this form we have slide noise problems. I have had my 2013 unit into the shop six times and it still isn't fixed...See Challenger 37DT slide noise. Good luck buddy!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
I think level is the most important part. Not sure what jacks add if already level.
My Palazzo was special ordered so was not on the dealer lot more than a day before we went to pick it up. Hopefully my lack of slide problems will continue and maybe not being a demo unit has helped.

I know what you mean about sales and other dealer people running slides without regard to leveling.
We waited 2 weeks for our 36.1 to come off the line. Driven down...serviced...and we picked it up.
Went out one night and back....all ok
Week later went to Lawrence KS for a week...all ok.
Ten days later headed for the west coast...made it to Redding CA ...two days at Freightliner getting dash module replaced. Next day to Medford OR to see friends...next morning ...slide out! Lived in it for two weeks with slide blocked I ...NOT FUN!

Dealer has had it three weeks this coming Tuesday...not much progress yet..
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #11

When it gets stuck out, isn't there a manual overide to get it back in somehow?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
When it gets stuck out, isn't there a manual overide to get it back in somehow?
You need to remove the motors and then and with a lot of help, you can push the slide in and secure with the slide locks for transport to the repair shop. One Palazzo owner had to do this but I can't find the post that explained the entire procedure.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The more Palazzo's sold the more slide issues I am reading about. I was thinking, can this be a problem particular to the Palazzo or is it more industry wide. I did a search in iRV2 to see if slides were a problem across manufacturers.

Well folks, we are not alone, from Newmar to Winnebago there are slide problems from noisy, squeaking, jamming, will not extend/retract and so on. It makes no difference if they are electric or hydraulic they have problems.

What I have noticed is the coaches that use slide components like ours have more problems if they are used on a larger, heavier slides like what is found on the 33.2,33.3. and 36.1 Palazzo models. I personally feel that the slide components are light duty and not up to the task. This could of been a cost savings on the part of Thor or a good sales job by the manufacturer (Lippert - Schwintek) and Thor is suffering along with us. I do not know what the final fix will be or if there will ever be one. I am much smarter and I will not buy another coach with a slide system like the one that is installed on the Palazzo. The Lippert/Schwintek in-wall slide system is not up to the task.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
The more Palazzo's sold the more slide issues I am reading about. I was thinking, can this be a problem particular to the Palazzo or is it more industry wide. I did a search in iRV2 to see if slides were a problem across manufacturers.

Well folks, we are not alone, from Newmar to Winnebago there are slide problems from noisy, squeaking, jamming, will not extend/retract and so on. It makes no difference if they are electric or hydraulic they have problems.

What I have noticed is the coaches that use slide components like ours have more problems if they are used on a larger, heavier slides like what is found on the 33.2,33.3. and 36.1 Palazzo models. I personally feel that the slide components are light duty and not up to the task. This could of been a cost savings on the part of Thor or a good sales job by the manufacturer (Lippert - Schwintek) and Thor is suffering along with us. I do not know what the final fix will be or if there will ever be one. I am much smarter and I will not buy another coach with a slide system like the one that is installed on the Palazzo. The Lippert/Schwintek in-wall slide system is not up to the task.
Must be weight. Don't believe we've had many issues with 33.1 main slide.
After ours was adjusted by Thor we've had no problems.

tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide