Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #1

Noxious smell in the Palazzo while underway

Today after leaving the CG we got about 3 miles down the road and there was this horrible noxious smell in the cabin while underway. The small was so bad we had to pull over and get out. It was making our eyes burn and we could not breath. It started off as smelling like lighter fluid then it turned into a strong Kerosene smell.

I opened the roof vents and turned on the fantastic fan and bathroom fan and opened both driver and passenger windows and turned the vent on max but the smell was nearly unbearable. This smell lasted for about 15 miles at 65MPH and then it eased off a little bit but but there is still a slight lighter fluid smell in the cabin.

I'm thinking this is the first time the DEF/DPF re gen thing is going on, but I don't know. We only have right at 1200 miles on the Palazzo now. I drove the thing 1000 miles from Elkhart and never smelled this sort of thing. It does not smell like diesel exhaust nor fresh diesel fuel. It is a very noxious cross between kerosene and/or lighter fluid. I know diesel is very close to diesel, but I just don't think it's that, plus it did tend to go away.
Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
There should absolutely have no odor from your regen. If so, something is terribly wrong!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
There should absolutely have no odor from your regen. If so, something is terribly wrong!
That's what I was afraid of. Any Palazzo owners? Palazzoblues is alive and well.
Road Master base plates
Old 04-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #4

Smell in cabin

Blues-- You drove the 1000 miles but did you use the furnace? The initial smell from a new furnace use is pretty much what you described. It will burn off. I know it was warm this weekend so I doubt you had much furnace use while camping.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
Blues-- You drove the 1000 miles but did you use the furnace? The initial smell from a new furnace use is pretty much what you described. It will burn off. I know it was warm this weekend so I doubt you had much furnace use while camping.
We actually used the furnace this morning for about 3 hours. But it was bit running while we were under way.

Interestingly enough after we got home, tonight we took the Palazzo out to eat... Just to see if we had that smell again. So far we have not. It's just crazy!
Road Master base plates
Old 04-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are they still having to reseal the seams from the engine compartment? I read a lot about soot coming in through the bulkhead. If soot were coming in, the diesel fumes are there as well
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #7

Did you have the windows open while driving. If so I've had that create a vacuum and pull air up thru the bathroom from the black tank But I would guess you would know that smell ??

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Did you have the windows open while driving. If so I've had that create a vacuum and pull air up thru the bathroom from the black tank But I would guess you would know that smell ??

Russell
After we had the smell, I opened the windows and roof vents. That actually helped the situation. In fact, inside the bathroom was not as bad as outside the bathroom. I have smelled plenty of holding tanks in my camping/RVing days. It was not that.
Road Master base plates
Old 04-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #9

On our first motor home we had something like that happen to us. we had a strong smell of acetone that started out week and as time went on it got stronger. After looking around for the source I found a bottle of nail polish remover had fallen over and the cap must not have been on very tight. It was a slow leak but the smell filled the cabin pretty quick. I would start looking for spills, and if that wasn't it , well your back to square one again. Good luck.

Gary & Marcie
2014 Palazzo 36.1
2013 Jeep Cherokee
Garyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyj View Post
On our first motor home we had something like that happen to us. we had a strong smell of acetone that started out week and as time went on it got stronger. After looking around for the source I found a bottle of nail polish remover had fallen over and the cap must not have been on very tight. It was a slow leak but the smell filled the cabin pretty quick. I would start looking for spills, and if that wasn't it , well your back to square one again. Good luck.

Gary & Marcie
2014 Palazzo 36.1
2013 Jeep Cherokee
We drove the Palazzo tonight to dinner. Yeah, we do that sometimes. Call us strange. LOL. But no smell, nothing. I must have ran over a skunk earlier on the way home from the campground.
Road Master base plates
Old 04-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #11

regen is more of an ammonia smell... but when driving, you wont ever know its doing a regen.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Could be something in a heating duct melting and giving off fumes. With registers set in the floor it is easy to have something drop in. Particularly challenging with children.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Could be something in a heating duct melting and giving off fumes. With registers set in the floor it is easy to have something drop in. Particularly challenging with children.
The heat was not running while we were driving. Think Kerosene or lighter fluid. Stick your head in a bucket of it with no ventilation. That's what we smelt. Now it has went away.
Road Master base plates
Old 04-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #14

It is all the bad luck burning off YOU ARE SAVED!!!!
See you in Myrtle Beach!!
Karen
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell