Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

NO Charging on Control Panel from Engine Alternator

Just picked up my 2013 Palazzo from LazyDays last week. All the way home and since, the Control Panel CHARGER will not turn on with engine running. Normal with Shore Power and Generator. Use/Store switch is good. Replaced the BIRD and Trombetta - No help. Noticed that the Trombetta is ALWAYS energized. When I disconnect the "RELAY" wire at the BIRD, the Trombetta de-energizes. Control Panel CHARGE will never come on with Engine Alternator, no matter the status of the Trombetta. With the BIRD out of the circuit, the Aux Start switch energizes the Trombetta normally. Still no CHARGE at the control panel with engine running. Chassis batteries charge normally.

Help!!
JamesWillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 04:13 AM   #2

Trace the large cables from the trombetta and make sure they each go to the respective battery banks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:49 AM   #3

I've had repeated problems similar to yours.

The first time I had problems, I discovered that my Aux Start switch had 3 positions. For emergency starting, I pressed the switch to the 12 o'clock position and held while starting. Once started the Aux Start switch, when released, returned to the center position. With engine running, my house batteries were NOT charging. The third position of the switch was downward to the 6 o'clock position. Remarkably this put the system into house battery charging mode. This will most likely be a VERY rare possibility for you as my coach appears to be a "hybrid" in this scenario.

If this is not your case, check for continuity on all your 12 volt circuit fuses. My aux switch was coupled with the Motoraid rear heating system via one circuit fuse...and it was blown.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:57 AM   #4

You will also want to check the ground cables of both battery banks. They will be the other conducter in the cross bank charging.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #5

James, Magnum remote or inverter/charger are not "aware" of alternator charging and will not show anything on the panel. The only hint of charging from engine alternator would be battery voltage that should show increase if everything is working properly. If you want to see actual charging current from any source you need to add Magnum BMK - battery monitor, then you will have much more information on your DC system.
Mike
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #6

Talking

agree, the Palazzo, using the Magnum RC panel, will NOT reflect alternator as 'Charging' as does Shore Power or Generator(at least when the charger is actually 'on'). It IS charging, at least trickle charging - as the function is to allow any 'residual' volts to flow into the house batteries when there is more than the chassis and battery needs.
The alternator 'charging' is directly to the house batteries, therefore the Magnum panel does not 'know' of any charging... but, as said before, the 'Volts' should reflect it when you are cranked and/or driving, and no longer on shore power, or you don't have the generator running...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:55 PM   #7

Thanks so very much for the thoughts and answers. I will sure let you know what the final result is!
Old 12-11-2017, 07:31 AM   #8

Good Luck with your 2013 Palazzo.We love our 2013 it fits us perfect! And yes our display is works like yours and everything is normal.
Joe.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #9

Thanks Joe. The battery voltage measures the same on both sides of the Trombetta (13.7 volts with engine running) - both old and new Trombetta and with old and new BIRD. However, the chassis batteries seem to be charging while the coach batteries are NOT charging via the alternator.

That is not possible.

When this first started, after picking up the coach from LazyDays (4 months in the shop for slide problems) I drove 5 hours home. The house batteries were down to 9.3 volts and the chassis batteries were fine. The "USE/STORE" switch was on as normal. The CHG function would NOT come on on the Control Panel.

The Palazzo is still covered by Extended Warranty and I have an appointment with the experts next Monday (Camping World is the only show in town).
Meanwhile I will keep troubleshooting - making sure the Alternator is actually charging for instance.

Thanks again!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #10

the 'CHARGE' function does NOT work while you are driving, it is ONLY for incoming Shore Power, or the Generator. The alternator charges Chassis batteries first, and left over amps go to the House batteries, directly, not thru the Inverter/Charger panel.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #11

Many Thanks to all the smart folks who helped me learn WAY more about my Coach Batteries charging systems.

Special THANK YOU to Mr. T for clarifying my problem with one fact - "No CHG from the Engine Alternator". And of course that makes perfect sense.

I have always been in the driver's seat and my wife occasionally checks that we are INVERTING and the voltage is 12.X volts. She never noticed whether the CHG indicator was on and I assumed it should be. (WRONG)

LazyDays had the Palazzo (mostly awaiting parts) sitting with no power for four months. Apparently the Trombetta was not working during a 5 hour drive home by myself. Also apparently my troubleshooting and connected to Shore Power for several days fixed the problem.

We "test drove" for 50 miles today, while Inverting, Refrigerator and many lights on, and the Coach Battery voltage stayed between 12.1 and 12.4 volts. Nice!!

Thank you very much AGAIN!!
Old 12-16-2017, 05:08 AM   #12

your welcome, and happy CHRISTmas

by the way...
we have a son named JaYmes, AND
we have a son named Willard!

Tags
alternator, charging, engine, panel