Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

New wannabe DP owner

Well as many of you my wife and I are considering an escape vehicle. We plan on short trips of 3-5 days but could be lots of driving. We are in Houston and like going to Big Bend about 500 miles away. We like the idea of dry camping and are really looking at the Palazzo 33.2 maybe 13-17 year models.

I have read many reviews about issues with Thor but I am very good at fixing most anything. I am an Electrical contractor and have a large shop with just about any kind of tool you can imagine. I work on electrical systems and have repaired TV's, computers', Scissor lifts, truck, trailers, etc... so I do not mind getting my hand dirty.

I really like the price point, layout, and features of the Palazzo, there does not seem to be much else in a DP in a small format and price range. The only negative I would have is the outside storage, inside looks great.

I looked at the Tiffin 32 breeze but to many issues with the Pre 17 engines and the 17's are more than I wanted to spend.
I also looked at the 26ft Class C Mercedes but I think its just too small and not able to pull a jeep comfortably. I have also looked a Class A gas in the 26-30ft but after riding in friends 34ft gasser it was really had a lot of engine noise, especially pulling up hills. He has since gone to DP

Any comments would be much appreciated while on our quest to find the perfect MH. We want to spend around 100k or so and would prefer a 15-17 year model

Thanks, Bill G
wagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #2

Just came across this. Not mine, don't know the owners, but sounds like a good rig if you are willing to travel a little to get it.
https://boise.craigslist.org/rvs/d/b...854041900.html
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:06 AM   #3

Thanks for the link, looks like a nice rig. I really want to try for the 16-17 year model, not as many around and more expensive but will keep looking.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagge View Post
Thanks for the link, looks like a nice rig. I really want to try for the 16-17 year model, not as many around and more expensive but will keep looking.
I think you will find that Thor sells more motorhomes and brands than any other manufacturer so you surely will hear more complaints just because of that. I have owned 3 different brands and I can honestly say they are all about the same with regard to minor workmanship issues and little repairs and adjustments (at least the 3 brands I owned). I have been happy with my Thor Palazzo and bet you can't find a better DP for the money on the market. That said, there are some other great brands and models. Another one that is a bit longer is the Pace Arrow. Good luck!
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:55 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply, I would love to have your rig, very nice
Old 04-17-2019, 07:23 AM   #6

If you live in Houston, take a few days from time to time and go by PPL Motorhomes. They have a great variety of all RV's to walk through to see what you like and don't like. Every manufacturer will be there at some point. Most units are owner consignment (they do sometimes take trades and PPL ends up as the dealer owned unit) I walked there yard several times when searching for my present RV.
And yes I did end up buying from them after about a year of searching.
I had a gas motorhome so no hurry for me.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #7

Totally off topic but...

If you're going from Houston to BBNP take US90 to Marathon rather than I-10 to Fort Stockton. It's a prettier drive. You can get fuel in Sanderson on the way out.

I'm in Denton now so my route is different but we've done BBNP several times in the Palazzo.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #8

We have a 2015 33.2 and have greatly enjoyed it. As others have noted, for the price point a Palazzo is hard to beat. We bought the unit lightly used and haven’t had any serious issues- most which have been caused by my own ignorance. Try Alvarado, TX for large dealerships with good inventories of used units. Tell them what you are looking for and they’ll find it for you. Good luck in your hunt!
HobieBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #9

Wagge,
Did you look at a Coachman Sportscoach? They are very reasonably priced DPs. I have only seen pictures never seen one in person but they look nice enough.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote