Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #1

Omni directional TV antenna

I was on the roof yesterday and noticed the tv antenna was at a bit of an angle. When I touched it, it wobbled. It is very loose on the post. i gave it a tug and it doesn't seem like it would come off, but it is definitely wobbly on the post. Is there a way to tighten it?

We are considering replacing it. What is the best omni directional antenna we could get? This one just doesn't seem to get great reception. Though it will pick up a lot of channels, a lot are repeats and some aren't watchable. Looking for recommendations.

Thanks!
vmyoung61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #2

I noticed the same thing yesterday on ours. I looked up the manual on the Winegard site and found that you cannot remove the unit from the post. It may not be pressed all the way down. If you can turn it a little while pressing down slightly you may find it drops into a slot where it will no longer turn. Then you may be able to press it down until it snaps into place.
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
antenna

I had the same antenna on my rig. It does wobble. I was at the rally in Goshen and had it replaced with a King Omni Pro. No more wobble. Far far better reception. It is almost a direct swap out. You unscrew the base; disconnect the cable. Route cable through new base and connect cable to antenna. screw down the base with generous sealant and you are done. Important! Turn off power to antenna!
billbaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnoel View Post
I noticed the same thing yesterday on ours. I looked up the manual on the Winegard site and found that you cannot remove the unit from the post. It may not be pressed all the way down. If you can turn it a little while pressing down slightly you may find it drops into a slot where it will no longer turn. Then you may be able to press it down until it snaps into place.
Actually, you can take it off, but if you do, It won't lock back in place. I'm thinking this is what happened. We had our Palazzo at an RV place for some warranty work and mentioned that the main TV took forever to scan for antenna channels. I'm thinking they may have taken it off to make sure the connection was good. This broke the tabs that locks it in place. Unfortunately, The only way to check to see if the connection it tight, is to remove it from the post. The connector barely sticks out of the "saucer." (Mine was loose. Probably because it has been spinning on the post for who knows how long?)

Though it can be pushed back down on the post and it won't come back off without pulling it off, it will be wobbly and will spin on the post.

If you ever have to remove it, just apply upward pressure while you turn it on the post, back and forth. Just know it won't lock back in place.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbaio View Post
I had the same antenna on my rig. It does wobble. I was at the rally in Goshen and had it replaced with a King Omni Pro. No more wobble. Far far better reception. It is almost a direct swap out. You unscrew the base; disconnect the cable. Route cable through new base and connect cable to antenna. screw down the base with generous sealant and you are done. Important! Turn off power to antenna!
Thanks! I will be replacing with the King Omni Pro. Winegard let me know real quick that this had to have been done by an impact and that it wasn't warrantied. Funny that it doesn't show any evidence of "impact."

After thinking about it, I've decided it may have been pulled off at an RV service when I complained about the main TV taking forever to scan. I believe they took it off to check the connection and broke the tabs, but rather than replace it, they just stuck it back on and sent me on my way.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbaio View Post
Do you have to run power to the King OmniPro?
Does the stick antenna have power to it?
tucson.don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson.don View Post
Do you have to run power to the King OmniPro?
Does the stick antenna have power to it?
billbaio said it was a direct swap. I guess they both get power thru the cable. When I pulled the "saucer" off the post, there was only the coax cable.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #8

billbaio - When you say "turn off the power to the antenna," do you mean the booster switch inside the coach?
Old 11-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
antenna

Yes. both the stock antenna & the King receive power through the coaxial cable. So you need to make sure the push button switch to supply power to the antenna is off. The led should not be illuminated when the power is off.
billbaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

All coax supply power thru the center wire and the outer woven is the ground
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna