Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #1

New, 2015, 33.1

We had a Windsport gasser. Overall we liked it.

We are looking, very seriously, at a new 33.1.

Is the isb 300 hp enough? Torque? Understand it's about 650 ftlbs.

Our toad weighs about 3500 lbs loaded.

We tow a cargo trailer that weighs about the same.

Quality, Fit and finish? Known issues? Advice?

We plan that this will be our last mh purchase.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post

I don't think they make a 2015 33.1. That model was discontinued in 2013.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I have a 2014 palazzo 33.1 with a birthdate of May 2013. I found out that that floor plan was discontinued following the factory tour in July 2013. Searched the Internet and found it in NC. The engine is fine. My toad is a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Last week I picked up a new 35.1 and would like to respond specifically to your question about "quality, fit and finish". My suggestion is to spend time in reading all the issues people talk about on this forum. Then, when you inspect your new coach you will be armed with the knowledge of what to look for and expect. My experience:

The paint has fine swirl marks that look like someone hand buffed while the paint was still soft. No amount of polishing removes these since they appear to be beneath a clear coat. They are not so apparent unless the light comes from a certain direction - the coach overall looks beautiful.

The refrigerator had been man-handled into position which resulted in the woodwork being gouged at the base of the refrigerator. This is not visible with the door closed.

The screws securing the cabinet hinges were mostly stripped (more than 50%). When I got home and put a screwdriver on them I could easily spin the screws - they were holding nothing. One hinge had no screws securing it. Many screws throughout the coach show obvious signs of a power driver over torquing and spinning on the screw head. The stripped screws were easily fixed by inserting longer screws by hand.

Unused screws were found beneath areas not easily swept.

The fabric on the couch has a nick we did not notice until getting home. The foldout bed feature of this couch is not of a useable design except for VERY occasional use.

The water heater intermittently fails to light - worked at the dealer.

A rubber seal on the bedroom slide was loose and the dealer glued it back in position. It is now loose again.

The bedroom drawers are flimsy and catch on the sides when attempting to open. Attention is required to keep them centered when pulling open.

The 4-position valve at the water hose connection works but not as marked. I still need to figure out how to reconnect the piping at the back of the valve. I noticed and removed a screw wedged beneath the plastic water tank - it could have latter caused a leak.

Overnight, water was noticed seeping out from beneath the couch. The dealer seems to have found the source and stopped the leak.

The radio display goes dark occasionally. When I touch the face it seems to come back on - don't know what is going on with this.

A significant amount of basement storage is taken up with the placement of electronics and the frame of the coach. No storage is available behind the doors for the batteries, the inverter, the water hook up, the fresh water tank, the propane tank, and the DEF tank. This being said, I still had unused space after packing for a trip.

The air conditioners are very noisy and make hearing the TV difficult but still OK.

Several switches on walls have no markings - a few others seem to be positioned illogically. There is no light that can be turned on before entering on the steps.

I am going to really like the drop down bed but my plan is to install a permanent mattress and adjust the up position when the bed is stored - more on this latter if I get this done.

Everything about the Freightliner chassis has been of superior quality. This thing drives like a dream and is dead quiet. There is a built in check list and trip computer which seem to be accurate. The speedometer and fuel gauge appear to be calibrated and give accurate readings. I tow a Mini Cooper and have gotten 10.8 mpg in economy mode and 8.6 mpg otherwise. The coach has 1700 miles on it now.

The screw device used to hold the refrigerator doors closed needs to be redesigned to something more easily used.

The side shades at the driver and copilot positions are difficult to operate and are of a poor design.

The Whirlpool dryer, which others don't seem to have this brand, has a sensor that literally pulls the loops out of the towels.

Our 100 lb Chocolate Lab tries to walk down the isle when the coach has all the slides retracted and he gets stuck at the bedroom. There is no place for him to turn around and I have to stuff him beneath the bed and spin him around and pull him out.

All of the room slides have been working smoothly. However, you will notice these have been problematic for others on this forum. My only concern so far has been what appear to be small shavings of aluminum on the racks that the drive gears engage. Hopefully these are wear-in marks and are not an indication that the gears are going to gouge into the racks.

Structurally I have not noticed anything wrong with the coach. Walls seem to be square and fixtures are of high quality. All of the windows are insulated, even the pilot and copilot side windows. However, an outside shade will be needed to slow down heat from the sun warming the front of the coach.

I am sorry for this long post but I needed to get this off my chest. When you pay $160k for something you don't expect it to show obvious signs of poor workmanship and disregard.

Even after posting the above I must say we are very happy with our purchase. You will notice everything I say negative about the coach are things that will be fixed without much effort (assuming the slides keep working). We could find nothing with a floor plan we liked as well as the 35.1 and this thing is truly a pleasure to drive. And, when opened up it is like living in a house.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we've had most of the same issues as you guys but too have worked them out since we bought it.

I swear I will have a fix for the A/C's soon.. every time I bring it in to have it done the DW has more "fun" things to have done. Now it's an LED strip under the awning, front speakers and a quick connect for the propane to hook up a camp stove (ok.. that was mine).. and now we bought new toad and need braking system installed. But.... if all of that is done and they have time they will start work on making A/C's quieter. stay tuned..
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #6

New, 2015, 33.1

33.2. Off a tenth.

Thank you for the most excellent replies, especially jones. Gonna go csi this time. Hard lesson learned.

We have had the coach listed in my signature for just over a year and it has been a disaster. The last straw was when it left us stuck on the roadside and dead in the water, derated power, clogged up diesel particulate filter and broken def system. A known problem with the def pump.

We really liked our 2009 Thor FW Windsport, but it was underpowered and a bear to drive in most wind. So, upgraded, we thought, to the FW Expedition. And, it was a poorly built pos.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrace3 View Post
we've had most of the same issues as you guys but too have worked them out since we bought it.

I swear I will have a fix for the A/C's soon.. every time I bring it in to have it done the DW has more "fun" things to have done. Now it's an LED strip under the awning, front speakers and a quick connect for the propane to hook up a camp stove (ok.. that was mine).. and now we bought new toad and need braking system installed. But.... if all of that is done and they have time they will start work on making A/C's quieter. stay tuned..

Hi Billy,
Congrats on the new TOAD. Let me know how you like it. I couldn't believe it when I found out the 2015 Honda CR-V will NOT be flat towable due to the CVT (Continiously Variable Transmission). Now our 2011 Honda CRV will have to last FOREVER!!! Back in 2001 we had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and we loved it. That was the most comfortable traveling vehicle we have ever had!
Glad to see you bought the 4X4, especially since we get "so much" snow in Louisiana!!
Enjoy and takes some pics so we can see it!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #8

New, 2015, 33.1

Looked at the new 33.2 yesterday. Pretty nice rig. Waiting to hear from the dealer. If the price is right ....

Old 11-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #9

To Jones47172<
Congrats on the new coach and welcome aboard!! Hopefully when you bought the coach the dealer gave you your free 1 year membership to the Thor Diesel Club. It is a great way to connect with other Palazzo Owners. Their website is: Home
There is a forum section of the website along with a member directory with pictures of key players in the Thor company. There is also a rally section that gives a list of all the upcoming rallys. For instance, the May 3-8 2015 Spring Rally in Pine Mountain, GA would be a great place for you to meet other Palazzo owners.
Congrats again! Feel free to PM us if you have any questions.
Karen
Old 11-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Looked at the new 33.2 yesterday. Pretty nice rig. Waiting to hear from the dealer. If the price is right ....

Keep us posted if you decide to buy. The dealership should give you a free 1 year membership to the Thor Diesel Club when you purchase your coach too. While you are waiting for the dealership to say yes or no, feel free to PM us if you have any questions. We have a 2013 33.2

Karen
Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
To Jones47172<
Congrats on the new coach and welcome aboard!! Hopefully when you bought the coach the dealer gave you your free 1 year membership to the Thor Diesel Club. It is a great way to connect with other Palazzo Owners. Their website is: Home
There is a forum section of the website along with a member directory with pictures of key players in the Thor company. There is also a rally section that gives a list of all the upcoming rallys. For instance, the May 3-8 2015 Spring Rally in Pine Mountain, GA would be a great place for you to meet other Palazzo owners.
Congrats again! Feel free to PM us if you have any questions.
Karen
I completed the membership registration about one week ago and received a message saying a response would be sent within 90 days.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:25 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
Keep us posted if you decide to buy. The dealership should give you a free 1 year membership to the Thor Diesel Club when you purchase your coach too. While you are waiting for the dealership to say yes or no, feel free to PM us if you have any questions. We have a 2013 33.2

Karen
Actually it is Thor that gives you the free first years membership to the Thor Diesel Club.

Here is the link that takes you to the page to join.

How to Join
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #13

We also just purchased a 2015 Palazzo Bunkhouse 33.3. I am just finishing up the list of things we have had to modify or improve due to poor workmanship at the factory. Same issue with many stripped or broken screws. Lots of construction debris in the A/C ducting. Unlabeled switches, wires showing all over the place, many rattles, etc. However, once these are all fixed they should be one time issues. Overall, pretty happy with our unit. The Freightliner chassis and all the electric and electronic components work very well. No slide-out issues to date. Will finish a flush fit cover over the entry steps tomorrow. Also replaced the glued on rubber strips on the edge of the steps with screwed on metal strips. Nice unit . . . poor factory workmanship.
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #14

2015 33.3

I believe we will love our coach once we get the bugs fixed. We have a punch list for the dealer but two weeks ago on our way to our first camping trip, we had several check engine lights and the low air light begin to flash, so we detoured to the freightliner service center in Reno. They couldn't get it to replicate the problem so we continued our trip. It worked fine until we returned home and it started again. We unloaded and took it back to freightliner. They have had it for 11 days now and it should be fixed. The tech wrote a 4 page summary of what the issues were, with most being corrosion on several sensors...corrosion on a 2015 coach?

The punch list for the dealer is several cabinet items, where the nails missed their marks. The board over the microwave was held with one nail on the left side and the right side wasn't attached at all. We have a bad rattle in the microwave also.

No water to the ice maker.

When the water heater is on electric, it blows the 20 amp fuse in the control center

Here's one maybe someone can answer. The thermostat for the heat and AC changed to Celsius and I can't get it changed back.

That's the list, taking it back on the 8th to see how well the dealer does on fixing the issues. I believe we will soon love the coach.

David
David T. is offline   Reply With Quote