Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #1

National Park Lovers

Hi everyone; Summer is almost here, retirement around the corner, and National Park air is on our mind. My DW has put the thumb on the length of a class A from 45 to 36 ish due to her belief that 95 % of parks have a 36 foot restriction. Have found the Palazzo meeting all of our wish list. Now the question. She wants the 33.2 at 34.9 ft., I like the 36.1 at 37.7 ft. What will I find in real life camping at the National Parks? Is the DW right AGAIN? Thanks for your help.
hhawknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhawknv View Post
Hi everyone; Summer is almost here, retirement around the corner, and National Park air is on our mind. My DW has put the thumb on the length of a class A from 45 to 36 ish due to her belief that 95 % of parks have a 36 foot restriction. Have found the Palazzo meeting all of our wish list. Now the question. She wants the 33.2 at 34.9 ft., I like the 36.1 at 37.7 ft. What will I find in real life camping at the National Parks? Is the DW right AGAIN? Thanks for your help.
hhawknv
I have found that some are fine for 42 footers while in others only 25 or 30 footers will fit.
It's best to call the particular National Park campground and ask.
(However we've stayed at more than one with a 34 foot length limit with our 35 footer).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, it depends on the individual park.
I would not compromise comfort for being able to accommodate National Park length requirements unless there is one park that you will be going to often that has the short length requirement.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I like the Allstays app for a convenient way of locating campgrounds which gives some pertinent information about what each one offers and many times size limitations. It will also take you directly to the campground website. I have a 33.1 (nominally 35') and find that many national and state parks can't accommodate us. I love the setting found in the national and state parks. I think they are trying to upgrade to accommodate the longer RV's but it is a slow process. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

A lot of them post a 35' limit even though they can fit larger MH's. I was talking to a Park Ranger about that and he told me that was an arbitrary length that was used long ago, before MH's were made as big as they are today. He said they don't have the time or resources to go measure every site and change the info on the computers. He told me they don't care how long your MH is as long as it fits in the site, and the MH as well as your toad do not sit with any part of the vehicle on the common park roadway. The problem comes in when trying to make reservations as you could reserve on that is not big enough, then you are stuck. What we do is every CG we stay in, when we take our daily walks we take a CG map with us and mark all the ones we will fit into, so we can request those when making reservations for future trips.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Are you going to live in the National Parks? How many days a year do you think you will be in a National Park?

I don't think I would make the National Parks length and the determining factor.

You could find a RV park outside the National Park and drive your car into the park.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You can reserve a specific space in some govt. campgrounds including some of the NP campgrounds using the recreation.gov web site, and if populated, there is a lot of information about length of site, pull thru or back in, etc. Even photos and maps.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
While we love and visit many national parks, we rarely stay in one. When visiting a park we won't fit in we chose a private park outside and drive in for day trips. Even with a 35 foot coach many spots will be not useable. For camping the tent is a great choice and any spot can be used :-)
Keep in mind , you aren't camping by any stretch! Personally we travel by rv with all our needs contained. The toad gets used for " exploring the neighborhood "
What's important to you?
Old 05-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #9

In our pre-purchase research, we found that most of the NP's we wanted to visit had 32' maximums. So, we shopped for MHs between 30' and 33'. We found the perfect one for us and it is only 30'. The first 4 years we traveled we only stayed inside one NP because we discovered early on, we like hook-ups, we don't really camp. Length was really not an issue. BUT, After spending a lot of time driving back and forth from the RV park outside Yosemite, to the sights we wanted to see last year, we decided this year we had to stay inside the park this time. Back to a length restriction. Thankfully, at 30', there are many choices for our little coach. Less options the longer you are. I share our experience, just FYI. things change, once you find that floor plan you like, take a look back and see what if any compromises you may need to make. Pick the ones you can live with.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #10

I find that, if making a reservation online, to use a 25' or 30' length finds most availability in most any state or national park. Even if, like us, you are actually ~34' overall, your wheelbase is a larger part of the equation, maneuvering thru the park to your site is actually the most difficult, and a shorter wheelbase makes it easier. Ours is about 17'.
...and I've never had anyone at check in question my true length, no one takes out a tape measure to the coach, and most are quite oblivious to the restriction, or don't even understand why they have it.
...but, if you're of the 'I better stick to the rules' type, then you'll have a tougher time with any sizable Class A coach.

I'm wondering if most of the park personnel even know what 'the length of the unit' actually even means. Does it include your tow vehicle or trailer? Does it include your 'hangover' behind your rear wheels? Does it include your bike rack? Does it include your ladder? So many questions...

Just go and relax - don't buy a vehicle based on what parks require, but rather what you will enjoy.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Just arrived home a few hours ago from an amazing trip to Cape Hatteras in my 36.1. To date, I have yet to stay in a national park. First off, they mostly accommodate smaller coaches, the average being 30'. Some parks can accommodate larger, but those are less common in the mid Atlantic area where I live. Secondly, I have never been fortunate enough to score a reservation at a national park, even a year in advance.

In less than three weeks, my ten year old and I are taking off for a two month long trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore and a number of other places, most of which are national parks. I was not able to score a single reservation in, or near, any of our destinations. What I found instead, were a great number of campgrounds that offer more than I expected, with plenty of options, amenities, and availability. You may pay a bit more sometimes compared to a national park, but not always. I also don't have to worry about not having access to electricity in a place that doesn't allow generators. That would be a deal breaker for me in the summer months.

I absolutely love the 36.1's floor plan. The large rear bath and spacious half bath are its best feature! The rear bath also has tons of storage space. It's very comfortable for a family of three.

Good luck in your decision making. I would advise that you decide based on the floor plan first and foremost. It's what matters most in the end because you'll be living in that space when you travel in it, be it a national park or other. I'd say pick the one that feels the most comfortable to you both...and remember the old saying, 'Happy wife, happy life.'
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #12

Quote:
hhawknv
I may be the exception but in my experience finding a reliable repair shop and/or a competent RV technician when needed has occurred far more often. (and is far more difficult), than finding a campground, (National park or otherwise), with sites suitable for the size of my coach.
Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #13

Hi everyone, thanks for your input. It has helped push the DW toward the Palazzo 36.1. I am lucky in that I grew up as a farm boy, was taught how to work and learn. The two things that will help my rv travels is that I was a mechanic and a truck driver. I am glad for that now, for in Lost Wages Nevada the Thor Dealer is CW. Will not buy from there, but I have had fun there. Go in with my farm looking work clothes and old pickup. DW and I are allowed to look at the coaches and not really be bothered for they have written us off as non-buyers that could not afford a Palazzo. Even asked them to run my credit on Monday,( it was Sunday ) they would not even do that. It was funny. It is sad that it seems that all motorhome companies have quality control problems, so I will expect that with the Palazzo. I find it interesting that all companies try to copy each other and that the Palazzo is the only one that has a gas layout with a diesel. Thanks again Happy Memorial Day.
hhawknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #14

Life is a journey, not a destination. Happy travels and enjoy your coach when you get it.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national